shape
carat
color
clarity

should I get a cat? Cat people, please help me :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Harleigh - that is too cute! My DH and I rescued a cat who ended up living with my mom (he still does), who was a big mush like yours, and it turns out that one he settled into a happy and relaxed life, he started the drooling too - maybe its a boy cat thing! Our boy cat also likes to sleep on my head. Hmmm...maybe there is something about boy kitties
3.gif
Seriously though, he sounds like such a sweetie, and I'm sure that when you and FI move in together Maverick will adjust as long as FI/DH is nice to him (maybe try having him feed Maverick exclusively for a while - that worked with our kitties and DH when they didn't bond to him as fast), and as long as you make plenty of time to give him the love he so clearly enjoys getting from you
9.gif
36.gif

ETA: the best is when you catch FI/DH talking baby-talk to the cat because they've fallen for kitty just as much as you have - too funny!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
LOL AG! Another drooling cat, I love it!

FI claims to like Maverick (even though he''s not a cat person) and plays with him whenever he''s here...he doesn''t usually stay over here that much, though, so he hasn''t had to experience sharing the bed with a giant feline all that much! I am afraid to even imagine, cuz my kitty MUST have human contact at all times!

And sadly, there is no bonding time needed...my little fatty believes that every human who enters this house is here to serve him. I think he figures that if you have fingers, they were meant to scratch behind his ears and rub his belly...he''s kind of, um, well, a bit of a tramp, cuz he''ll fling himself down spread eagle in front of whoever is nearby in hopes of getting some attention. He acts like he gets NO love when other people are around, making them ask if I pay any attention to the "poor" kitty! Poor kitty, my a$$!!! He''s usually sitting right here on my lap drooling the whole time I''m on the computer, which, since I found PS, is a LONG time each day I''m home! Sheesh! J

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Harleigh - don''t you love how they are such characters? I have a fair amount of experience with both dogs and cats and in my experience, cats really have much more distinctive personalities. I love how they are all so different, but so funny! Maverick really sounds like a character - I''m sure he''s fun to live with, and you must spend a lot of time laughing
2.gif
36.gif
9.gif
When we got our kitties I promised DH hours of amusement from them and we haven''t been disappointed, although they can definitely be pains in the you-know-what at times, overall, they really are fun to live with.

I really think Maverick will adjust fine when the times comes - as you said, he''ll probably just see it as another set of hands to scratch behind his ears and another lap to sit on
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Amy, I think it''s wonderful that you''re asking these questions in advance, so you can make a thoughtful decision. Too many people acquire animals as if they''re acquiring houseplants, without thinking through the level of responsibility it will entail.
36.gif

Anyway, if you have a nice SPCA by you, I''d suggest taking the kids to see the cats so you have a chance to see how one will interact with the kids. Since you''re dealing with young kids, I also suggest getting an adult cat as opposed to a kitten; an adult cat''s personality will be more clear and, since you''re a busy mom, you won''t have to deal as much with the havoc a rambunctious baby will wreak and the training that will be involved.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read all the other posts, but I can testify that cats are awesome. Coolest animals on the planet.

Other than German Shepherds, which are pretty awesome as well.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the wonderful replies! Welll I still want a cat, and I promise I won''t declaw! I have decided to wait 2 years until my youngest is 5 and she will understand to not harrass the cat. I would love to get a kitten and watch him/her grow up. My older kits have their heart set on a kitten. But I don''t think a kitten and a 3 year old are a good idea. I know my 5 year old is old enough to understand about respecting a kitten but my 3 year old is really clueless. So if at 5 she is not ready for a kitten, I will either wait another year or get a grown cat.

Something to look forward to :)

I think its good for my kids that they know that its coming. So they don''t feel so pet deprived.

