shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I avoid feathers? Which should I pick?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stoikone

Rough_Rock
I''ve been looking at these 3 pieces. Bluenile''s consultant suggests the first one among the three, but am concerned with the long feather. Is this something I should we worried about? How does it affect the integrity of the diamond? Your expert opinion and best choice from the three will be truly appreciated before the big purchase!

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-si2-clarity_LD01379222

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-h-color-si2-clarity_LD01136854

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-h-color-si2-clarity_LD01476240

33.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 9:58:35 PM
Author:stoikone
I've been looking at these 3 pieces. Bluenile's consultant suggests the first one among the three, but am concerned with the long feather. Is this something I should we worried about? How does it affect the integrity of the diamond? Your expert opinion and best choice from the three will be truly appreciated before the big purchase!

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-si2-clarity_LD01379222

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-h-color-si2-clarity_LD01136854

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-h-color-si2-clarity_LD01476240

33.gif
Just making the links clickable, then will take a look and comment. Welcome to PS
35.gif

As far as quality of cut, I much prefer the numbers on #2 & #3, the first is a little steep in the pavillion. On what criteria is the BN consultant basing their recommendation? Since they are a drop shipper, it is not based on actually viewing the stones, which brings up another issue. I would be hesitant to buy an SI2 clarity from a vendor who cannot eyeball the diamond to confirm whether it is eye-clean. They do have a good return policy if you buy one of these and find it is not to your liking. Otherwise, if you are open to purchasing from other vendors, there are many that would provide photos, performance images, and physically examine the diamond before shipping--all things that BN does not do.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2009 11:13:06 PM
Author: jet2ks

Date: 9/15/2009 9:58:35 PM
Author:stoikone
I''ve been looking at these 3 pieces. Bluenile''s consultant suggests the first one among the three, but am concerned with the long feather. Is this something I should we worried about? How does it affect the integrity of the diamond? Your expert opinion and best choice from the three will be truly appreciated before the big purchase!

33.gif
Just making the links clickable, then will take a look and comment. Welcome to PS
35.gif

As far as quality of cut, I much prefer the numbers on #2 & #3, the first is a little steep in the pavillion. On what criteria is the BN consultant basing their recommendation? Since they are a drop shipper, it is not based on actually viewing the stones, which brings up another issue. I would be hesitant to buy an SI2 clarity from a vendor who cannot eyeball the diamond to confirm whether it is eye-clean. They do have a good return policy if you buy one of these and find it is not to your liking. Otherwise, if you are open to purchasing from other vendors, there are many that would provide photos, performance images, and physically examine the diamond before shipping--all things that BN does not do.
Ditto.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
thritto.

stoikone

Rough_Rock
Thanks, jet2ks. The BN consultant had the stone checked by an "expert". I used the cut adviser on this site, and the 1st stone was only a 4.6. I''m even surprised at how he insists on the 1st stone given that the feathers are quite big, in my opinion. I''ve been reading up on feathers and I''m getting different reviews. Some think it may affect the stone''s durability, some think it''s nothing to be concerned about unless it''s located in the girdle area.

Aside from BN, what are other vendors that have competitive price, but offer more features, like pics, on their site? I was looking at Mondera and James Allen as well. Mondera doesn''t have the GIA report on most of their items. JA, I feel like their actual photo doesn''t match the GIA plot. Thanks!
1.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
JA is very competitive in pricing. No point in reading a stone inclusions by the loupe image, focus length and lighting conditions comes to play here.

UnionDiamond, Exceldiamond, IDJewelry also offers images on request.

GoodOldGold, WhiteFlash, NiceIce and HighPerformanceDiamond sells mainly H&A and are priced slightly higher but have better trade-in policy.

stoikone

Rough_Rock
I''m going to check out those sites. Thanks Stone-cold11!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck. :)

tap02150

Shiny_Rock
yeah, you really can''t go wrong with a price scope vendor. They are here for a reason :D I went with Whiteflash, but i enjoyed shopping at goodoldgold.com as well as highperformancediamonds.com

-ted

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Stone Cold has you covered. Good luck on your searching. Once you narrow it down to a few choices, feel free to post the information if you would like help reviewing. (Make sure the diamonds are on hold before posting if you are seriously interested)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not buy a diamond with a feather.
Feathers are cracks, and that makes me nervous.
Sure, even a flawless diamond could chip if hit just right.
But my reasoning tells me that a diamond with a crack must be more vulnerable than one with no cracks.

Clearly many people are not bothered by them.
I guess they are convinced the additional weakness is not a factor if the crack does not reach the surface or something.

