Should I change my Asscher setting?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this recently and liked the crossed look with a step cut

634C4198-44FD-41D2-9742-EB75E35AF6C0.jpeg

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I cant answer all your questions cause im not really sure what choice would be best, but your ring and stack is really pretty. I think maybe its the comparing to other cuts that could be getting in your way. but its a gorgeous e-ring and the bands look great with it!

Rockcollector

Shiny_Rock
D27431A1-492C-4D79-9D62-9D5034EBDC0A.jpeg BC02CBFA-60EF-4896-966F-C2CF3408C136.jpeg Mine (really needs a cleaning) is set in a coast diamond setting.

moonflower0906

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your responses! And thank you for the reassurance on my current ring combo. I swear, when other people "out in the real world" see my ring, they just think "huh its not a round." so I haven't gotten much of this kind of feedback. Maybe I needed to hear it. :)

We have a few days to decide (jeweler is working on my fiance's wedding band right now) so I'm going to try to clean it every 1-2 days, like you guys suggested and see how I feel. (I don't wear it at home so there's no issue of it being on for cooking, cleaning, shower etc.)

I don't want to change the ring to a round. When I isolate the two, I know the Asscher wins out (Except for the fact it faces soooo small agh). I love the Asscher so I thought the side stones might work for a compromise but I think for now, I'll take everyone's advice and skip the pave band...:)

I was trying things out like this:

F1A555C0-7CF2-44B6-B8A6-033C7012206D.jpeg

I love both your before and after ring! But the after is such a different and much more bold look, maybe it is best I revisit making such a big change in the future (when the store does their annual 50% off sale!), like you did.

Thanks all! Maybe I needed to go through all this contemplation and getting on PriceScope to find out cleaning your ring daily is a thing (!) to fall back in love with my ring! I'll see!=)2

moonflower0906

Rough_Rock
Asscher lover here,

1) asschers get filthy fast! Get a magnasonic ultrasonic at Amazon and use 3/4 hot distilled water and 1/4 mr clean citrus and clean that baby every day.

2) I reset mine from a solitaire because the setting wasn’t showcasing the depth of the ring and so it just looked meh. Let me try and find before/after photos.

12AAEDBC-0A6F-4DB2-A6E0-2590788D901A.jpeg FBB5812C-E77B-44B3-84CC-8257366DE794.jpeg
1A072F3D-7219-448F-9C66-171FCBD8A0C9.jpeg

This is the reset. Caysie van Bebber did it.

Mine is 1.52 G vs1 from blue Nile

CAD:

5139703D-CA4E-4DF5-AF9C-4F977DBEBFDD.jpeg
651F8CFE-82A2-4C23-8FDD-683E618B986A.jpeg
EE9F5EAF-C96D-4A53-B301-9D9E13C29A46.jpeg

Your original ring gave me a good idea of what mine would look like if I set it in white gold! They're seriously both beautiful but totally different looks! It went from a quiet elegance to bold and glamorous! :clap:

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your responses! And thank you for the reassurance on my current ring combo. I swear, when other people "out in the real world" see my ring, they just think "huh its not a round." so I haven't gotten much of this kind of feedback. Maybe I needed to hear it. :)

We have a few days to decide (jeweler is working on my fiance's wedding band right now) so I'm going to try to clean it every 1-2 days, like you guys suggested and see how I feel. (I don't wear it at home so there's no issue of it being on for cooking, cleaning, shower etc.)

I don't want to change the ring to a round. When I isolate the two, I know the Asscher wins out (Except for the fact it faces soooo small agh). I love the Asscher so I thought the side stones might work for a compromise but I think for now, I'll take everyone's advice and skip the pave band...:)

I love both your before and after ring! But the after is such a different and much more bold look, maybe it is best I revisit making such a big change in the future (when the store does their annual 50% off sale!), like you did.

Thanks all! Maybe I needed to go through all this contemplation and getting on PriceScope to find out cleaning your ring daily is a thing (!) to fall back in love with my ring! I'll see!=)2
Good choice moonflower. I am so glad you like your Asscher cut. They are so very elegant. I hope all goes well on your wedding day

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a show me your asscher and emerald cuts thread somewhere on show me the bling board.

