shape
carat
color
clarity

should I buy extra bands in blue diamonds

kallard

Rough_Rock
I like my ring, but I am debating about complementing it with two blue diamond bands to be worn in between the engagement ring and the two diamond bands. The sapphire is surrounded by blue diamonds. The bands would be made by the same person that I bought the ring and bands from, so it would all match. (JuliaB)

Do you think this would be too much? - I mean, too many bands on one finger? Curious what other people think of this idea.

2016-05-15_10.jpg

-kallard

kallard

Rough_Rock
No one has an opinion one way or another?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like it and want it, I say go for it. You can always wear the bands with different rings.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YMMV but for wedding/engagement rings, which are chock full of meaning and emotion, I'd only consider fully natural diamonds.
The 'blue diamonds' you posted have color that is not natural.
It is the result of treatment in a lab.

I'm not putting treated FCDs down.
I just want to make sure you know they are treated and you asked for our opinions, twice.

People vary and many will be fine with treated FCDs, even synthetic FCDs in their engagement/wedding rings.
If so, enjoy.

BTW two separate things about FCDs may be natural, or not.
The material itself.
The color.
The material can be mined from the earth, or grown in a lab.
The color may be just as it came from the earth, or be the result of treatment in a lab.
When both are from the earth the FCD will be sold with a reputable lab report, hopefully GIA, to justify the very high cost.

I mention all this because often sellers of treated FCDs to not reveal the color itself is not of natural origin.
Sellers often just call them 'Natural Blue Diamonds" when the material was from the earth but they conveniently do not mention that color is the result of treatment.

Some buyers would not buy them if they knew this.
Fully natural blues are astronomically more expensive and you'd never find enough of them in the same size, let alone the same hue of blue, to make such a band.

Personally, I'd consider fully natural blue sapphires.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
well, since you're asking for opinions, I would not add the blue diamond bands. I think you have plenty going on already and the colorless diamond bands highlight your engagement ring nicely.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not add any diamond bands. Blue or colorless. If you want to have more options I would consider adding a plain band to the mix.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with the majority, no extra bands. I never would have guessed those were blue diamonds with the sapphire; they look so... flat? Maybe it's the cut or the treatment level but I wonder if blue sapphires would look exactly the same, if you do decide to go for the bands. They will probably be cheaper too and might look better then those diamonds.

kallard

Rough_Rock
Having a hard time writing this response. First, I should have thought more carefully on my original post and where I was posting it. I am a novice at buying anything of quality, as you can probably tell, both by my question and by my ring.

I had thought of enhancing with the two bands of color to signify something - each band 5 years of marriage (the ring being 5 also) to equal 25 years. I could buy two more bands to match the ones I already have, but I love color, so that is why I thought blue instead. I originally wondered if it would just be too many bands and make it too thick. I didn't think of it being heat-treated (which I am not a purest about). Personally, I am lucky I could even afford what I have.

I could instead spend the money on something else.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Kallard, imo, there is nothing wrong with treated stones as long as it's disclosed to the seller, you know and are ok with the treatment, and the price is reflective of it. I love JuliaB Jewelry for her designs and price points. I like the reason behind your 5 band idea and if you want the extra bands, go for it. Getting them from Julia B will ensure they match. Using blue sapphires would be more difficult to match your existing ring, I would think, and if you're ok with treated blue diamonds I don't see the point in doing that (a disclaimer here that I know nothing about treatments in diamonds). Also, if on some days you find that 5 is too much, you could always mix and match the bands. I also like Acinom's suggestion about plain bands. I am very simple with my rings and would only wear one band, but that's just me. You do what makes you happiest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
Ultimately you should do whatever makes you happy. You are the one who will be looking at your fingers most!

For me more than 3 bands on one finger gets uncomfortable.... so I would suggest trying some extra ones on somewhere or stacking ones you have, before custom ordering additional bands. You may love it or not. Just be sure first.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I remember Julia B's video of the ring: the pretty gallery, how the delicate inner halo of blue stones so nicely complemented the various moods of the Montana sapphire's sea color!