My perspective is this:
Which is stronger, a crystal with or without a crack?
Without, of course.

Next question about the cracked one would be, how much does it weaken the crystal and does it matter?
What are the odds my diamond will fail because of a crack?
I'm not a gambler, and since plenty of diamonds do not have cracks why not just keep shopping?

This is another comfort level thing.
Many people buy diamonds with "feathers" and have no problems.
That's fine, for them.
But when it comes to selecting one for me I am just closed minded, sorry.
Also it bothers me that the industry adopted the term "feather" instead of just calling them cracks.
It's deceptive, manipulative and frankly insulting.

stoikone

Rough_Rock
Kenny- I agree with you about feathers. Personally, I just don't feel comfortable buying a stone with a feather. Maybe if it were small, I can get myself to accept it. But the diamond (1st on the list) that BN prefers definitely doesn't have small feathers.

So, BN had the other 2 checked. Their expert confirmed that the 2nd diamond is eye clean. I asked for pictures of the actual diamonds, but they didn't provide any. I've been looking at the other sites stone-cold11 had listed. White Flash and Good Old Gold are pretty cool. They have more features. I'll probably search for another day or two, or do you guys think I should just purchase the 2nd diamond? Thanks again!

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 6:55:09 AM
Author: Stone-cold11

do you happen to know what kind if images do they provide?
aset or is or h&a ?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 11:18:51 AM
Author: kenny
I would not buy a diamond with a feather.

Feathers are cracks, and that makes me nervous.
1)
i have seen some grading charts with a diamond that has lots of small tiny feathers all spread around.
is that a bad thing too?

2)
i notice that the the 1st diamond and 2nd diamond are both SI2 but they have quite vastly different plot charts.
The 2nd diamond plot chart almost look like an SI1 instead....

any ideas why this happens to be the case?

3)a 1.14ct H SI2 diamond is pretty good price at <5000usd right?
this is of course assuming it has good optical symmetry..

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I have read that flawless diamonds are actually MORE likely to break than ones with flaws. The molecules in a flawless diamond are all lined up in straight rows without any flaws to get in the way and stop the cleavage if it happens to be hit just so. At least, that''s how I understood it.

I hope some of the experts will chime in on this.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2009 10:33:21 PM
Author: haagen_dazs

aset or is or h&a ?
Excel offer both, I am not sure with the other two, I know they do Idealscope but not sure on ASET.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 4:06:55 AM
Author: Lorelei
aset or is or h&a ?
Excel offer both, I am not sure with the other two, I know they do Idealscope but not sure on ASET.

Ditto on Excel. UD, saw their H&A image for bongolover''s thread and seems to have a handheld ASET, but not set up for photo taking. IDJewelry not sure too.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2009 10:36:43 PM
1)
i have seen some grading charts with a diamond that has lots of small tiny feathers all spread around.
is that a bad thing too?

2)
i notice that the the 1st diamond and 2nd diamond are both SI2 but they have quite vastly different plot charts.
The 2nd diamond plot chart almost look like an SI1 instead....
any ideas why this happens to be the case?

3)a 1.14ct H SI2 diamond is pretty good price at <5000usd right?
this is of course assuming it has good optical symmetry..

That is why we do not like to judge a stone''s eye-clean level by the inclusion plots. There are plots that look dirty that is eye-clean and vice versa. Only the vendor with the stone in hand can give you an answer to that.

Yekutiel

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 5:22:39 AM

aset or is or h&a ?

Ditto on Excel. UD, saw their H&A image for bongolover''s thread and seems to have a handheld ASET, but not set up for photo taking. IDJewelry not sure too.

Hi Lorelei and Stone Cold

Kudos for both of you that you devote your time in helping people selecting diamonds that they would enjoy and admire for the rest of there lives. Just for clarification we hand inspect every diamond that is requested before we ship and will gladly provide Idealscope and Aset images of any diamond listed.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2009 9:39:58 AM
Author: Yekutiel

Date: 9/18/2009 5:22:39 AM

aset or is or h&a ?

Hi Lorelei and Stone Cold

Kudos for both of you that you devote your time in helping people selecting diamonds that they would enjoy and admire for the rest of there lives. Just for clarification we hand inspect every diamond that is requested before we ship and will gladly provide Idealscope and Aset images of any diamond listed.
Thanks for the reply Yekutiel, much appreciated and duly noted!
35.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
it would be nice to have a sticky on the forum page detailing which vendor''s provide what.
what would be really helpful for everyone new to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results