I have a big aquarium. Will the cat bother the fish since its a close in aquarium? Or would I need to figure out how to move the aquarium into a room with a closed door. Right now its in my family room and I really enjoy the fish there. Its right off my kitchen. I love seeing the fish. Especially at night with the light on inside it.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Amy - I''m glad all the advice was helpful for you. I think your decision sounds very sensible and well thought-out.

Re: the fish tank, I might consider moving it. Cats, and especially kittens, can get into a surprising array of things, and I think it would be less sad to keep it in a room with a closed door than to come home one day and find a smashed-up fish tank and all the contents of tank spread throughout the house.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Hehe.. I have a mental image of your future cat with one paw in your aquarium trying to swipe a fish. Honestly, I think as long as it''s a large aquarium and you keep a heavy and strong lid on it, the fish will be fine. The cat will spend many happy hours sitting in front of the aquarium watching the fish
2.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
We always had fish tanks and cats and as long as there is a lid on it, you should be fine. The only problem we had is that my cat used to sit on the top and kept kicking the heat dial. The water was close to boiling and the fish EXPLODED. THAT was a mess! But that was a complete accident and could have been avoided if we had kept him off the top. A spray bottle and a few firm words can help train your cat to stay off the top.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee hee, Amy...did you happen to catch the picture of my giant beast looking into my aquarium???

My friends all call that my "Kitty ****"...and it''s always on the "Fish" channel.
11.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
The fish/aquarium thought kind of cracks me up and worries me at the same time :) Well I have 2 years to find a solution. Funny thing is I started the aquarium 2 years ago when we moved here because my kids wanted a pet. Well my youngest kids were 1 and 3 at the time and both still in diapers. There was NO way I was getting a furry pet at the time and dealing with more poop LOL. So we settled of fish. The kids were all excited about the fish for about 2 weeks and then it became my project. I can't believe they are still alive after 2 years.

Anyway, the posts here have been great and really helpful. I also think that by taking this route, not only will my future cat be happy in our home, my kids will enjoy the cat more and it will teach THEM to be responsible pet owners when they grow up. I am a huge believer that kids learn best by example.

I'll have to check out those cat/fish photos. I'm sure my fish would make a tasty treat.

My fish are quite simple actually. They are fancy goldfish. I originally started out with 4 in a 3 gallon bowl. Then I learned the bowl was too small so I got a 10 gallon tank with a filter and light. They grew super fast and got really huge within 18 months. so I just moved them to a 20 gallon tank with a filter and light. My husband thinks it is quite funny how my simple goldfish now have this huge tank. The are actually really pretty. They are really different looking and have these cool looking long fancy tails.

Anybody ever read that story as a kid about the boy who gets a goldfish that grows and grows so big it starts in a bowl and then ends up in a battub and then in a swimming pool? Thats how my goldfish have been. I learned from them I should have researched before buying 4 of them. I bought 4 since I have 4 kids and each of the kids have named one.

Anyhow. I learned that these fish can grow up to 6 inches long or more and can live 10-15 years if properly cared for. Pretty tempting for a cat LOL. I think a super solid table and heavy lid may be the answer. I have a while to worry about that.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 7:51:59 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
I haven''t read all the other posts, but I can testify that cats are awesome. Coolest animals on the planet.

Other than German Shepherds, which are pretty awesome as well.
I had to smile when I read this post... as you all know, we are totally, 100% CAT CRAZY, but we have had two wonderful, beloved dogs in our married life as well... and they''ve both been German Shepherds!
1.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I love the photos! Thanks for posting. The cat and aquarium one really cracks me up. Yup, that would be my house :)

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Well, I am probably the biggest aquarium dork on this forum, so I am not surprised one bit by your goldfish story. Many people think goldfish are simple and easy to care for, which they are, given the "right" conditions. Bowls and goldfish never mix well. In fact, these guys are probably one of your most "dirty" fish out there, so they need a large amount of filtration to survive. Yes, they can grow quite large, if properly cared for. Yes, they can live over 10 years if properly cared for.

