shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tracy

Rough_Rock
I would very Much Appreciate some Help. I just put $500 down on a $5150 1.0 ct princess cut diamond. Am I getting a fair deal. The stone looks very nice. Here are the GIA stats: Shape&Cutting stye: Square Modified Brillant
5.62 x 5.46 x 3.62
depth: 70% table 78% Girdle : extremely thin to very
thick
polish: very good sym: good
clarity: vs1 color: E flourescence: med blue
THANKS!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Tracy... This diamond has quite a few problems... #1 girdle... It's too wavy... Ext thin is pretty dangerouns and can be chipped and very thick makes you pay for something you can't see... #2 78% table is waaaaay too large... I'd look for a 62 +/- 5% table... #3 Medium blue... Well, it shouldn't be a problem, but have you seen it in person and do you like the effect? #4 Always try to get a Sarin report, which will tell you all the data that isn't written on the GIA report...
I suggest you to look for a 10% +++ crown heigh, too...
1.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum Tracy,

Glad you asked. There are at least two very serious things wrong with your 1ct E VS1 princess.
#1 - it is overpriced by about $800.
#2 - an extremely thin girdle is a big NO NO! It wouldn't take much of a hit to seriously chip the girdle where it is that thin.
Unfortunately about half of the princess cut diamonds have either extremely thin or extremely thick girdles. If you the consumer stops buying these diamonds, maybe the cutters will get the hint and stop putting them on diamonds.
Tracy, don't get in a rush. You can find a much better cut princess with the same color and clarity and a better price. Do not let the guy with your $500 put the squeeze on you. Give him a chance to find you the right diamond at the right or get your money back and walk.

tracy

Rough_Rock
Thanks Dimonbob,

I looks like you and giangi both agree on my situation.
I'm dealing with a wholesale person in Atlanta recommended by a buddy of mine. He quoted me 25% off rapaport. I realize this does not take into account the cut. How do I determine when I'm getting a fair deal? How much would i pay at a jewelry store? is 25% under rapaport a fair deal?
I don't have to have the best deal in the world I just don't want to get ripped off. thanks, Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results