shape
carat
color
clarity

should I get a cat? Cat people, please help me :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I am wondering if I'm crazy to consider a cat considering my hectic lifestyle. My kids are desperate for a pet. they would be happy with either a cat or a dog. We have fish and they complain they can't pet fish LOL. I like both cats and dogs. I have owned a dog in the past and know its a ton ton of work. I'm sure cats are a lot of work as well but am leaning towards a cat that would be a housecat. I am home a lot but I come and go a lot too. I have 4 kids ages 3, 5, 8, 11 and am wondering if a cat would be a bad choice and get upset living with so many young chldren.

I miss having a furry pet as well. I expect it to be a lot of work of course, but am thinking a housecat might be a little bit easier than a dog because in the cold midwest winters I won't have to walk the cat LOL.

I am researcing best breeds for kids. But I also am thinking if I'm going to get a kitten, I would rather get it from the humane society and save it rather than from a breeder.

Do kittens tear of furnature and scratch at kids? Or would it ignore the kids? I would of course teach the kids to not be mean to the cat but my 3 year old is kind of unpredictable.

Or should I wait until she is older?

I would love to hear advice and thoughts on this?

Any tips on how to choose a kitten? How to tell if its good around kids? can the shelter help with that?

Are they hard to litterbox train?

Are males better with kids or females or does it not make a difference?

My husband mentioned declawing to me. But I have heard thats equivalent to decapating part of its paw. But I'm also concerned about my kids getting clawed. On the other hand, I don't want to mutilate an animal. What is the though on that issue? I really have no idea.

edited to add- I did not want to give the impression that the kids would be in charge of the cats care. I would be in charge of its care but I'm just wondering if lots of kids and a cat are a good mix.

I want to make sure I think of all angles and plan on doing lots of research before making a decision. Any suggestions for websites to learn?

I feel that since cats live so long, its not fair to a potential one I adopt or my kids to jump into it without making sure we are ready and able to take care if him/her.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Amy. I am a cat lover and we have two. One was from a shelter, one a stray. Both are so sweet and bring so much love into our lives (I know cheesy!). They have wonderful personalities. Anyways, every cat I have ever had (I grew up with them) knew how to use the litter box. We always would place them in it so they would know but we never had any issues.

My cats do not love children but they have never been around them (well soon that will change
2.gif
) They are not mean to them but do run and hide when our neighbor''s little girl comes over. They are very social with adults though. I am sure any kitten would get used to your kids and it would be fine. Scratches do happen but I have been scratched by a friend''s dog too so I think that just goes along with having a pet. Declawing is really a personal choice. Many times at the shelter they have older cats who are already declawed if that is something you would be interested in.

Cats are SOOOOO much easier than dogs. They are fine when they are alone for the day. Don''t need to be let out or walked. We leave food out and they graze. I think you and your family would be very happy with one. Keep us updated!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I have four cats and two kids! The first cat of the bunch is 14 and she never has been very social, so she ignores my kids (both boys ages 5 & 6). The other three cats were adopted (from a home that my husband found from a newspaper classified) as kittens just last summer. Two of those three do rub up against my kids and the boys pet the cats a bit. The fourth one (who is my close buddy - he sleeps with me and hangs out with me) is scared of the kids and runs when he sees them.

Cats have their own personalities so it''s impossible to guess how they''ll react around your kids, but be sure to look for one who nuzzles up to your hand! Maybe find a pair of kittens from the same litter so the cats feel more at home. I think that the kittens we adopted are so much more loving since they have their litter mates. (they''re not as great of companions for the kids as they are for me. I love cuddyling w/them at night). I''d *for sure* look for male cats. Out of the 9 cats I''ve had, the 7 males have always been more affectionate.

I agree that the cats will know the litter box. Start out putting it in a close location and slowing move it toward the final liter box spot.

As far as furniture, we had to move our good couch set up into our bedroom and limit the amount of time the cats are around it as they''re kind of scratching it up. You can always try using a squirt bottle to stop the scratching. I haven''t done this. I AM against declawing, so I think that if furniture is that much of an issue, it''s better not to get a cat. Oh, you can get strips of tape at the petstore that can be used to cover the spots cats tend to scratch.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey amy - I think its so wonderful that you are trying to make such a responsible and informed decision about adding a pet to your family, and also that you are considering rescuing. I volunteer at my local SPCA, and we see all the time the tragic consequences of people who don''t do either, so thank you so much for thinking about these things in advance.