I went through that when I was trying to decide if I should reset or not.

But, yes, clean your baby! She is likely filthy (no offense). Get a cheap 10x Loupe on eBay and you will see it all.....

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Personally, I gave up on step cuts. They are so classy with an understated, minimalistic elegance but that’s it, I am NOT understated. It drove me bonkers that even a beautifully cut fiery emerald will lose it after about two hours of wear and mine was in a halo and on a pave band. A step cut either is or is NOT you. They are definitely not me. You do not have to have a round to have brilliance, I personally love many fancy shapes or old cut rounds in larger sizes. This is all personal, perhaps at the end of the day you just aren’t an Asscher girl.

arhzay

Rough_Rock
I think your Asscher looks perfect as a solitaire but maybe a different cut would be better for more bling.

moonflower0906

Rough_Rock
Personally, I gave up on step cuts. They are so classy with an understated, minimalistic elegance but that’s it, I am NOT understated. It drove me bonkers that even a beautifully cut fiery emerald will lose it after about two hours of wear and mine was in a halo and on a pave band. A step cut either is or is NOT you. They are definitely not me. You do not have to have a round to have brilliance, I personally love many fancy shapes or old cut rounds in larger sizes. This is all personal, perhaps at the end of the day you just aren’t an Asscher girl.

Haha, its interesting. When it comes to my other fashion choices, I am not a minimalist at all! But I never wanted an embellished or clunky engagement ring and everything looks clunky on me (my ring finger is size 3.25)! I think its diamonds in particular that I want to keep it simple because I also have plain diamond studs (round!). In my case, diamond style does not reflect personal style! haha.

I think your Asscher looks perfect as a solitaire but maybe a different cut would be better for more bling.

I thought about getting a cushion cut but the jeweler said I can't trade my stone in unless I go up a half carat, which is obviously a huge jump in cost. This might be better left for after the wedding but like others said, who knows if I'll want to swap out my diamond years down the line. Gah.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here’s my emerald cut that I reset as a pendant that has a bezel around it (just noticed it is like a double bezel with mil grain:
upload_2019-9-2_10-40-44.jpeg
It was super teeny before, tucked deep in a vintage style ring mounting. This emerald is .86 ct., GIA VS2, H color
This is stunning!!!

arhzay

Rough_Rock
Haha, its interesting. When it comes to my other fashion choices, I am not a minimalist at all! But I never wanted an embellished or clunky engagement ring and everything looks clunky on me (my ring finger is size 3.25)! I think its diamonds in particular that I want to keep it simple because I also have plain diamond studs (round!). In my case, diamond style does not reflect personal style! haha.

I thought about getting a cushion cut but the jeweler said I can't trade my stone in unless I go up a half carat, which is obviously a huge jump in cost. This might be better left for after the wedding but like others said, who knows if I'll want to swap out my diamond years down the line. Gah.

You could try a different jeweler, maybe HPD, GOG or WF could help?

moonflower0906

Rough_Rock
You could try a different jeweler, maybe HPD, GOG or WF could help?

Can I work with another jeweler to exchange my diamond? I assumed I wouldn't get our money back anywhere else?

Reactions: AV_

arhzay

Rough_Rock
Can I work with another jeweler to exchange my diamond? I assumed I wouldn't get our money back anywhere else?

There’s no harm in asking. I didn’t think that HPD would accept my diamond but I recently upgraded through them even though I had purchased the original ring elsewhere

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I love your set that you have.
How have you been with your e ring since you posted...has cleaning it more often helped with you opinion of the e ring? Yes it has to be done every day. Or as fanatical as you want.

I have an asscher, but I am super lazy, and don’t clean it everyday.

I do like the split shanks, that you have shown, and also white wave.

Also note- Upgrading and changing settings can happen, too! It’s a dangerous PS slope! Lol.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your set, so beautiful, classy, chic, and perfectly coordinated for maximum oo-la-la effect! I personally think you have nailed it from the get-go, and any change would hinder not enhance the effect.