Is there a Kohl's near you? I took my teenaged neighbor there this weekend to shop for her prom jewelry & noticed they seemed to have a variety of slender bands set with stones (natural, cz's, Swarovski crystals). So that might be an easy place to "audition" 2 more bands. If the additional bands don't "work" for you, is there another piece of jewelry you would consider in commemoration of your anniversary?

FYI: I noticed just yesterday that Stuller offers treated diamonds in various sizes and colors --including teal. Perhaps Julia has some teal melee & she could send you a few stones so you could see them real life with your ring.

Last but most important... here's wishing you & your husband ar least 25 more years of happiness!! :appl:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kallard, I think your Montana sapphire ring set is beautiful and meaningful souvenir of your anniversary milestone! I also have a ring from JuliaB and find her quality and pricing to be very fair. She is a trustworthy vendor. As Kenny mentioned, blue diamonds are incredibly rare in real life and many have been irradiated (not simply heated) to achieve that blue color. Since the price is reasonable, I wouldn't worry overmuch about the treatment aspect unless you were looking for untreated blue diamonds (which I doubt are unrealistic for most people due to the scarcity and price). I agree with arabella's comments above.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the blue diamonds to be affordable, it will be more than heated, most likely irradiated.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I have no problem with irradiated blue diamonds. I love the vivd color and the fact that they are affordable. I think that adding two more bands to your stack might be a bit much. I have a wedding band and anniversary band stacked with my solitaire, and any more than that might be a little uncomfortable. If you decide to go for it, you might want to go up maybe 1/4 size because the more you stack, the tighter the rings will feel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be too much blue (or is it blue green?) and would take away from the center stone. On the other hand, a band with light pink stones would be a nice contrast. I wouldn't do a hot pink, but a pale pink. You could do light pink sapphires (diffused are more affordable and easier to obtain), morganites, or something more cost effective than pink diamonds. The stones are melee, so they don't have to be diamonds, as long as they are diamond cut. I am a fan of a warm hue next to a cool one in colored gems. If the center stone is more green, I would do yellow stones as a contrasting band (diffused yellow sapphires in a diamond cut).

kallard

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the more positive comments. I will think about it some more and maybe will try on some other rings with what I have to get a better idea first as suggested. Another negative to adding bands is the thickness it will add on the backside. The front would look fine, but it would make it wide on the back also, and might be more uncomfortable, so would want to try something on to see.

The bands also turn and get misaligned as it is. Adding two more would probably add to this problem.

After listening to the suggestions, and thinking about this, I have started thinking about other possibilities that have nothing to do with my wedding ring. These include new rings for a different hand/finger:

• my birthstone (aquamarine, but they are so light, that I am not sold on this idea)
  • mother's ring (but I have five kids and 3 are triplets, so can't figure out how to make that look right - 3 amethyst, 1 peridot, 1 sapphire)
  • just a ring I like

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
kallard|1463575039|4033177 said:
Thanks everyone for the more positive comments. I will think about it some more and maybe will try on some other rings with what I have to get a better idea first as suggested. Another negative to adding bands is the thickness it will add on the backside. The front would look fine, but it would make it wide on the back also, and might be more uncomfortable, so would want to try something on to see.

The bands also turn and get misaligned as it is. Adding two more would probably add to this problem.

After listening to the suggestions, and thinking about this, I have started thinking about other possibilities that have nothing to do with my wedding ring. These include new rings for a different hand/finger:

• my birthstone (aquamarine, but they are so light, that I am not sold on this idea)
  • mother's ring (but I have five kids and 3 are triplets, so can't figure out how to make that look right - 3 amethyst, 1 peridot, 1 sapphire)
  • just a ring I like