First of all, I HIGHLY recommend you check out the free handouts you can download at this link They will cover everything from cats and kids (and how to decide if a cat is right for your kids and if so what age cat to get), to giving information about training cats how to scratch appropriately. Please look through them when you get a chance - I''ve got three cats and I refer to this page ALL THE TIME for information about cat behavior issues and training and have found it invaluable - the advice on this page has not yet steered me wrong, and of course its all free which is nice!

Second, please please please do not declaw your cat if you get one. The people who told you that it is mutilation are absolutely correct. Imagine if, when you walked, you could only walk on the balls of your feet (from the back of your toes forward - in other words, your arch and heel couldn''t touch the ground). This is how cats walk - its just their anatomy. When you declaw a cat, its as though you''ve cut off its toes. I''m sure you can see immediately how painful and traumatic this is for the cat. Cats who are declawed not only go through horrific pain and suffering, but they often undergo extremely undesirable personality changes as well - they tend to become more skittish, and are much more likely to bite because they feel they can''t defend themselves without their claws. You definitely don''t want a cat that''s prone to biting around your kids.

There are a couple of good options to protect your kids and furniture from scratching - get kitty a good-quality cardboard scratching post and rub catnip into it, keep the cat''s claws trimmed (they can do it at Petco for like $8 if you don''t want to do it yourself), and/or consider using softpaws - these are plastic caps that are glued onto the cats claws and make it so they aren''t sharp. They are painless for the cat, and fall off naturally with the claw growth in about a month, at which time they can be replaced. They are pretty cheap and again, you can apply them yourselves or many groomers and vets will do it for you, often free of charge.

The handouts will cover most of what I said above and will say here, but to try to address a couple of your other questions. First, I would consider getting two cats instead of one. They can keep each other busy and out of trouble when you''re not around, and cats that aren''t lonely are much less likely to become destructive. Two cats is only marginally more work than one in terms of caring for them.

I would consider an older cat - perhaps even an older kitten, say above 6 months of age. I say this because small kittens are very fragile and can easily be injured or killed by kids. It isn''t that the child means to hurt the kitty, they are just very delicate at that age, and it really is a tragedy for the child and the kitten and the rest of the family if/when something like this happens.

You may consider researching rescues in your area that place their cats in foster homes. Any decent rescue or shelter should be able to give you a good amount of information about the cats in their care (personality, suitability with children, etc...), but the most complete information is available from foster situations, because then they have actually seen the cat in a home setting, often around children and/or other pets, so you have really good information about how the cat will be in those situations. If you need help finding such a group, let me know where you''re located (approximately) and I''d be happy to help you search for rescues that do fosters in your area.

Honestly I don''t think males vs. females matter - everyone has their preferences, but I really think its much more about the individual cat. Another advantage of adopting a slightly older cat is that you have a much better idea of what its final personality is like, whereas a kitten''s personality doesn''t always predict what it will be like as an adult cat.

Finally, thank you again for doing your research and trying to make a responsible, informed decision. Goodness knows there would not be so many millions of animals dying in shelters if more people took the time to educate themselves and understand the commitment they are making in getting a pet. I really hope the information and link above is helpful and please keep us updated with further questions, etc...

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
So, your kids WILL get scratched. They probably won''t get seriously scratched, but the kitten will play, they''ll play with the kitten, the kitten will swipe at them for fun. It won''t really hurt them (trust me, I''ve been getting kitty scratches for months now with no damage). If they really squeeze or hurt the kitten it might bite or scratch them fairly hard, but nothing a little Neosporin won''t cure.

But if you can''t handle your kids getting scratched when they a) inadvertently hurt the cat or b)getting scratched during playtime DON''T GET A CAT. They are far less likely to *actually* hurt your children, in the way a dog could, but they might occasion a fair bit of "Yeow!" that first year or two.

Like AG said, don''t declaw. And not just for humane reasons. I''ve been bitten by a scared, neurotic cat, and it is MUCH worse than being clawed. Very painful, can get infected, whole nine yards. And declawed cats are much more likely to become neurotic biters. If you want to keep them from clawing too much, get those kitty plastic nail covers or keep their claws well trimmed by the vet.