As everyone else has said, you have to acclimate to cleaning your ring every day. And I second having cleaning wipes on hand so you can get an easy fix when your asscher is giving you doubts.

I had a somewhat similar dilemma back in the day. I always knew I wanted a princess cut but knew nothing about what made diamonds perform. I loved the shape, and I just assumed all diamonds gave you maximum brilliance and fire if you just found the right one. So I got my princess... in a solitaire... and it never knocked my socks off the way I'd hoped. I went about searching for a reset as a solution and wound up with a heck of a setting: graduated RBs up the shank, and an RB halo. Extremely well cut pave, to boot, so the setting was one helluva light show. And engraving, which also caught the light. It was a gorgeous setting... that made it all the more apparent my princess was lacking. Needless to say, my journey ended in me trading in for an OEC (antique round cut) and that did the trick for me. I could have looked for an ideal cut princess as those do in fact exist, but once I started understanding optics I don't think that would have quite done it either.

You're not starting out with a mediocre diamond though. I say embrace your asscher for what it's always meant for you, understand and embrace it's unique personality & needs, and know you've already nailed it with your set!

moonflower0906

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I went back to the store today and I tried a double pave but ultimately, I couldn't fall in love with anything so I kept it as the rose gold solitaire. Maybe we'll make changes later as my style evolves or we can afford to upgrade and I'll upgrade to a brilliant cut if I still want it then. And later, I'll have less decisions to make (wedding planning keeps me busy enough with that!) but I decided if I couldn't decide now, maybe it's best I just stick with the band I had picked out for years. I've start cleaning it every 1-2 days. It looks amazing cleaned everyday but I wonder if I can really keep that up for life!

None of the suggestions you’ve offered will affect the center stone. Exactly as stated, step cuts do not give the sparkle of a brilliant cut... but they give their own unique and elegant appearance. I have sometimes regretted not getting a step cut! And Asschers are so special! From the photo it looks like a very eye pleasing one, well balanced. I would love to see more images.

Please post more photos... I love it.

Your wish granted. More photos:

One from the top and one from the side because as simple as it is, I love that small detail of the cathedral setting.
IMG_4528.jpg IMG_6581.jpg

I was thinking something similar to this... perhaps get a brilliant cut stone for a pendant or diamond stud earrings if you don’t have, etc. because, as stated, there will be many gift-giving (receiving!) opportunities as the years unfold.

My mom had some round diamonds re set into earrings for me for a wedding gift too so maybe that'll be my round diamonds and this will be my Asscher!

Thanks everyone for your help.You guys helped me fall back in love with my ring. I'll keep cleaning and see how it goes!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
great decision processing... means more time focussed for the wedding. congrats!!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
BRAVO... absolutely gorgeous rings. All the proportions work together so well. I’m drooling over this set!!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. I went back to the store today and I tried a double pave but ultimately, I couldn't fall in love with anything so I kept it as the rose gold solitaire. Maybe we'll make changes later as my style evolves or we can afford to upgrade and I'll upgrade to a brilliant cut if I still want it then. And later, I'll have less decisions to make (wedding planning keeps me busy enough with that!) but I decided if I couldn't decide now, maybe it's best I just stick with the band I had picked out for years. I've start cleaning it every 1-2 days. It looks amazing cleaned everyday but I wonder if I can really keep that up for life!

One from the top and one from the side because as simple as it is, I love that small detail of the cathedral setting.

My mom had some round diamonds re set into earrings for me for a wedding gift too so maybe that'll be my round diamonds and this will be my Asscher!

Thanks everyone for your help.You guys helped me fall back in love with my ring. I'll keep cleaning and see how it goes!

I have my asscher and also a CBI .64 I Si1 solitaire, which I plan to eventually upgrade. I love the mesmerizing hall of mirrors in my asscher and I also love the edge to edge brilliance of the CBI, so I want two engagement rings lol.

It’s always an option.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you changed your setting to a lower setting with double claw prongs it would be a standout.. but that's me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results