shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I found this ring on ebay and bid at the last few minutes and prayed that I wouldn''t win!
Well, I didn''t win, but now the seller sent me a second chance offer for my maximum price. I am familiar with the seller as she has sold other things on the other jewelery forum.

What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:US:11&Item=8906806157
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sure is pretty...

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
If you prayed you wouldn''t win, why would you buy it now?

It looks like actually a good quality ring for E-bay, but I guess I don''t understand why you want a ring with a J SI2 stone when you already have a nicer diamond (at least, judging from the beautiful pic in your avatar).

I do think the setting is nice, and probably worth a large portion of the sales price. But I would only buy it if it was a LOT less than the ending price, and if I was going to use the setting for something else like a sapphire RHR and the diamond for something else like a pendant. I just really doubt you''ll wear this ring much if you already have a nicer one.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
It looks like the auction just ended a couple hours ago. Did the seller say that the winning bidder was unable/unwilling to pay?
I don''t like to bid on private listings because you can''t see who''s doing the bidding.

It is a beautiful ring though, and I can totally see why you bid on it. But I''m with ChooChoo, I would not accept the second chance offer if only because you said you prayed you wouldn''t win. I would trust your instincts.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Impulse bid? I love the ring, it''s my size, it''s a gorgeous stone, beautiful setting and cost a lot more than what I won it for.
Even though I do have a larger diamond, a girl can have more than one diamond, right? Variety is the spice of life.
2.gif
And it would make a beautiful right hand ring.

Do I need it, no, do I want it, yes, can I afford it, yes, but do I need it, no.
Help!
2.gif

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that variety is the spice of life, but it looks a lot more like an engagement ring than a RHR ring to me. I would just worry that you would never end up wearing it and that it would sit in your jewelry box. If you think you would wear it, that''s another story.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 12:08:37 PM
Author: ChooChoo
If you prayed you wouldn''t win, why would you buy it now?
I actually meant prayed I wouldn''t win because my husband would not be as excited as I would be (LOL), but not because I don''t want it.
2.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 12:15:26 PM
Author: Boom
It looks like the auction just ended a couple hours ago. Did the seller say that the winning bidder was unable/unwilling to pay?
I don''t like to bid on private listings because you can''t see who''s doing the bidding.
I know, that is why I don''t like private listings either.

I can say that this ring was actually for sale on the BTD website and the seller has a long history there and well as great feedback on ebay.

She was asking a lot more for this ring- $6000 originally before putting it up on ebay.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 12:40:56 PM
Author: butterfly 17

Date: 3/1/2006 12:15:26 PM
Author: Boom
I know, that is why I don''t like private listings either.

I can say that this ring was actually for sale on the BTD website and the seller has a long history there and well as great feedback on ebay.

She was asking a lot more for this ring- $6000 originally before putting it up on ebay.
I see...

Since you seem to really really like the ring
2.gif
and know the seller, can you negotiate with her on the price?

Also, does she have a return policy? (I didn''t read through the entire auction, just looked at the pics!)

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re asking, you already know the answer.

NO!

Blod
35.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s pretty. I also think you don''t need anyone''s permission. If you want it, go for it!
Good Luck!
emthup.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
You can afford it. It''s beautiful. Do they have a good return policy? If so, go for it, and post pics for us PS sharks.

shay

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Butterfly, it sure is pretty! If you are familiar with the seller and can afford it (which you said yes to already), then I say go for it!! Hehe, I think it''s gorgeous
30.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
seems like a great price for the whole ring...but i''d just be interested in the stone, for a pendant!!!

the stone looks fabulous as you already know....

if i impulse bid $4500 on a ring on ebay and won (or had a second chance and took it), Greg would kill me...hope your husband is more understanding!!
2.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2006 1:21:39 AM
Author: Mara

if i impulse bid $4500 on a ring on ebay and won (or had a second chance and took it), Greg would kill me...hope your husband is more understanding!!
2.gif

Well, I decided not to buy it! She sold it to someone else on the BTD website anyway, before I had a chance to make up my mind!

As far as impulse buying, yeah, I need to stop, but I have never bought anything that expensive on ebay and probably never will.

I have a secretly diamond fund by the way. I take $170 from each paycheck ( I get paid once a week) and have it direct deposited into a Money Market account that is only in my name and that my husband doesn''t know about!
2.gif

I decided on the $170 amount because I like the number 17 (hehe), so I figured that was a good amount since $17 or $117 seemed too little.

I started it last year, but have not really bought anything big with the money, except for some Roberto Coin pendants.
I was thinking of buying some earrings, but I am satisfied with my fakey pair, so I don''t want those anymore.
2.gif

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
That is so funny! What does your husband say when you show up with new jewlery? Hopefully he dosnt think you have someone on the side,lol

Jensia

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
wow- $170, you should have a pretty diamond $$ stash by now!
2.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I don''t know what to do about it, actually.