Also, if you don''t want litterbox problems, clean it 2x/day, and don''t make it your kid''s chore to clean the box. They won''t do it enough (both been around children with cats and had cats as a child) and the cat will use your living room as a toilet, then everyone is sad because you have to give the cat away.

Most cats I''ve known are good with children, some aren''t. Get an outgoing, playful kitten, or adopt an older cat who has already proven his disposition. Keep in mind that the kitten is a "child" too and won''t know his good behavior yet...he may scratch the furniture! He may even ruin a piece of furniture. If this is the end of the world, don''t get a kitten.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s wonderful that you want to adopt a pet rather than buying one from a pet store. There are so many loving and affectionate pets that have been abandoned. Both of our cats were from a shelter and I could not hope for better pets. My husband''s brother and sister are both quite young. One is 8 and the other 13. Our cats play with them but have never shown any aggression other than ''play nipping''.

Obviously your future cat''s character will be dependant on its personality and upbringing (if it''s not a kitten) but I think you will be able to tell after a few visits whether the cat is aggressive or skittish. There will probably be a few play scratches and nibbles, but that could happen with a dog too. Cats are low maintenance compared to dogs because they are almost naturally litter trained and like keeping themselves clean. They also generally require less attention (depends on the cat, though).

As for scratching furniture, I''ve found that the best way to prevent a cat from scratching anything is to put double-sided tape on it. Cats hate anything sticky on their paws and soon learn not to scratch it anymore :) There are a lot of ways to train cats out of destructive behaviour, but I still have to keep certain things hidden from mine (like my wedding dress, which they think is a huge sparkly jungle gym!)

We have one male and one female cat and they are very different. The female, Mika, is really sweet, sensitive and affectionate. She will come running to me if I sound upset or am crying. She hates if when DH and I argue and will climb into our laps to try to pacify us :) She''s one in a million. The male, Mako, is a mischeivous scamp, sort of the clown of the family. All the kids who have visited have preferred Mako because he''s so outgoing and likes making a fool of himself for their amusement. I don''t think I should stereotype cats by their gender but it seems to me that female cats seem to be more lap cats than males.

It''s wonderful for children to grow up with pets. It teaches them responsibility and can be a very nurturing experience. I hope this helped and all the best with finding the perfect pet for your home.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock

I think a cat is an easier pet to care for than a dog however, when I was a kid we had four and only two of them would really love up to you. Cats can be strange creatures, Alfie one of our cats would attack you if you tried to pet him too long

39.gif
(we raised him from a kitten). Also there is some work when it comes to cats cleaning the litter box 2x a day or your house might smell very pungent. Also wrangling up a cat to go to the vet is labor intensive.

I do feel that male cats are more lovable than females. Please do not de-claw a cat if you get one, if it goes outside it might have trouble defending itself or climbing a tree to avoid an predator. Also our cats even though they had a climbing post and a scratch post still tore up one of my mums favorite chairs.

Have you thought about getting a hamster or gerbil for your kids? I have a hamster that I raised from a baby and my four year old son loves taking him out to play and petting him. I hope you enjoy what ever you decide to adopt, and please have them spayed or neutered.

35.gif

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Or forgot to add that if you get a cat Iams has a very good food to help with fur balls
23.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
My parents bought me a burmese kitten when I was three years old. I was so excited that to this day I can remember driving home from the breeders with Tinkerbell in my lap. (Hey, I was three!) I had a very close bond with her, and she would sleep with me every night and play with me every day. By the time I was in highschool she was slowing down a little and I would put lamp on over my pillow for heat and turn the radio on to Mozart for her every morning when I left for school. She lived (and ruled our house with an iron will) until she was 21.

In my mind cats are better ''starter'' pets for children than dogs because they are independent and can scratch and bite without causing real harm. Children will learn pretty quickly that if they want the cat to love them they have to be nice to it. They also learn right smartly that if they tease or pull on the cat it''ll defend itself. Your children will learn alot about respecting others from having a cat.

While I''m normally a huge advocate of rescuing shelter animals, in this case I recommend researching a breed and then a breeder. With small children it''s best to be sure that your cat has the personality to handle children well. You can only be sure of that by getting a cat that''s been breed to have a good personality. Shelter kitties are a bit of a crap shoot personality wise.

Clipping the cats claws like you would your toenails will help keep the damage down without mutilating the cat. Shorter claws, either from clipping or regular use of a scratching post, will cause far less accidental scratches. (I do mean mutilating... you try jumping and balancing without using your toes and just walking on the ball of your foot.)

