shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this for 7K or look for an SI1 with similar cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ready

Rough_Rock
Weight 1.31 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color G
Clarity VS1
Measurements 7.11 - 7.09 x 4.36 mm
Depth 61.4
Table 55.0
Crown 15.5
Pavilion 43.2
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Comments IDEAL CUT

luckyguy

Rough_Rock
The stone does very well on the HCA and ranks a 0.8 using percentages for crown and pavilion hieght/depth rather than angles.

I just checked pricescope for a 1.30 G VS1 graded by GIA and AGS with similar table and total depth percentages (which doesn't even take into account crown and pavilion angles) and the price for a 1.30 carat stone in this range varried from $8710-$9581, so I would say that your doing well with a price of $7,000.

Who is certifying this stone; are they a respected lab (GIA/AGS)?

Should you buy it or drop to a similar SI1? That depends on what this vendor would sell you a similar diamond in all aspects except that it were an SI1 (You would have to make sure it was an eyeclean SI1). Do you want to pay the difference is the only question? Why don't you talk to the vendor.

If it were me, I would drop to SI1, make sure the stone is eyeclean, and go up in color grade to say an "E," but others would say, no, stay with what you've got. Even the advice in one of the tutorials for pricescope I believe says to not purchase an E colored SI2 stone, which is exactly what I did, so take this part of my advice for what it is...an opinnion. I, for one, would notice the difference from "E" to "G" color but would not notice the difference in VS2 and SI1 provided, of course, that the SI1 inclusions were not eye visible. It's just up to you what you want in your stone.

Make sure to make the sale contigent on your being happy with an independant appraisal of the stone or have a good return policy in case the stone does not satisfy you in any way especialy if you are ordering the stone sight unseen.

mrbur10

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a diamond very similar to yours:

GIA round 1.27
G
VS1

It did not score as well on the HCA (2.1), and had a strong flouresence, which brings the price down some.

I thought I had a great deal at 6800 and so did my independent appraiser who was surprised with that price.

I'd say if you have a GIA or AGS cert to go along with it, then you have no worries, and a great deal. Just make sure you like what it looks like and then go for it!

ready

Rough_Rock
Thanks - it is an EGL(Los Angeles) Cert, that's the only thing that bothers me. However, I've seen the stone and am impressed.

mrbur10

Rough_Rock
It sounds like you have a nice rock and that your happy with it.

Being an EGL it may be a little more liberal in it's color and clarity grading then a GIA or AGS, perhaps an H/VS2 at worst, but it may not be.
The price range for a GIA H/VS2 with decent cuts on pricescope is 7336 - 8581, so your still doin pretty good in that range. Best bet is to take it to an appraiser and have them match it up with the cert.

Also do a search on the forum for EGL, see what you can find out and maybe that will answer and concerns that you may have.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results