The other day my husband said to me, "how come we take home this much after taxes and we only save this much." Then, he mentioned something about analyzing our bills to see where all the money goes and I am sure he will figure out that $680 of it dissappears every month- to nowhere!!
I have Citibank send the statements to my mom''s house and my sister stores them for me.
2.gif

I have used some of the money for ebay stuff that I have purchased and clothes, but nothing major as there is really nothing that I want to get at this time.
Again, I did have my heart set on a pair of ACA''s, but I am so satisfied with the fakey pair, there is no reason for me to buy them, unless I get a larger pair, but I would not get any use out of them anyway.

I was thinking of upgrading my current ring, but I am happy with it and can''t justify getting a bigger diamond if I have to go down in color/clarity to be able to afford it. Not to mention, I would probably have to get a whole new setting.

In any event, at least I have it saved for a rainy day!
2.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2006 1:10:28 PM
Author: Jensia
That is so funny! What does your husband say when you show up with new jewlery? Hopefully he dosnt think you have someone on the side,lol

Jensia

That''s just it, I have not bought anything except for some Roberto Coin pendants, so those are so small, he doesn''t realize that they are new pieces, he thinks that "I''ve had them".
I do the same thing with clothes and shoes, actually.
2.gif
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kayla...just curious, is the money really for a diamond fund or just a fun fund or is more for 'just in case' for the future like in case something bad happened between you two?

I'm sure you guys all remember that 'secret stash' convo that was had on here a year or so ago....I don't really get that concept of hiding money from the husband...Greg would be so mad at me if I was doing that because he would see it as taking from 'future goals' that we have set together...and as he says, if I take the money and spend it on something for me or whatever, that would mean somewhere, somehow that he was paying more for something because I was not. If that makes sense.

When I bought my Bosphore LV bag recently I felt a little guilty and thought oh I could hide it from Greg and then thought WHY would I do that? So I told him about it and took the heat which wasn't much...but I just didn't want to get in the habit of hiding things from him. Sure I spend $100 or so here and there on clothes but for the larger ticket items I feel like at least disclosure is required as he does the same when he buys stuff for his cars or whatever.

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
I could never hide money, I''d sped it fist,lol

Which I do very well. My husband probably hides it on me, :)

Jensia

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I am not really sure what it''s for actually. I just decided to open it one day after our secret stash thread got me thinking about it, and have been depositing money there ever since. I guess it''s for a fun fund as I really have not bought a lot of stuff with it.

I don''t think my husband would get mad if he found out about it, I think he would be happy to know that there is this extra money laying around that he didn''t know we had. Actually, I think he would be proud to know that I don''t just spend all my money away, and I actually have something saved up and have not touched!

He is also not the type to think that if I went and purchased something big for myself, it would take away from him or meant that he would be paying more towards something than I am.

And, if something happens where we need extra money, at least it''s there, that is until I spend it!
2.gif
2.gif

Terri-Jo

Rough_Rock
It never fails that every time I start a diamond fund something always comes along that I have to use the money for. When this happens I am always glad I had put the money back. I think it is great that you are able to put that much back every week. Maybe if he is good you could take him on a nice vacation. lol

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Actually, the truth is if I had gone ahead and purchased that ebay ring and he found out, boy would he be pissed, but he''d eventually get over it. Which is one of the reasons why I have not spent too much of the money.

And I am really understanding when he comes home with something he had to have and I never question him on it either.
The other day he came home with a new TV for the family room and dvd/vcr player. Just like that, and I didn''t say one word about it. Then, a week later, he buys a projection thingamajiggy.
If we have the money and that''s what he wants, then he gets whatever he wants.
2.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
It is very common for Chinese women to have a ''secret stash'' saved away. I believe it is encouraged and known by everyone that us, married Chinese ladies, have a secret stash account saved with money. I don''t know why it is so, but that''s how it is. It is called "see gae" money.

Sam and I have our seperate retirement accounts, and savings accounts together, but I also have my own seperate savings account. He knows about it and always tries to inquire about the balance, although he knows I will never tell him. Sadly, I''ve pulled out the money many times to use it for family emergencies, or sometimes simply just to spend it! Now, it is very low and I am starting over again.

Butterfly, I''m such an impulse shopper too! So I know exactly how you felt about that ring. Although I think it was a good idea you didn''t get it, since that is a HUGE impulse buy! You''ll find something better later down the road which you''ll enjoy more.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I''ve stashed money away for jewelry, too. However, my husband does know about it, and if we need the money for an emergency, it has to come out of the fund.

For most of our marriage I have had my own money. However, whenever I have bought anything expensive for myself without telling my husband, I have always felt bad about it. He rarely denies me ANYTHING that I want (discourages, perhaps, but rarely denies), and he''s hurt if I go behind his back. Money has gotten tighter since having kids, and I think he sees it as somewhat of a betrayal for me to buy something expensive for myself without first discussing it, and in fairness I''m more inclined to purchase things for myself than he is for himself. For me, buying anything expensive in secret takes away from the joy and pleasure of having whatever it is. Yeah, he''d get over it, but guilt is such a killjoy.

It''s probably better that you didn''t get this ring. Not that it''s any of MY business, but since you asked.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results