For your other questions: house cats raised indoors by their mothers come pre-litterbox trained. Buy a sisal scratching post or two and the cat will generally use that instead of the furniture. (I don''t think cats can understand why it''s ok to scratch rug/fabric when it''s on a post but it''s not ok on the floor or couch.)

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I think you should seriously consider not getting a KITTEN, but rather an older cat. Say 3 or 4 years old. At that age you can better gauge their personalities and they aren''t as likely to tear everything up. The shelters are full of older cats that are so often overlooked because everybody wants a kitten. You might also want to look for one that has been in foster care because they may be around children and the foster parent would be able to tell you about the cat''s habits.

Good luck to you! I think a cat would be just right for your family!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The PS cat lovers have already given you great advice and told you everything you need to know so I''ll just say this: you''ve got 4 kids ages 3 to 11 and you''re worried about adding a cat??! heheheeehee Honey, it''s going to be a piece of cake for you! (signs the lady with 3 cats and one kid)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2007 2:13:08 PM
Author: sumbride
I think you should seriously consider not getting a KITTEN, but rather an older cat. Say 3 or 4 years old. At that age you can better gauge their personalities and they aren''t as likely to tear everything up. The shelters are full of older cats that are so often overlooked because everybody wants a kitten. You might also want to look for one that has been in foster care because they may be around children and the foster parent would be able to tell you about the cat''s habits.

Ditto ditto ditto! I would encourage looking at older cats. Their personalities are more ''set'' and they aren''t as hyper and rambunctious. You can also see how they react to all the kids.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My parents breed siamese and there is always a housefull of cats and kittens.

I would probably choose a neutered male over a female as they are more soppy and affectionate.

I have never been scratched in anger by a cat - but then we breed mainly for temperament. All ours are also great with small kids as they are brought up with lots of small people around. I worry more for the cat than a child!

Do not declaw at all it''s very cruel. A well aimed water pistol is very effective for furniture scratchers (but don''t let the kids do it or it won''t work.) Some cats don''t scratch furniture, others will.

I wouldn''t recommend an oriental if you value your ornaments, wallpaper or curtains - they climb everything and they hate being left alone all day. They are very naughty if they don''t get enough attention.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amy--You''ve gotten a ton of great advice, so here''s the little more I can add:

Between my BF and I we have five cats, all of them were rescues from shelters. I would definitely go for a rescue, but that''s just my opinion. Those rescues need good, loving homes!

We adopted three of our cats last year and they were all about ten months old, so not teeny tiny kittens, but still kittens. We did not declaw any of them, for reasons other people have already explained, and we haven''t had any issues with them tearing up the furniture because we bought plenty of scrumptious cat towers and trees for them to tear apart, instead. When they first came home we put catnip all over the towers so they would know that was "their" furniture, and it worked!

Choosing a kitten is like choosing a diamond--you have to use your own eyes and your own judgment to know which little guy suits you best. For example, I knew my bigboy Manny had to come home with me because he flopped down on my lap, flipped over onto his back and fell fast asleep on me with his big belly all exposed as soon as I brought him out of his cage. We were just comfortable with each other, so I knew he was the one.

I''ve never had a problem litter box training any of my cats, they just seem to know to use them.

Regarding gender, here''s my experience: females are more aloof and independent, males are bigger cuddlers and they like more human interaction. I''ve had five male cats and three female cats throughout my lifetime, and they''ve all followed suit.

I also have two dogs, and you''re right--cats are definitely less maintenance. However, they still require loads of attention, and if you do any research into feeding them properly it can consume you! And if you get a sensitive little guy like our Geddy (see avatar) you may be in for a couple unexpected surgeries, but that''s another story.

I hope you guys end up getting a little furball! I couldn''t live without my tiny beasts! You definitely must post pictures if you do adopt someone!

Good luck!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2007 2:13:08 PM
Author: sumbride

Ditto again! My hubby and I rescued our two cats from the local humane society when they were about 6 months old. They were not littermates but we did get them at the same time. They both have wonderful personalities and we didn''t have to do the "kitten" stuff - although they were pretty young when they picked us out. Unfortunately, both of our kitties have been declawed, but not by our doing. They seem to be fine and we''ve had them both for more than a year now. Good luck!