I had a "fancy" goldfish live for 8 years. It would have lived longer but it died because something freaked him out and he jumped and his head hit the lid of the aquarium so hard, it popped open. That "thud" sound will never leave me. Sadly, I found him at the bottom of the aquarium, laying there motionless, but he was breathing. He "woke" up later, but was not quite right and died the next day. It was sad because he was a healthy fish, until something startled the heck out of him.

Currently, I have a 35 gal aquarium and a cat. My cat really shows no interest in it. However, I have read stories of cats getting into aquariums and drowning...not sure how that happens. I do not necessarily think you will have to move your aquarium, but rather, you can train your cat/kitten that the aquarium is off limits. When the time comes, what may also need to do is ensure all of the power cords are tucked away inside of your stand (assuming you have an enclosed wood stand). Kittens like to chew on power cords!

To be honest, after having aquariums, I have found a cat to be much easier!! Oh yes, if you ever have questions about your goldfish, you can post them on http://www.aquahobby.com/ It is a great site, with loads of info and fish experts.

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 11:42:47 PM
Author: amylikesrocks

The fish/aquarium thought kind of cracks me up and worries me at the same time :) Well I have 2 years to find a solution. Funny thing is I started the aquarium 2 years ago when we moved here because my kids wanted a pet. Well my youngest kids were 1 and 3 at the time and both still in diapers. There was NO way I was getting a furry pet at the time and dealing with more poop LOL. So we settled of fish. The kids were all excited about the fish for about 2 weeks and then it became my project. I can''t believe they are still alive after 2 years.

Anyway, the posts here have been great and really helpful. I also think that by taking this route, not only will my future cat be happy in our home, my kids will enjoy the cat more and it will teach THEM to be responsible pet owners when they grow up. I am a huge believer that kids learn best by example.

I''ll have to check out those cat/fish photos. I''m sure my fish would make a tasty treat.

My fish are quite simple actually. They are fancy goldfish. I originally started out with 4 in a 3 gallon bowl. Then I learned the bowl was too small so I got a 10 gallon tank with a filter and light. They grew super fast and got really huge within 18 months. so I just moved them to a 20 gallon tank with a filter and light. My husband thinks it is quite funny how my simple goldfish now have this huge tank. The are actually really pretty. They are really different looking and have these cool looking long fancy tails.

Anybody ever read that story as a kid about the boy who gets a goldfish that grows and grows so big it starts in a bowl and then ends up in a battub and then in a swimming pool? Thats how my goldfish have been. I learned from them I should have researched before buying 4 of them. I bought 4 since I have 4 kids and each of the kids have named one.

Anyhow. I learned that these fish can grow up to 6 inches long or more and can live 10-15 years if properly cared for. Pretty tempting for a cat LOL. I think a super solid table and heavy lid may be the answer. I have a while to worry about that.
I''m a HUGE aquarium fiend, too. I have upwards of 20 tanks in my house. I love my fancy goldies, too....as a matter of fact, they''re going to be appearing in a book soon. :)

But, a 20 gallon tank isn''t nearly big enough for 4 adult goldies...probably didn''t want to hear that.
3.gif
Ten gallons (twenty is really better) per fish is what you should be shooting for. I have my 6 goldies in a 75 gallon tank. And depending on what variety you have, 6 inches isn''t close to full-grown. My adult female Ryukin is 8 inches, not including fins, just body. Some varieties get even larger.

My cat couldn''t care less about my fish. You''d probably want to stay away from any of the water-loving kitties, like bengals, though if you''re going to keep fish.
Another thing to consider is that male cats have a much higher incidence of urinary tract infections than female cats because of their tiny urethras. This is something I''m getting to learn all about first-hand, as my kitty has crystals and stones.