I am not sure why people here jumped in about treated diamonds as it wasn't what you asked- and I was a bit taken aback-so I can imagine how you felt. I think your ring is lovely and as I said in my earlier post I think it looks nice as is. A mother's ring might be a great idea! Look at some of Yvonne's 5 stone rings. You could place the amethyst in the center and the 2 ends. Peridot and sapphire in between the amethysts- maybe a hot pink sapphire instead of blue?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My reason for mentioning treatment is because most people are not aware that most are treated and that there are many different treatment methods. It could well be that she doesn't care about it, which is fine. For me, I would like to know what I am buying, since that is my hard earned money. Since she mentioned that she doesn't mind any form of treatment, I dropped the subject.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring is beautiful! I saw videos on Instagram from julia and think the combination of blue and white is perfect :) I agree that maybe going somewhere like kohls to try on a few inexpensive bands and see what strikes you might be a good choice. That way you can see colors IRL with your ring before making a decision. But no matter what you choose it will look great :)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1463582020|4033210 said:
My reason for mentioning treatment is because most people are not aware that most are treated and that there are many different treatment methods. It could well be that she doesn't care about it, which is fine. For me, I would like to know what I am buying, since that is my hard earned money. Since she mentioned that she doesn't mind any form of treatment, I dropped the subject.

I was not referring to your comment, Chrono. :wavey: It was informational only. There were a couple of posts that were more critical in nature. Lately, I've noticed many posters are being less than kind in their responses. :naughty:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Op said herself she didn't think of it being heat treated (and I assume treated at all). Knowledge is power and now the op is aware of these treatments. Whether she accepts it or not she has a right to the knowledge... and I feel everyone here contributed knowledge (and not unkindly). Not everyone will sugarcoat everything.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1463581624|4033206 said:

• just a ring I like

I am not sure why people here jumped in about treated diamonds as it wasn't what you asked

HUH?

I, Kenny, not 'people' brought up that the origin of that blue color was treatment, not nature.

As already stated in my post many, probably the majority of, sellers of such goods do not disclose that the origin of the blue of such FCDs is laboratory treatment, not nature.
They call them "Natural Blue Diamonds". :nono: :roll:
Therefore it is reasonable to assume the vast majority of customers assume the origin of the blue is nature.

IMO the purpose of PS is to educate so buyers are protected from being lied to.
Many times I have pointed out this deception, and many times the buyers are surprised and thank me.

As I've already stated if a buyer is fine with buying treated diamonds, or synthetic ones, that's fine.
To repeat, yet again, there is nothing wrong with diamonds that are lab-grown or treated for color.
Nothing.
What's not fine is sellers lying ... and unfortunately that's very common with such blue diamonds.

People being lied to and deceived is not a time to 'respect diversity' and protect dishonest vendors ... and just allow buyers to be lied to and just remain blissfully ignorant.

IMO, here at PS we have an obligation to tell the truth and protect consumers from being scammed.

If someone posted they were considering purchasing a diamond they had no clue was clarity-enhanced would you say nothing?
That would not be being nice.
That would be being mean.

Sometimes I think some people here want to protect buyers from the truth so they can pretend and believe that they are getting something worth many times what they are actually buying.
PS is supposed to protect their ignorance, and their bliss?
This doesn't fly with clarity enhanced diamonds, synthetic diamonds or with 'E VVS1s' from those flakey labs, which GIA would grade H SI2.
Why should not-fully natural FCDs that are represented to buyers as natural get a pass?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
theredspinel|1463602653|4033296 said:
Op said herself she didn't think of it being heat treated (and I assume treated at all). Knowledge is power and now the op is aware of these treatments. Whether she accepts it or not she has a right to the knowledge... and I feel everyone here contributed knowledge (and not unkindly). Not everyone will sugarcoat everything.

In your original post you said her blue diamonds looked "flat" that surrounded her sapphire. I think that comment was unkind.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1463614835|4033353 said:
pinkjewel|1463581624|4033206 said:

• just a ring I like

I am not sure why people here jumped in about treated diamonds as it wasn't what you asked

HUH?

I, Kenny, not 'people' brought up that the origin of that blue color was treatment, not nature.

As already stated in my post many, probably the majority of, sellers of such goods do not disclose that the origin of the blue of such FCDs is laboratory treatment, not nature.
They call them "Natural Blue Diamonds". :nono: :roll:
Therefore it is reasonable to assume the vast majority of customers assume the origin of the blue is nature.

IMO the purpose of PS is to educate so buyers are protected from being lied to.
Many times I have pointed out this deception, and many times the buyers are surprised and thank me.