Jess

blueyes157

Shiny_Rock
Cats are so wonderful and loving! I never liked cats and always had dogs growing up. I graduated college a little over a year ago and moved out on my own and was so lonely. I just didn''t have the lifestyle to take care of a dog. I adopted Isabelle from the SPCA (a tuxedo!). She is so loving and dog like. She rolls and meows when you come home, follows you around and is just a fuzzy ball of love.

They are also great for an active lifestyle. You can just leave them for the weekend as long as they have food and water and they are fine.

My boyfriend and I just got a kitten from the pet store, and same story! It is great to watch them grow up! She is 4 and a half months now. I think it may help with their personality having them from when they are young. You have the opportunity to handle them and get them used to being touched.

I love my kitty''s and am so thankful for them. I deffinitely recommend them. A god sight to get more cat info and message boards is on Yahoo! Answers.

Good luck, keep us all posted on your decision!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
OMG...GO GET A CAT!!! They are the best creatures EVER!!! Besides that, there are soooo many who need a good home, and with 4 kids, that''s at least 4 times the love and affection that a new kitty might not have ever had if you don''t go adopt one RIGHT NOW!!! Go to a shelter or your local SPCA and start looking this instant! And that''s an order!
38.gif
Hee hee hee!

Ok, seriously...I think they are perfect, especially for a busy lifestyle like yours. They don''t need to be taken for walks, can lounge around on your furniture when you''re not home during the day, and one that is friendly and lovable will give both your kids and you that "something furry" you''ve been missing. Just my 2 cents...

Hope you find a great one...post pix if you do end up with a new member of the family one day soon!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read all the responses so I may be repeating what others have said...

We have two cats, both one year old, one male and one female. They are great and I actually feel excited to come home at the end of the day. If we go away for a night, we leave enough food and water for them, make sure their litter box has just been cleaned, and the kitties are fine. Our cats aren''t declawed -- my FI is firmly against it. I could have gone either way but I''m glad I chose the more humane option. Yes, they (well one of them) occasionally scratch the upholstered furniture but it''s subsided a lot as they get older. If you use your hands to play with cats, they will think your hands are toys and they will occasionally scratch or nick you with their claws. I''d be careful of that regarding your kids, especially the little ones.

We had been set on getting a dog when we moved to our condo but in the end we decided to get a cat (and then one more). I''m soooo glad we did that. Our house isn''t big enough for a dog and I like knowing that we can go away for a night and the cats are okay on their own. Dogs don''t work that way.

Only you know how hectic your life truly is and whether you can devote the time and energy to owning a furry pet. Cats are easier in my opinion, but even they come with work to be done on a regular basis.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
You have received a wealth of informed responses to your question!!

I would highly advise you to review the link Amber provided, as there is great information on this link.

If you go with adoption, ensure the shelter fosters their cats so that you can get a good idea of the behavior of the cat you are considering. Often times, the foster will expose the cat/kitten to children, dogs and other cats, so that they can find out what the cat will tolerate. In your case, you would want to focus on the kids aspect. So, when speaking to the shelter, be sure to tell them everything you told us.

Should you decide to go with a breeder, ensure the breeder raise his/her kittens around children. Some have suggested you avoid a young kitten, which may be a good idea. Sometimes breeders have retired show cats or younger cats (around 1-2 yrs) that they need to adopt out, so that could be an option as well.

I adopted my cat as she was just turning 1 and have not had any regrets. In fact, I wanted an older kitten (I would have even adopted a mature cat) because I really did not want the hastle that a cute kitten can bring, which worked out well for me. Given that you have a busy house, I would suspect that an older kitten would fit in better with your lifestyle.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with just about everything people said above. I personally would get a kitten though. I''ve adopted both kittens and older cats and I find the bond is stronger with a kitten who grows with your children. I have an abysinnian and out of all of the other breeds of cats I''ve owned (including siamese) he is the most loving and affectionate. He lets me brush his teeth, trim his claws, etc. he''d probably let me dress him up if I wanted to (and was that sick in the head). He''s also really really intelligent. I''ve caught him opening doors before (paws on door knob) Here''s what he looks like. He''s purebred, so he was a bit pricy ($800 I think) but worth every penny. I''d get another one in a heartbeat.

