shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I be concerned with graining?

katycushion

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm currently deciding between two cushion cut diamonds I have seen them in person and I'm going back to have a second look this evening. Below are the specifications of the two and both are roughly the same price, I know it's hard to tell without seeing them but from the specification which one do you think I should go for? And do you think I should be concerned with the internal and external graining in the E VVS2?

0.80 E VVS2
5.52x5.23x3.61
Table: 57%
Depth:69%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluoresense: None
Clarity Characteristics: Feather, Pinpoint, Internal Graining, External Graining

0.91 F SI1
5.57x5.38x3.55
Table: 59%
Depth:66%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Good
Fluoresense: None
Clarity Characteristics: Crystal

Thanks
Katy

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
No you shouldn't be concerned with graining or clarity characteristics with a VVS clarity diamond, but it could be more of a concern with an SI clarity stone...

VVS means you will struggle to see anything under a 10x loupe nevermind with the eye.

With that SI clarity diamond though, I think a crystal is one of the least offensive inclusions, depends where it is of course i.e. not smack bang in the middle of the table...

katycushion

Rough_Rock
Thanks decisively_unsure!

When I viewed the VVS2 diamond yesterday at one point I thought it looked less sparkly next to some of the others I was looking at and then when I got home I saw the graining mentioned on the GIA report which then made me wonder if that was what was causing it. But it might just have been the light which is why I'm going to view the two I liked again this evening but wanted to get peoples opinions on it first.

The SI1 diamond is eye clean and I think when I looked at it under the microscope the crystal inclusion is on the table but you can't see it with the naked eye.

The picture below shows the two diamonds in question, the SI1 is on the far left and the VVS2 is on the far right.

diamonds_4.png

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
If the cut & proportions are nicer on the SI diamond then it'll look clearer & more sparkly than the VVS. It's difficult to tell from the photos, the only way to really tell is to do what you're doing & let the eyes decide.

miraj

Rough_Rock
I think a crystal is one of the least offensive inclusion

It depends on the color. You can have a black crystal that is very visible or a transparent crystal.

Is the crystal on the SI1, the black spot on the left side of the stone in that picture? If so, I would say it is pretty visible. It might bother some people or it might not...

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with what decisely_unsure has said. Don't worry about graining in a VVS affecting beauty or light performance. If the Si looks better to you, then it is probably better cut or you like the "flavor" of the cushion better. Let your eye and sense of aesthetic be your main guide.

Fancy shape diamonds in general offer a wider range of variables and there is a wider range of opinions on what is most appealing. That is the biggest thing you have to determine for yourself and stats on a GIA report do not help much.

Make sure both stones are wiped very clean when comparing them.

katycushion

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, I am going to the jewellers in an hour so I will let you know what I decide.

miraj - I think the black spot in the picture might just be due to the lighting but I will double check when I'm there.

Texas Leaguer - Is there anything within the GIA certificate and the stats posted that indicates whether one is a better cut then the other?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
katycushion|1447349288|3948822 said:
Thanks everyone, I am going to the jewellers in an hour so I will let you know what I decide.

miraj - I think the black spot in the picture might just be due to the lighting but I will double check when I'm there.

Texas Leaguer - Is there anything within the GIA certificate and the stats posted that indicates whether one is a better cut then the other?
Honestly no. Even though the VVS is EX EX, the Si EX Good might be the better cut overall. They do appear to have different facet arrangements (and therefore flavors), although it is not possible to tell much from those images. As I said, stats on a GIA report shed little light on actual performance. And then the aesthetic can vary greatly as well. Your eye is your best and most important tool for final selection.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1447351417|3948846 said:
katycushion|1447349288|3948822 said:

Honestly no. Even though the VVS is EX EX, the Si EX Good might be the better cut overall. They do appear to have different facet arrangements (and therefore flavors), although it is not possible to tell much from those images. As I said, stats on a GIA report shed little light on actual performance. And then the aesthetic can vary greatly as well. Your eye is your best and most important tool for final selection.

As usual, Texas Leaguer speaks wisely.

Wink

katycushion

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone!! After an hour looking at both diamonds in great detail and taking lots of pics and videos I decided to go for the 0.80 E VVS2. Here are some additional pictures below.

Thank you for all your help!

diamond_1_15.jpg

diamond_2_1.png

diamond_3_2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results