Elliott''s a big drooler, too. He also likes to be carried like a baby. He would let you carry him around for hours, but he won''t sit on your lap.
26.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 2:40:16 PM
Author: Nicki
I''m a HUGE aquarium fiend, too. I have upwards of 20 tanks in my house. I love my fancy goldies, too....as a matter of fact, they''re going to be appearing in a book soon. :)

But, a 20 gallon tank isn''t nearly big enough for 4 adult goldies...probably didn''t want to hear that.
3.gif
Ten gallons (twenty is really better) per fish is what you should be shooting for. I have my 6 goldies in a 75 gallon tank. And depending on what variety you have, 6 inches isn''t close to full-grown. My adult female Ryukin is 8 inches, not including fins, just body. Some varieties get even larger.
Good point. My 8 yr old goldfish had a 20 gal (long) aquarium to himself and had a power filter on it designed for a 40 gal tank.

Wow Nicki, 20 tanks is quite a bit, how do you manage to maintain all of them?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sure everyone on here knows that I am a cat freak. I have three. Two I''ve had as kittens (one at 6 weeks we rescued from our backyard -- Frodo00 and another we adopted because she was on death row at 5 months-- Hally in my AV)... and one we got when he was a year old, my Duncan.

My Duncan is the most attached to the TWO of us and if the most affectionate all around. He''s also the most intiutive about our feelings. Hally is a complete Daddy''s girl and HOWLS if her daddy is missing too long. Mommy just won''t do. And my Frodo, he was feral... and still is to a great extent but he trust mommy and daddy-- although no one else and when HE wants to be (every night after 7pm) he is a snuggly wonder of a love.

I also volunteered at a shelter for 3 years. I highly advocate adopting. And letting hte cat chose you. Don''t go in expecting a specific type of cat, or color or anything. It''s okay to have a preference. But keep your mind open as you may find that the right cat for you will walk up to you and wrap you around his fuzzy little paws no matter what you were looking for.

In you situation I might also recomend fostering if you can before adopting a cat permanently. If you''ve never had a cat, they are wonderful mysterious creatures that need a lot of understanding space and patience. They may not be the right pets for you... as much as I love them... they aren''t for everyone.

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/16/2007 12:02:45 PM
Author: omieluv

Date: 8/14/2007 2:40:16 PM

3.gif
Good point. My 8 yr old goldfish had a 20 gal (long) aquarium to himself and had a power filter on it designed for a 40 gal tank.

Wow Nicki, 20 tanks is quite a bit, how do you manage to maintain all of them?
It''s not SO bad. It takes me about 2 1/2-3 hours a week to do water changes on all the tanks. That''s what Sunday evenings are for.
3.gif
I have a Python, which is a semi-automatic water changing system. Mostly I watch TV or post on the computer while the python does all the work. At the moment, I have 3 tanks FULL of bright orange koi angel fish babies. There are few fishy-things cuter than angelfish babies.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2007 10:55:01 AM
It''s not SO bad. It takes me about 2 1/2-3 hours a week to do water changes on all the tanks. That''s what Sunday evenings are for.
3.gif
I have a Python, which is a semi-automatic water changing system. Mostly I watch TV or post on the computer while the python does all the work. At the moment, I have 3 tanks FULL of bright orange koi angel fish babies. There are few fishy-things cuter than angelfish babies.
I have a Python too, which is the best invention ever for water changes. Have you ever used Python''s algea mit?
That works wonders! It''s funny, when I am changing the water, my cat likes to chase the water through the tube, it''s so funny, especially since she is not fast.

In my 35hex, I have a 3.5 yr old koi angel, he (or she) is so beautiful. I love the koi angels, but it is hard to find one with the "right" amount of orange. I am going to assume you will be trading in your baby koi in at your LFS for supplies when they are older.

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/17/2007 11:54:01 AM
Author: omieluv

Date: 8/17/2007 10:55:01 AM
3.gif
I have a Python too, which is the best invention ever for water changes. Have you ever used Python''s algea mit?
That works wonders! It''s funny, when I am changing the water, my cat likes to chase the water through the tube, it''s so funny, especially since she is not fast.