200px-ABY.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW regarding scratching furniture, etc...

it is important that you provide something that is the cat''s own property to scratch from the VERY beginning. I didn''t have a post for Chloe when I got her 10 years ago and she shredded my mattress and box spring corners to threads. Later I tried to get her a post and she wanted nothing to do with it cuz in her mind, she already had her own place (my bed).

Well, it''s been 10 years, I bought a cat tree thinking she''d like to sit on it and had resigned myself to shredded beds while she was around, and lo and behold, she''s started scratching her cat tree. Exclusively. It''s been a freaking miracle. However, I did not make that mistake when I rescued Holly. I immediately showed her that she had a post, rubbed it with catnip, and from day one she has only exclusively used her post. Make sure you get a post with carpet and sisal, so that if the cat has a preference for one or the other you''re still covered.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I have had cats all my life (24 years). My parents had a cat when I was an infant and they did get rid of it, but only because I was so small. Since then however, my brother and I have always had cats around, probably from the ages of about 2 and 5 (we''re 3 years apart). I can''t ever remember being seriously harmed by any of my kittens or cats. Sometimes when you get them on their back and are playing and rubbing their bellies, they can get a little more frisky and bitr ot scratch, but nothing serious. The only time I''ve been bitten HARD by a cat was recently when I was putting some things away in a chest and didn''t notice my kitty had jumped up to check it out. I ended up lowering the lid onto his paw and he cried out and bit me out of sheer reflex. Even then though, I was more concerned about him than myself.

Pleeeeaaasssseeeee do NOT declaw your cat! This is a horrible thing to do to them. It would be like removing the bones from your fingers or toes. There is a lot of information out there about this and if you research it you''ll probably be against it. http://www.declawing.com/
I clip their nails from time to time and that keeps them a lot more dull and prevents possible painful scratches. You need to start this when they are young though, or else they might not let you do it when they''re older.

I would definitely say a cat is much less work than a dog (I have both) and if you have to go out of town, cats are generally very self-sufficient and would maybe just require a neighbor to stop by and freshen food and water and scoop the box. I have found that box training is something that seems to be bred into cats, it''s very instinctual. I simply put the box out, put the cat in it a few times and then they seem to find it on their own.

And if you decide to go with a rescue/shelter cat, many shelters let you come and check out the cats and go into a play room with them and let you get a feel for the cat. Do this a few times to see how consistent the personality is and that will help with your decision.

Good luck!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I have always had a cat, from about the age of 3 yrs old to my present age of 48 yrs. I like dogs, but I love cats. The right cat, treated well, will be a very loving companion to any age kids. My first kitty, Twinkles, let us dress her up in doll clothes right down to the bonnet, and would ride around in the doll buggy. She would stay on the bed with any of us who might be sick, doing her best to play nursemaid. We were her kids, and she felt responsible for us. Second time around, we had a very male, very man-of-the-house cat. He was a laid back cat; nothing perturbed him. But, he was a holy terror as a kitten; ruined a pair of drapes in my mother''s living room; and ripped to shreds some hanging Japanese lanterns in our basement family room. But, kittenhood passes pretty quickly and they all calm down eventually.

Currently, I have a beautiful tabby, Emma. She has only front claws removed -- and thank God -- I have wicker armchairs in the living room that would have been demolished by now.

Cats are like children - they respond to loving discipline and can be easily trained to do what you want them to do. Don''t believe all that nonsense about cats being in charge. You are should always be the alpha cat (or dog) in your house. Cats will talk back, a lot, but they will do what you want them to do if you are firm about it. And there is nothing quite like a purring kitty who looks at you with love-filled eyes. It''s heaven on earth. Dogs are sweet; cats are sublime.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Hudson: We NEED pics of that Aby. Seriously. Please!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Since we''re on the topic, I just had to share a picture of my giant kitty I got from the ASPCA over 11 years ago...his name is Maverick and he is the best pet I could ever imagine!

He is part Maine Coon and what looks to be orange tabby. He is about 13 years old, weighs 23 pounds and still acts like a big, fat kitten...or, um, like a puppy, I guess.

He runs to the door when people knock on it, follows me around wherever I go, and allows me or most anyone to carry him around like a baby with one paw on each shoulder. He assumes every person that enters the house it there for the sole purpose of petting him and scratching behind his ears.

