shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I get a Tiffany platinum band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
I''m looking for a platinum band of about 2mm. I tried on a perfect one at Tiffany''s today: http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00368&mcat=148203&cid=288152&search_params=s+5-p+3-c+288152-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

I know people have said when you buy from Tiffany''s, you''re paying for the blue box. Is that the case here? I have no idea what a reasonable price is for something like this. If so, any other suggestions for a vendor? It''s pretty basic, so I''m guessing it should be easy to find something like this from a number of online vendors??

Thanks!! (And sorry if this has been discussed before, I tried to search for threads about plain platinum bands, but didn''t find an answer)

SoontobeMrsB

Rough_Rock
I don''t think thats a bad price for a plain platinum band. I got a plain platinum band from Windsor Jewelers for $590, which was also 2mm. For an extra $100 they curved it to fit around my e-ring. We looked a few other places and found $700-$800 to be the norm for a plain band. Hope it helps!

solitairegirl

Rough_Rock
LS, I''m in the process of looking for exactly the same thing! I found cheaper ones at Blue Nile ($335) and e-weddingbands.com (a range of prices depending on style, starting at $199). Here are the links:

http://www.bluenile.com/wedding-ring-platinum_22?oid1=350&oid2=2379&oid3=22&filter_id=0&nav1=band_channel.asp&catid=126&set_shape=
http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/platinum_wedding_bands.html

I''ve heard that you should take into account the weight of the band when considering price - heavier bands require more platinum and therefore cost more. Anyway, I''m probably going to go with BN, just because that''s where my FI got my ering, which entitles him to a discount on their wbands.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes you are paying for the name. You can certainly do quite a bit better if price is your major factor.

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
ditto neatfreak.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Tiffany usually makes their platinum rings out of a very durable platinum/ruthenium mix, and it seems to resist scratches and turning gray better than some I have seen. So to me, it might be worth it unless you know you are getting the same alloy.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I''m looking to buy one also. I will probably buy from e-weddingrings.com. I have never bought from Tiffany but it seems your paying more for the name.

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info! Yes, that was I guess the heart of my question -- whether there would be a quality difference between the Tiffany v. for example, one from e-weddingbands.com. It will be the wedding band that I wear 24/7 so I want to get one that stands up well over time. But I don't *need* one from Tiffany just for the name. It's just that's the only one I've tried on so far and it looked perfect. So I'd like to find something similar. So the problem is that if I get the BN one for example, they might use a different, less durable alloy as the 5% alloy than Tiffanys does?

Is that why the alternatives are less expensive, because of a less expensive alloy? Or do they use less platinum. For example, perhaps the e-weddingband.com version sits lower, even though it's also 2mm wide? It's hard to figure out via pictures.

Maybe I will order one of the less expensive ones online and just return it if it doesn't sit right...

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E-weddingbands will not only tell you the mm widrh, but also how thick the band is. Maybe you can find the same thing out from Tiffany's or another vendor and that might help you in deciding. Their website also states that their bands are made of 95% platinum and 5% ruthenium.

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Thanks DiamondDana! You''re right, e-weddingbands says they use the same platinum/ruthenium mix. That makes me feel more comfortable trying them I think...

"Your platinum is 95% pure. What is the other 5%?
All e-Wedding Bands platinum bands are 95% pure platinum and 5% ruthenium. This particular platinum/ruthenium alloy combination -- generally referred to as PLAT or PT950 -- is the highest purity available in platinum bands. Platinum wedding bands made with ruthenium are harder and more durable than platinum wedding bands made with iridium. In addition, all of our platinum bands are made from the highest quality seamless tubing with the exception of a few of our Unique and hand-woven or braided styles. "
http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/faq.html

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2008 8:12:17 PM
Author: lovinsparkles

Thanks DiamondDana! You''re right, e-weddingbands says they use the same platinum/ruthenium mix. That makes me feel more comfortable trying them I think...

''Your platinum is 95% pure. What is the other 5%?

All e-Wedding Bands platinum bands are 95% pure platinum and 5% ruthenium. This particular platinum/ruthenium alloy combination -- generally referred to as PLAT or PT950 -- is the highest purity available in platinum bands. Platinum wedding bands made with ruthenium are harder and more durable than platinum wedding bands made with iridium. In addition, all of our platinum bands are made from the highest quality seamless tubing with the exception of a few of our Unique and hand-woven or braided styles. ''
http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/faq.html
That is great to know!!! One of my relatives has the 95/5 with iridium, and it was dark gray after a year. That''s why I pointed that out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results