shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anthony1015

Rough_Rock
O.k.. Very new at this and my knowledge of diamonds is limited. Help would be appreciated. Here is the ring I''m looking at:
GIA Certified
Princess Cut
1.02 carat
H color
VS1
White gold solitaire ring(nothing too special)
Looks very nice (to me).
$6,000

Too High? Good deal?
I''m loosing sleep!
9.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi!!!!

Do you know talbe diameter, total depth, girdle, polish and symmetry????? These would be quite helpful...
The price sound high... I've done a quick research and a nice H VS 1 with GIA report costs about 3000-5000$, depending on the site and cut quality...

Giangi

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too expensive by alot. I ran a quick Pricescope search using Princess cut, 1.01-1.05c size, H VS1 stones and the range is from $2800-4000 and there are about 50 stones to consider (about 200 results but some are the same stones sold through difference vendors)...99% of those stones are within that price range. So you are definitely overpaying.

White gold solitaire setting is worth around $200. You can get one on WhiteFlash.Com or almost any online website as they are pretty basic.

If you are looking at an offline B&M jeweler, you will pay a markup normally, but please use the education you can get on this forum and try to get them to price match if you decide you want this stone. Paying $500 more makes sense but to pay about $2-3k more is ridiculous. Some offline jewelers will price match or get as close as possible in order to get your business.

Or if you are not sold on this stone yet...try looking online. Princess cuts are harder to gauge by the #'s because there are not any really great 'standards' set forth for the cut as there are for rounds...so I would suggest that you buy an IdealScope if you continue to look locally at offline jewelers and make sure that your Princess cut stone has good light return under the scope (lots of reds and blacks instead of whites, grays and pale pinks). Or if you are looking online at princess cuts or radiants or Lucere or any of the brand name similar cuts...try to find a vendor who has an IS or has images for you to view, etc. This will help you determine which princess is the best cut for your $$ without using the hard #'s.

As you can see there are plenty of options for you if you use the Pricescope search tool, but if you decide to negotiate with your offline jeweler, drive a hard bargain! Take printouts with you of the pricing comparisons..and if he refuses to deal with you..I would not buy the stone there. Your money would be best spent elsewhere and you will probably pocket a few thousand in savings.

Good luck!!

anthony1015

Rough_Rock
I'm going to try and get that info! Again, I'm not sure what it means, but I guess this is what the forumn is for. Thanks for your info!

anthony1015

Rough_Rock
I will definitely use this information! Thank you sooo much. I have a feeling this will be a long process-- Hopefully, rewarding in the end. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results