He often sleeps flat on his back with all four paws straight up in the air, eyes half-closed, playing dead, which he did the first night I brought him home...nothing like scaring the holy bejeebers outta me, let me tell you! I''m sure he was wondering who the crazy lady who kept running over to him all night was!

He''s starting to slow down a bit, but still acts like a giant baby...I just LOVE my big ''ol furball! Thanks for letting me share!

Maverick_Fishing1.JPG

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG Hudson and Harleigh your babies are SO BEAUTIFUL
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I just want to snuggle them!!
36.gif
36.gif

I''m such a sucker for Abys - they are such gorgeous creatures, and I love what I''ve experienced of their personalities, although I think of it kind of like the cat equivalent of a border collie (dog) - you shouldn''t get one unless you don''t mind your pet being smarter than you are
2.gif
3.gif

That gorgeous mush of a boy looks like such a love Harleigh - I ADORE maine coon-type kitties, and he sounds like he has such a classic personality for one, just a big ol'' laid back mush of a guy! What a sweetie, bless his little heart, I think I could snuggle him for hourse!!
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
That''s so wonderful too that he was a rescue - good for you!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harleigh, your Maverick is gorgeous!!! What a big boy he is!
36.gif

AMY: you''ve received such great advice here so far! I hope you find the kitty of your dreams, it sounds like your family would be perfect for a new feline member. I just have to reiterate the no declawing thing...I''ve never done that to a cat and don''t really see the point. My last kitty, Tinkerbell, had no problem with me wrapping her up in a soft bath towel and trimming all her claws so they weren''t so sharp. I also used the little plastic-y nail covers on her and she tolerated them just fine. Much better than yanking those suckers out! My brother and his wife are kitty rescuers and have 11 cats currently, 10 of which have all claws. My SIL takes great care in clipping their claws, and using the claw covers, and it''s so funny because it''s turned out they all have different colors on their feet, they have little rainbow colored toes because some fall off and get replaced with whatever colors she has on hand at the time, LOL!

Good luck in finding a kitty, let us know!
35.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2007 1:05:10 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
OMG Hudson and Harleigh your babies are SO BEAUTIFUL
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I just want to snuggle them!!
36.gif
36.gif

I''m such a sucker for Abys - they are such gorgeous creatures, and I love what I''ve experienced of their personalities, although I think of it kind of like the cat equivalent of a border collie (dog) - you shouldn''t get one unless you don''t mind your pet being smarter than you are
2.gif
3.gif

That gorgeous mush of a boy looks like such a love Harleigh - I ADORE maine coon-type kitties, and he sounds like he has such a classic personality for one, just a big ol'' laid back mush of a guy! What a sweetie, bless his little heart, I think I could snuggle him for hourse!!
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
That''s so wonderful too that he was a rescue - good for you!
9.gif
Thank you AG, you are so sweet! He is a HUGE lovebug...I forgot to mention that this big guy likes to spoon and sleep on my head, too! I really don''t know how we''re going to manage when FI and I are actually in the same house! Poor Maverick isn''t used to sharing!
9.gif

He''s even the type of cat that senses when you''re upset and will come and lay right on your chest and lick tears off your face for as long as you''ll let him, but only when someone is upset. However, he also loves to rub his head on my brother''s stubbly shaved head, too, so I''m not too sure about that!

Did I mention that my cat drools, too? He drools every time I walk in the door, and if I stop to scratch him or rub his belly, he''ll drool and purr the entire time until I stop! Gross, I know, but definitely feelin'' the love there! I just LOVE him!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
We''ve always had cats at my house, since I was a baby. Kittens adjust to kids, and kids learn how to be gentle with kittens--I think it''s easier on the kids if you get kittens because they''ll have more time to spend with the animal, and kittens bond better to your family if you''re the only family they''ve known.

The two cats my parents had while I was growing up only recently died, both of them living to the age of 17, so those cats were like part of our family. My brothers and I loved having them in our lives.
1.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I haven't had much posting time these last few days, but I LOVE this thread and wanted to chime in! You have gotten great advice, and just let me add my opinion that cats are AWESOME! I love all animals, but am definitely a CAT PERSON. We had cats and dogs (and gerbils and mice and hamsters and bunnies and even a snake once!) while our kids were growing up, then when the last pet died, DH and I decided to try "pet-free" for awhile. Well, we have now had a cat again (see avatar!) and we have decided that we will NEVER be without a kitty again!
30.gif

Keep us posted what you decide!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results