shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this diamond or hold out for larger?

irishcanadian

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This is my second thread and I hope you can help me out with this diamond. I want quality over quantity so have decided to stay around 0.9+ ct. My budget is $8000 CAD and I found this diamond at $7257 CAD which I think is beautiful.

I was hoping to hold out for something bigger maybe 0.96ct, would there be a significant eye view difference in size between this and a similar spec in 0.96ct:

091ct-photo.jpg
091ascet.png
091-ha.png
091-firescope.png
091ct-cert.jpg

Thanks,

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
My only advice is it depends on your eyes and how much they notice each mm of the dimensions. My eyes will pick up even a 1 mm difference. I recently compared two round stones with only a 3 mm face up difference and the one that faced up 3 mm less looked substantially smaller to me. The difference to me was huge. However that's just how my eyes work and how they process the size and light. Many people probably wouldn't notice a difference at all.

And no two diamonds are alike. You can search and dig and compare the best diamonds you can find but once you find one you feel is the prettiest you might not find another like it or be able to beat it.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roughly, the difference in diameter among 0.9c, 0.95c, and 1.0c is about 0.1mm.
For me 0.1mm difference in that carat range is visually negligible. 0.2mm, however, is noticeable.
I cannot detect difference between 0.95c and 1.0c, but between 0.9c and 1.0c, I can. Is the difference significant? Only the wearer can tell. 1.0c comes at a significant higher premium. Choosing 0.95c is a sensible strategy. But as you probably know, it REALLY limits search results. Even with time and patience, 0.95~0.99c H&A is a difficult find (I personally tried, and gave up after 4 months). It does not mean it is impossible.

The G VS1 must be from JA from the previous thread. It is a beautiful stone. It is an excellent choice IMHO. It is definitely near super-ideal level. 0.9c still has significant presence.
If you are not 100% convinced and still have time, wait for the next batch of inventory to arrive. As of now, it seems good stones are gone after Valentines.

Regardless, you will end up with a significantly better diamond than those from your very first post.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
I meant .3 mm in my post above but it's too late to edit. What I was trying to convey is I can see the difference but not everyone can. But I do feel sometimes it can be hard to top a great diamond for something like a small size difference. But you have to be comfortable with the size. I personally would accept something slightly smaller than I wanted if it was really great.

irishcanadian

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies, more than helpful.

I have put the diamond on hold until I decide, the only thing that is delaying my purchase is that the store doesn't allow returns on this diamond....

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi There,

I think the stone is pretty but I'm not sure I like the fact you can't return it if you don't like it. :(( Thats a lot of money when you factor in the exchange rate.

I'm not sure what your preference is in terms of colour or clarity, but have you looked at this H from James Allen? They are low on inventory I see. The H is a bit larger than the G, & looks to be nicely cut. I would be able to see a size difference between these 2 stones. I know the crystal is on the table but I just asked the sales associate & she said the stone has a notation it is eye clean. Some SI-1's & 2's that look crummy on these highly zoomed photos have surprised us & been eye clean in person. Doesn't hurt to look into it. Plus, the stone is in their inventory & returnable if its within the 30 day window. Have the gemologist confirm these details though, including their definition of eye clean (distance). They don't have an ASET so you'll have to ask for one. Our dollar is up a bit today & this one falls around your max budget of $8037 Can. without the PS discount or wire price. They will hold it under your PS username for 48hrs.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.02-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-887871

Can you check my LT listing for my email & email me so I can give you the reference #. There are a lot of lurkers on this site & if it is a stone you would like to follow up with, it will be gone before you can do so.
https://loupetroop.com/listings/bracelets/vintage-2-tone-floral-etched-slash-engraved-bracelet

Where are you going to get your setting? Do you know yet what kind you want? I haven't had anything made locally but I just got a quote for a Stuller setting from Adam at Bill Le Boeuf Jewellers in Barrie & the price is quite reasonable. Their setting fees are also reasonable too. It's an hours drive from TO but a nice country driven (if you are in Toronto that is). LOL
http://www.stuller.com

Judy

susief

Shiny_Rock
I would not buy a diamond without a return policy. Especially one I hadn't seen.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
No returns?? No buy. You don't have to put up with that kind of pressure. Plenty of vendors stand behind their product and recognize that you're spending a lot of money, and you're not an expert, and you might need to "adjust" your purchase.

irishcanadian

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies, as you have all recommended not to buy this diamond and keep looking. I agree with the cost of this investment I need to be sure I will be happy with it when I get it and if not that I can return it if I don't love it.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!
One more comment... I am sure I wouldnt be able to see the difference between 0.91 and 0.96 ct! That being said, I also think you need to be aware that the m.m size is not always exactly corresponding to the ct size. You need to compare the real m.m. size of the real stones because the diameter may vary so much that a 0.91 ct can be the same size top down as a 0.96 without there being issues with the cut. The m.m sizes arent always exactly the same, even in ideal cuts. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Good luck!
/aca :wavey:

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
irishcanadian|1456420941|3995588 said:
Thanks for your replies, more than helpful.

I have put the diamond on hold until I decide, the only thing that is delaying my purchase is that the store doesn't allow returns on this diamond....

Hey mate - I'm not allowed to comment on specific stones/vendors - but, in general .95-.99ct is a tough find - most cutters that didn't reach 1ct would get a bit of a spanking from their boss :) - there are a few nice ones out there, you'd just have to do a bit of searching. You might want to check if this diamond you like is a 'virtual' stone (not owned by the vendor you're dealing with), which could explain the 'no return' policy on it - - it might therefore be up for grabs from another vendor that has a better return policy - - so it might be in your best interest to see if anyone else can get you this stone & offer a better return policy.
Hope this helps

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results