In my 35hex, I have a 3.5 yr old koi angel, he (or she) is so beautiful. I love the koi angels, but it is hard to find one with the ''right'' amount of orange. I am going to assume you will be trading in your baby koi in at your LFS for supplies when they are older.
I haven''t tried the Python Algae mitt. I use the magnetic algae scrapers in my tanks instead.

My kois are all high-orange. The parents of all 3 tanks worth of babies are over 85% orange. Mom is 95% orange...so gorgeous! The babies look like they''re going to follow in their parents'' footsteps. I belong to an aquarium society, so I bring fish I''ve bred in to our monthly auctions or to the big annual auctions. There''s one next month in Rhode Island that I''ll be brining a huge bunch of angel babies to.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2007 10:41:32 AM
I haven''t tried the Python Algae mitt. I use the magnetic algae scrapers in my tanks instead.

My kois are all high-orange. The parents of all 3 tanks worth of babies are over 85% orange. Mom is 95% orange...so gorgeous! The babies look like they''re going to follow in their parents'' footsteps. I belong to an aquarium society, so I bring fish I''ve bred in to our monthly auctions or to the big annual auctions. There''s one next month in Rhode Island that I''ll be brining a huge bunch of angel babies to.
Your kois sound beautiful! My koi is probably 25% orange, with the rest of his body is white. The orange is very rich in color and almost looks red and it extends into his dorsal fin. I would love a koi with 85% organge, but he was the healthiest I could find.

I have not yet tried magnetic scrapers, but have seen them in action. The python algae mitt is good for most purposes, but is not perfect. I would recommend for smaller aquariums.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh - You should TOTALLY get a kitty!

I recently adopted my little Cleopatra (we call her Cleo) about 3 months ago. I had never owned a cat before (my family owned zillions of dogs and swore up and down that we weren't "cat people")...But little Cleo has changed my mind and heart completely.

She is a joy to have around the house :) She is cuddly, affectionate, a loud talker, an entertainer, an acrobat, and a sweetheart. We adopted her from a rescue shelter after someone dumped Cleo and her siblings into a dumpster. After lots of care and affection, she is a happy kitty who has her spurts of energy, but never climbs on the furniture and she only scratches on her sissal post.

I honestly can't say how happy I am that I got a cat instead of a dog. If you are even considering a cat, GET ONE! You will be so happy you did...They are a joy to have around...and you'll be saving a life
36.gif

PICT0001.jpg

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Cleo is cute and I am glad you were able to rescue her. Many "dog" people out there would be surprised to know that cats can be very social and people oriented. Sure, not all cats are, but I think it has to do with how they are raised and of course their genetics. Cleo sounds wonderful and it sounds like she has a wonderful home!

I adopted my cat too, though she is the opposite of of Cleo in several areas, I would never give her up and cannot understand why anyone did!

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much....I absolutely adore her - so just another kick to get a kitty for the original poster....My darling Cleo - I had a "photo shoot" at home with my darling...apparently, Cleo loves the camera :)

PICT0014.JPG

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cleo is just gorgeous!!!! What a love. Glad she was rescued and found a good home!!
36.gif

I think sometimes some [dog] people think cats are aloof and not affectionate....ya just have to realize it's on their terms, not yours. But that makes their affections all the more appreciated when they're doled out.
emcat.gif
face23.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Cleo is so beautiful!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
And what a wonderful story, thank you for sharing with us!

I have always been a "cat" person... like dogs, have had dogs... but to me, there''s just nothing like a CAT! So welcome to the wonderful world of being loved by a cat... there''s lots of us crazeeee cat people around here, so you are in good company!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
awww...Cleo is gorgeous!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
And what a wonderful story - thank you so much for rescuing that sweet baby and giving her a loving home, she is really a cutie pie!
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results