color
clarity

Should I buy Type 2a or 2b diamond

What diamond should I buy?

• Total voters

Ryan239

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am in the market for a special diamond. Originally, I was searching for a 4-5 carat Emerald, D color, FL clarity, with excellent polish and symmetry, and no fluorescence, that was a type 2a diamond. However, I came across a diamond that meets all these specifications but is a type 2b. After doing some research, it appears that type 2b diamonds are very rare (according to quick google search type IIb diamonds make up about 0.1% of all natural diamonds). I am curious if there is any reason I should buyer a type 2a vs type 2b diamond.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, Ryan239!
Earth grown IIb - very cool stuff!
Any pictures and videos of this IIb diamond, maybe even with UV light exposure and immediately afterwards in a dark room to see the phosphorescence?
Cut precision, optical performance, and facet action will also need to be assessed to ensure that it's a well cut and performing EC, unless it's going to be a IIb diamond as a collection piece.

Ryan239

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the reply. Attached is the GIA report of the diamond I am looking at. Below is a link do the diamond. The diamond I am looking at is the smaller one in the video. The larger diamond in the video is a D FL type 2a for comparison.

Click here for video of diamond

This diamond will be for a ring. Please let me know your thoughts and thanks again for your input.

Attachments

• No Numbers.pdf
    476.8 KB · Views: 27

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately those videos aren't very helpful. Do you have any others? The original listings, maybe?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
The stone on the left looks shallower than I'd pursue

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Based on this video, I think it has decent potential - may not be extreme optics like a JP EC 2.0 or similar, but if you want the elite factor and unique conversion piece of owning a bonafide IIb, then you hold in your hand probably a once in many lifetimes opportunity.

Screenshot_20240323-094548-149.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My eye prefers the one on the left, but again the videos weren't great so I honestly am not sure

Ryan239

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks again for everyone’s input. Below is a link that better shows the diamond.

360 video of diamond

Ryan239

Rough_Rock
Trade
Based on this video, I think it has decent potential - may not be extreme optics like a JP EC 2.0 or similar, but if you want the elite factor and unique conversion piece of owning a bonafide IIb, then you hold in your hand probably a once in many lifetimes opportunity.

I do love the uniqueness of the diamond. Am I sacrificing anything because of that? Is it worth’s the sacrifice? Above post has 360 video of diamond.

May you please explain what “JP EC 2.0” is?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do love the uniqueness of the diamond. Am I sacrificing anything because of that? Is it worth’s the sacrifice? Above post has 360 video of diamond.

May you please explain what “JP EC 2.0” is?

Jann Paul emerald cut 2.0 is an ideal cut emerald. Best of the best. Yes, I personally think you are likely sacrificing visible things (cut quality, which is #1 importance IMHO), for invisible things (rarity). That's not personally how I would choose a diamond, but everyone is different.

Ryan239

Rough_Rock
Trade
Jann Paul emerald cut 2.0 is an ideal cut emerald. Best of the best. Yes, I personally think you are likely sacrificing visible things (cut quality, which is #1 importance IMHO), for invisible things (rarity). That's not personally how I would choose a diamond, but everyone is different.

Thanks for the clarification. How can I determine the cut quality? Can you tell by looking at 360 image the quantity of the cut?

Thanks again for your input.

Ryan239

Rough_Rock
Trade

I am trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on this stone. May you please chime in on your opinion of the cut? Here is the video: Click here for 360 Diamond Video

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I am trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on this stone. May you please chime in on your opinion of the cut? Here is the video: Click here for 360 Diamond Video

It's a bit contrasty for my personal tastes, but if you're going for the earth grown IIb factor, then it may be a justified choice.
What did you think of it when you saw it?

Ryan239

Rough_Rock
Trade
It's a bit contrasty for my personal tastes, but if you're going for the earth grown IIb factor, then it may be a justified choice.
What did you think of it when you saw it?

Thanks for your opinion. I am no diamond expert but want something special. I have not seen this diamond in person. Just videos. Below is another link to a video of the diamond. Do you have an issue with the cut of this diamond? Should I wait and buy a better cut type 2a which is more available or do I buy this stone because it is unique and is a type 2b?

Link to new video of Diamond

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your opinion. I am no diamond expert but want something special. I have not seen this diamond in person. Just videos. Below is another link to a video of the diamond. Do you have an issue with the cut of this diamond? Should I wait and buy a better cut type 2a which is more available or do I buy this stone because it is unique and is a type 2b?

Link to new video of Diamond

I'm not super well versed with step cuts, but it does appear to have too much windowing/leakage for my tastes in that video.
If you want a pinnacle performer, then I'd highly suggest reaching out to JannPaul about a custom cut Emerald 2.0 - it will come with a price tag because they vet everything from raw rough to finished diamond...start to finish.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not super well versed with step cuts, but it does appear to have too much windowing/leakage for my tastes in that video.
If you want a pinnacle performer, then I'd highly suggest reaching out to JannPaul about a custom cut Emerald 2.0 - it will come with a price tag because they vet everything from raw rough to finished diamond...start to finish.

Agreed

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results