shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I add safety chain to my tennis bracelet?

Tiffany44

Rough_Rock
Hi Ladies, I just got a tennis bracelet n need some help on adding a safety chain? I have lost a wedding bracelet (same clasp) before and paranoid of losing another one again. Does anyone here regretted after adding a safety chain?

489DC5D1-ED27-41C9-9C85-5601B9840B60.jpeg

Last edited:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not a fan of safety chains myself, i find them distracting. I have on my tennis bracelet the same clasps as yours and it is very secure. But if you’ve already lost a bracelet because the 3 clasps failed maybe you need A chain! May I ask what you were doing when it was lost? Perhaps it broke at a point other than the clasp?

Tiffany44

Rough_Rock
I’m not a fan of safety chains myself, i find them distracting. I have on my tennis bracelet the same clasps as yours and it is very secure. But if you’ve already lost a bracelet because the 3 clasps failed maybe you need A chain! May I ask what you were doing when it was lost? Perhaps it broke at a point other than the clasp?

I only worn my wedding bracelet 2-3 times max. Each time just for an occasion (1 day) n went back to the safe. The last time I wore was to a dinner place and I don’t even realize it was lost till I reached home. Another reason I’m limboing on adding a safety chain is having the same thought that it might broke at some point than to a failed clasp.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that clasp style is one that tends to come loose over time i think...i'd probably add the safety chain. i don't know what they are called but the bits that hook on to secure the bracelet, they can be tightened periodically by your jeweler or yourself if you're comfortable with jewelry pliers.

Tiffany44

Rough_Rock
that clasp style is one that tends to come loose over time i think...i'd probably add the safety chain. i don't know what they are called but the bits that hook on to secure the bracelet, they can be tightened periodically by your jeweler or yourself if you're comfortable with jewelry pliers.

Yes. The last time when I worn my wedding bracelet I did felt the clasp has loosen but didn’t think much as I’m just going out for a dinner n be right back.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Pretty bracelet. I like the 3 prong setting style like that. :kiss2:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If your clasp is in proper operational condition a safety chain is overkill. It also might be annoying if it catches on things.

Your clasp already has a safety on the side. So if the tongue on the main clasp should disengage, the side safety will hold it together.

The tongue can get loose over time, and the safety also. If either feels like it is not holding tight, it's time to take a trip to your jeweler. Many times these adjustments are simple. In some cases one or the other may require some work. Worst case, a new clasp.

Tiffany44

Rough_Rock
If your clasp is in proper operational condition a safety chain is overkill. It also might be annoying if it catches on things.

Your clasp already has a safety on the side. So if the tongue on the main clasp should disengage, the side safety will hold it together.

The tongue can get loose over time, and the safety also. If either feels like it is not holding tight, it's time to take a trip to your jeweler. Many times these adjustments are simple. In some cases one or the other may require some work. Worst case, a new clasp.

Yes. But I still lost my wedding bracelet with the same exact clasp which I have worn on 2-3 occasions (each occasion max a day). Currently this new bracelet is kept in safe as well as I’m being paranoid to wear it out. Maybe I’m just unlucky to lost on the 3rd time.

Last edited:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. But I still lost my wedding bracelet with the same exact clasp which I have worn on 2-3 occasions (each occasion max a day). Currently this new bracelet is kept in safe as well as I’m being paranoid to wear it out. Maybe I’m just unlucky to lost on the 3rd time.

This is where I am a bit confused....you have a main clasp and a safety clasp on each side. You think all 3 failed? That seems very unlikely if the bracelet was only worn a few times and was new.
But, it is too beautiful a bracelet to leave in the safe unworn so do what you need to do to make it feel secure enough to wear. I'm comfortable with three clasps on mine and would not add a chain. I do take care to note if they are snug/secure when I put them on or off.
I do have one diamond bangle that the clasp button was in a bad spot and I bumped it several times by accident. I chose to add a safety clasp rather than redo a different type of clasp and while it bothers me that it is there (the bangle is very clean and sleek otherwise) it makes it secure enough to wear.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hate safety chains they get in the way and look distracting so I wouldn’t but if it gives you piece of mind and the look doesn’t bother you then it’s a no brained!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have a bracelet with that type of clasp and all 3 can come loose...i hardly wear bracelets and had a similar experience with mine coming loose though luckily it didn't slip off, i just don't think it's the most secure kind of clasp.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooh and I forgot to say it’s a lovely bracelet!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