As I've already stated if a buyer is fine with buying treated diamonds, or synthetic ones, that's fine.
To repeat, yet again, there is nothing wrong with diamonds that are lab-grown or treated for color.
Nothing.
What's not fine is sellers lying ... and unfortunately that's very common with such blue diamonds.

People being lied to and deceived is not a time to 'respect diversity' and protect dishonest vendors ... and just allow buyers to be lied to and just remain blissfully ignorant.

IMO, here at PS we have an obligation to tell the truth and protect consumers from being scammed.

If someone posted they were considering purchasing a diamond they had no clue was clarity-enhanced would you say nothing?
That would not be being nice.
That would be being mean.

Sometimes I think some people here want to protect buyers from the truth so they can pretend and believe that they are getting something worth many times what they are actually buying.
PS is supposed to protect their ignorance, and their bliss?
This doesn't fly with clarity enhanced diamonds, synthetic diamonds or with 'E VVS1s' from those flakey labs, which GIA would grade H SI2.
Why should not-fully natural FCDs that are represented to buyers as natural get a pass?
Kenny, I know you like to educate people on FCDs. That's fine- I don't disagree with that at all. But just because You would only use all natural FCDs for an important piece like an engagement ring or wedding ring , doesn't mean everyone wants to or even can afford to do that. Again, the OP already had treated blue diamonds in her engagement ring- how do you think your statement probably made her feel? Also, I don't think of JuliaB as a dishonest vendor.

My point I am trying to make is just to be considerate of other people's feelings when you post. :rolleyes:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I was really torn on how to phrase that... my apologies op I really didn't mean to hurt your feelings (I just gave up trying to find a way to say it nicely and stuck with blunt)!

I do feel it was important to say it because in my opinion you can get sapphires that look like that so I'd want to be told if I could get the "same" thing for cheaper... why pay the diamond premium?

It was purely an FYI comment; if you wanted to be savvy and save money then you could go for X. Anyway enough derailing of this thread from me now!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Should also add, both opinions, mine stating diamonds looked flat and pink yours stating she has 'plenty going on already' are both visual subjective perceptions/judgements so I don't think it's fair to pull one such perception up on 'unkindness' and not the other. Neither are fact; both are subjective opinions.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
theredspinel|1463651132|4033466 said:
Should also add, both opinions, mine stating diamonds looked flat and pink yours stating she has 'plenty going on already' are both visual subjective perceptions/judgements so I don't think it's fair to pull one such perception up on 'unkindness' and not the other. Neither are fact; both are subjective opinions.

OK- this is the Last thing I'm going to say on this topic. If you can't see the difference, well, let's just leave it at that. :wall: The OP asked whether she should add blue diamond bands- I answered her question since she asked for opinions. I said "No"- I felt it looked good as is. YOU turned around and basically criticized her present engagement ring saying it had "flat" looking blue diamonds. She didn't ask about the quality of her engagement ring stones. Sheesh! I see that it was your way of saying don't get more bands with those blue diamonds, but my point again is just to be more considerate in the way things are worded. I'm sure you could have figured out a way to say it without saying something negative about her engagement ring which she already owns and already said she liked! And OP- I think it's lovely, too.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Like I already said:

theredspinel|1463645820|4033451 said:
I do feel it was important to say it because in my opinion you can get sapphires that look like that so I'd want to be told if I could get the "same" thing for cheaper... why pay the diamond premium?!/quote]
theredspinel|1463645820|4033451 said:
Maybe if no one tried to do any policing things would get taken in the manner they were meant and wouldn't result in big deals like this. You've got justification for your subjective comment as have I.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Well I'm just chiming in to say that this is actually one of my very favorite engagement rings that I've seen on PS! I have a picture of it on my phone in my jewelry inspiration folder! I think it's absolutely gorgeous and I love how the blue diamonds match the color of the sapphire. I wouldn't change a thing. I'm more of a minimalist so I would wear it personally with one or even no band! But that's just me. Would love to see how it looks beside a blue band of diamonds! Keep us posted :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take this for what it is worth because my tastes tend towards gaudy- But I pair every colored stone ring with a white diamond band (or two) on most days. I think white diamond bands work with every colored gem and enhance their color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results