shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I Buy This -- Need Input

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poleary2000

Rough_Rock
Here is the diamond I am about to buy. What do you think? Good value for the price?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_02ct_g_vs1_superbcert.htm

golfer

Shiny_Rock
1. Like all of the H&A branded lines sold on the internet, Superb Cert, ACA, etc., it's worth it if they're worth it. If it's a gimmick, they're overpriced.

2. Why on earth was the girdle inscription done after the GIA report (notice the GIA report does not mention it)? That defeats half of the purpose of the inscription (to make sure the diamond you are buying is the one in the report).

poleary2000

Rough_Rock
Aren't all laser inscriptions done after the AGS or GIA reports are completed anyways??

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Usually when I've seen it is done at the same time -- at least in such a way that the inscription is on the cert, so you have proof (or at least more proof) that the cert refers to the specific diamond.

poleary2000

Rough_Rock
Okay...so then with diamond I do NOT have absolute proof that it is the one that is on the GIA papers. Does anyone out there have additional info regarding GoodOldGold and what their reputation is?

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I think GOG's reputation is excellent, and I think 95% of diamond sales you don't have this additional proof. I just think it would be nice for a down-the-road sale, if you were making one. But it doesn't matter a whole lot -- the e-ring I bought is not inscribed. I was just commenting on why they would even bother to inscribe it after the cert was done (although it could still be useful for identification).

hope

Rough_Rock
Just a few thoughts from a novice shopper --

That diamond is inscribed, "superb cert," which is trademarked. It might be possible that the stone was acquired by them some time after the GIA papers were done because it met their standards for cut, and then inscribed.

An appraiser should be able to match the stone to the GIA papers, because the certificate does have a map of the inclusions and measurements. I believe you should be able to verify that it's the same stone you get. That's part of the appraisal process I had done on my stone and I think it's pretty standard. Any purchase should be contingent upon that.

Also, why not field these questions to Jonathan at GOG? Seems he is in the best position to end the speculation, which might help with your decision. I have done business with him, and think everyone there is very reputable. I know he would be happy to speak to you.

Good luck!

Hope

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This exact subject has been talked about on Diamondtalk, can't remember what is was under maybe a search on Barry or if you ask one of the regulars they are always happy to help you look for it. I believe also from reading Diamondtalk that Goodoldgold do not receive diamonds from superbcert anymore so this may be older stock from their inventory. Jonathan (Rhino) at goodoldgold wrote a lengthy post about their no longer getting stock from Superbcert.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=b8484f9cce456ddde5349efe84bd35d5&threadid=20161&highlight=laser+inscription+Superbcert

Above is one of the links there are more. Please read them all as I do not want to change anyones view by just this link as it may be biased. I have not really read all the links on this subject as it was not of interest to me but I just remember reading it as there has been a lot of dialogue on other threads as well about your subject.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I may ... :)

The stone is kosher. :) Don't sweat the inscription thing, it does not increase or decrease it's value. We do however include a picture of that inscription as well as it's pictures taken under the microscope in a 10 page appraisal report along with all of the other data featured on that stone (H&A internal symmetry images, LightScope image, B'scope results, detailed Sarin data, ie. the works) for you to submit to your insurance company unless you'd like to use a 3rd parties appraisal for that purpose. The diamond can be verified with any appraiser with a gemological microscope.

Pyramid is correct (thanks pyramid). It is a stone we had purchased from SuperbCert which was (until recently) price around $7800. We were overcharged for the stone (my own stupidity for purchasing it) so we are willing to sell it for a literal fraction over cost to move it.

Personal thoughts on that stone in particular: Very very few VS1's look like that does under the microscope. It is top of it's class in that regard. Compare that with any other VS1 (which I have microscope pictures of many) a simple comparison reveals that. G color is *white* and the cutting factory that it comes from overseas cuts the finest of the finest H&A's this gemologist has ever inspected. While not all stones pass our QA, that one surely made it. :sun:

If you have any other questions or if there is any other way I can accomodate you please don't hesitate to ask.

Peace,
Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results