put a safely chain on
if it doesn't work out you can always have it removed

Tiffany44

Rough_Rock
This is where I am a bit confused....you have a main clasp and a safety clasp on each side. You think all 3 failed? That seems very unlikely if the bracelet was only worn a few times and was new.
But, it is too beautiful a bracelet to leave in the safe unworn so do what you need to do to make it feel secure enough to wear. I'm comfortable with three clasps on mine and would not add a chain. I do take care to note if they are snug/secure when I put them on or off.
I do have one diamond bangle that the clasp button was in a bad spot and I bumped it several times by accident. I chose to add a safety clasp rather than redo a different type of clasp and while it bothers me that it is there (the bangle is very clean and sleek otherwise) it makes it secure enough to wear.

unfortunately neither all 3 clasp failed nor it snapped at some point..

Tiffany44

Rough_Rock
I hate safety chains they get in the way and look distracting so I wouldn’t but if it gives you piece of mind and the look doesn’t bother you then it’s a no brained!

All my other bracelet n bangle don’t have a safety chain. I don’t wear them often but after I lost my wedding bracelet I totally stop wearing one.

Tiffany44

Rough_Rock
i have a bracelet with that type of clasp and all 3 can come loose...i hardly wear bracelets and had a similar experience with mine coming loose though luckily it didn't slip off, i just don't think it's the most secure kind of clasp.

I hardly wear bracelet or bangle as well. Maybe thats why I don’t think I will lost it (for a day wear) n didn’t feel it when the bracelet no longer on my hand.

You are so so lucky to get hold of your bracelet!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine has a safety chain but not the side safety. It’s not removable so the bracelet has to be long enough to slip on my hand when the safety chain is fully extended. That means that theoretically, the bracelet could slip off if the clasp disengaged before I notice it, but I suppose that’s not likely given that I’d probably feel it literally slip through my fingers.

The gold bracelet next to it has a tongue & groove clasp with two side safety catches. It has nearly fallen off my wrist twice. I was debating whether to put a safety chain on it but ended up having a jeweler tighten one of the safety clasps, and I adjusted the main clasp myself. If it keeps happening, I’d probably put a safety chain on it.

So, to answer your question, why not. Might be worth discussing with your jeweler and maybe adding one that has a spring ring clasp so you’re not forced to slip your bracelet on.

FC9DD0DE-CD9F-4B54-9200-21F0A3A03D77.jpeg 2A9CEA4A-B30A-4F55-801F-AD91F16A9502.jpeg 8701F2E8-45C7-4FCA-8604-26A90EF3A305.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
All my other bracelet n bangle don’t have a safety chain. I don’t wear them often but after I lost my wedding bracelet I totally stop wearing one.

i feel your pain
i mean i guess lucky mine wasn't a diamond tennis braclet from my wedding but ive lost two silver belcher braclets and im kinda loath to replace it again
im too scared to wear my mother's braclete she got for her 25th wedding anniversary and that has a safety chain
maybe just wear it around the house - after dinner when all the risky activities of the day are done

Tiffany44

Rough_Rock
Mine has a safety chain but not the side safety. It’s not removable so the bracelet has to be long enough to slip on my hand when the safety chain is fully extended. That means that theoretically, the bracelet could slip off if the clasp disengaged before I notice it, but I suppose that’s not likely given that I’d probably feel it literally slip through my fingers.

The gold bracelet next to it has a tongue & groove clasp with two side safety catches. It has nearly fallen off my wrist twice. I was debating whether to put a safety chain on it but ended up having a jeweler tighten one of the safety clasps, and I adjusted the main clasp myself. If it keeps happening, I’d probably put a safety chain on it.

