shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this diamond ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dj0124

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I am in the processes of making a final decision on an engagement ring. Would like to know if I am getting my money's worth. The following are the specs...

Shape: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 5.09 x 5.11 x 3.10
Carat Weight: 0.48 ct

Proportions:
Depth: 60.8 %
Table: 56%
Girdle Thickness: Thin to Medium
Cutlet Size: None

Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good

Color: I
Clarity: VVS2

Flourescence: None

Price: $2000

Thank you in advance guys! :wavey:

dj0124

Rough_Rock
Forgot to add the ring is set in platinum setting.

jtaylr77

Rough_Rock
I think you should go with a better stone like this for much less
http://www.goodoldgold.com/_51ct_f_si1_h&a.htm

student

Shiny_Rock
Unless you like yellower stones, going for a higher color and lower clarity would be worth considering.

dj0124

Rough_Rock
Isn't I color diamond near in the "near colorless" range? So it would only have a tinge of yellow. Also, does an I color diamond look that bad against platinum? I can't afford to buy a higher color diamond.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 11/6/2002 2:38:25 PM

Isn't I color diamond near in the "near colorless" range? So it would only have a tinge of yellow. Also, does an I color diamond look that bad against platinum? I can't afford to buy a higher color diamond.

----------------

D, E, F, G, H, I, J

No, I is pretty down on the scale, no matter what they call it. "G" is near colorless.

student

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I didn't mean to say that I color was bad, just that VVS2 is a very high clarity grade, which you'll pay for, and it makes no visual difference to go this high in clarity. Of course, there's nothing wrong with liking the idea of very high clarity, beyond what you can see with the the unaided eye. However, if you're mostly concerned with what you can see with the unaided eye, then it might make sense to go for a VS2 or SI1 stone and get a whiter color, a larger size--or neither, and save some cash (now that's something you'll be able to see!).
:))

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
G thru J are considered near colorless, the question is how near?

Out of 23 colors your talking about a diamond that is 6 colors down the scale, I would not class it as way down and in the size your looking at once it is set it shouls face pretty darn white.

If your comparing them side by side loose, you should see a difference, that is what you pay for in color.

I would also agree you could move a little downward in clarity and upward in color. If you like this diamond I also see no reason not to buy it, most of this is personal taste anyway.

dj0124

Rough_Rock
Hi again,

We went looking for rings again and found a ring of better color but, lower carat. Which one should we buy?

Shape: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 4.22 x 4.24 x 2.58
Carat Weight: 0.28 ct

Proportions:
Depth: 61%
Table: 56%
Girdle Thickness: Thin to Medium
Cutlet Size: None

Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good

Color: E
Clarity: VS2

Flourescence: None

Price: $1100

This ring is also set in platinum.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I would rather have E-VS2 than I-VVS2. But, .28 is a lot smaller than .48. So you have to decide how it looks. It is easy to find stones. How about a .49 ct F-VS1 for under $2000? One that is also an AGS 0 H&A? And scores .5 on the Cut Advisor?

This one is $1857 if you mention pricescope.

http://www.whiteflash.com/wf/general/details.asp?catalog_name=Diamonds&category_name=All+Diamonds&product_id=AGS-3478707

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
Or if you want to keep the price under control, these two are are $1080 if you mention pricescope. They are .35 ct, and both are excellent cuts.

http://www.whiteflash.com/wf/general/details.asp?catalog_name=Diamonds&category_name=All+Diamonds&product_id=AGS-3416604

http://www.whiteflash.com/wf/general/details.asp?catalog_name=Diamonds&category_name=All+Diamonds&product_id=AGS-3416602

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/6/2002 4:16:04 PM

G thru J are considered near colorless, the question is how near?

Out of 23 colors your talking about a diamond that is 6 colors down the scale, I would not class it as way down and in the size your looking at once it is set it shouls face pretty darn white.

If your comparing them side by side loose, you should see a difference, that is what you pay for in color.

I would also agree you could move a little downward in clarity and upward in color. If you like this diamond I also see no reason not to buy it, most of this is personal taste anyway.
----------------

SteveL is a Jeweler with decades of experience. I would trust his very sage advice.

A stone this size if well cut will NOT show much body color. If you are concerned about this, try to find a stone w/ some blue Fluorecence. Remember, a diamond is graded face down for color. A well cut I color w/ blue fluor will face up every bit white, save you some money & purchase a more sizable stone.

If you wanted to massage the parameters, go w/ G/H and VS2 - SI1 in clarity. In a stone this size you will *probably* not see any inclusions.

Good luck.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/7/2002 7:36:36 PM

Hi again,

We went looking for rings again and found a ring of better color but, lower carat. Which one should we buy?

Price: $1100

This ring is also set in platinum.
----------------

Buy the bigger one. Which did you soon to be prefer? Can you afford the extra money? Also, why don't you do a pricescope comparision?

dj0124

Rough_Rock
I cannot afford a better or larger stone as I am on a very tight budget(starving student):(( . Also, I did some comparisions on pricescope and found that some diamonds which were not that much cheaper if I bought them seperately and built a ring from scratch. This is because, the platinum setting would cost me at least $400 if I built the ring with a loose stone. Both of these rings are set on the same 6 prong platinum setting. I'm leering to purchase the bigger diamond ring. Because, as SteveL pointed out the color is graded face up.

BTW, thank you everyone for your feedback. You guys are the greatest. Will keep you posted once the purchse is made.:))

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
if you are looking for a 6-prong platinum setting, there are several jewelers that offer them for as little as $300, so that shouldn't be of concern at all, especially because in both situations you described above, the price of the setting IS added to the price of the diamond. If you consider white gold, rather than platinum(which you may want to do w/ a limited budget) it goes down to under $200. plus when you buy online, unless you so choose, sales tax is non-existant.

even on blue nile (generally a little more expensive, but easy to search) they had 6 diamonds in the g-h, vs1, from .43 to .46, AGS or GIA certified for 1400-1550, with "ideal" proportions. add a $300 platinum setting, and you have $1700-$1850. Remember, most any diamond that is coming preset is probably graded by IGI or a similar lab, and the reports that they give are not as strictly graded as AGS or GIA. so your stone may actually be a J on other grading scales.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results