So, to answer your question, why not. Might be worth discussing with your jeweler and maybe adding one that has a spring ring clasp so you’re not forced to slip your bracelet on.

FC9DD0DE-CD9F-4B54-9200-21F0A3A03D77.jpeg 2A9CEA4A-B30A-4F55-801F-AD91F16A9502.jpeg 8701F2E8-45C7-4FCA-8604-26A90EF3A305.jpeg

OMG that’s a beautiful beautiful tennis bracelet! Your safety chain is so short n cute n unnoticeable. I did check with my jeweler, for this type of slip on safety chain, I need to add 6cm of chain to slip through my hand (fat hands). I could have a shorter chain if 1 side is spring hook type.

Tiffany44

Rough_Rock
i feel your pain
i mean i guess lucky mine wasn't a diamond tennis braclet from my wedding but ive lost two silver belcher braclets and im kinda loath to replace it again
im too scared to wear my mother's braclete she got for her 25th wedding anniversary and that has a safety chain
maybe just wear it around the house - after dinner when all the risky activities of the day are done

Your mum’s 25th wedding anniversary bracelet is so so precious!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
It’s your bracelet — if a safety chain gives you peace of mind then go for it!

I have a bracelet with the same style of clasp as yours and it broke at one of the joints not anywhere near the clasp. Sometimes it’s just a matter of bad luck.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG that’s a beautiful beautiful tennis bracelet! Your safety chain is so short n cute n unnoticeable. I did check with my jeweler, for this type of slip on safety chain, I need to add 6cm of chain to slip through my hand (fat hands). I could have a shorter chain if 1 side is spring hook type.

You do not have fat hands! I think a chain with spring ring clasp would be great. The only reason I can get away with such a short one is because the bracelet is a bit long for me. If it fit snugly, I’d never get the bracelet on without being able to unhook the chain.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your mum’s 25th wedding anniversary bracelet is so so precious!

its just a silver bangle pearls but it has great sentiment so id be upset if i lost it
its a hinged bangle and too be honest a touch too tight for me.

my apologies, i did droll over your braclete but i forgot to tell you :doh: :twirl::lickout:
i would have been inconsolable if i had lost a wedding braclete

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
of all the heart breaking things ive lost - and im talking things that adorn a wrist - the only thing i ever found again was a $7.99 beaded little thing in really long grass on a public walking track at least 2 hours latter

i would rather someone found something that was lost ...and you know maybe it would be nice if they made an attempt to find the owner ...but id hate something really valuable going under a council lawnmower or being run over in the street

L

lydial

Mine is very similar. It has never popped off and I think most people assume it is fake. I literally just played tennis in mine... hope I don’t lose it! AB831FF6-1B66-4455-9751-90021BDB5EDC.jpeg

Tiffany44

Rough_Rock
It’s your bracelet — if a safety chain gives you peace of mind then go for it!

I have a bracelet with the same style of clasp as yours and it broke at one of the joints not anywhere near the clasp. Sometimes it’s just a matter of bad luck.

After reading a few cases of bracelet snapped at some point which I suspected mine might be snapped? Makes me even more paranoid!

Tiffany44

Rough_Rock
its just a silver bangle pearls but it has great sentiment so id be upset if i lost it
its a hinged bangle and too be honest a touch too tight for me.

my apologies, i did droll over your braclete but i forgot to tell you :doh: :twirl::lickout:
i would have been inconsolable if i had lost a wedding braclete

My wedding bracelet is also sentiment as it’s from my very very close aunt who passed away. I’m so depressed n replay where could I lose it? In the car? In the restaurant? I called the restaurant to check as well.... Lucky or not I found an exact one (from the same store) n brought it as a replacement (it’s a set of diamond necklace n bracelet with same design) n finally healed my heart. It’s lost but it’s replaced n it’s been in the safe ever since 10 years ago!

Thank you for the compliment. I have been eyeing a tennis bracelet for years but can’t bear to part with the money till I chanced upon this piece which really sparks my heart n love at 1st sight!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results