shape
carat
color
clarity

Should dealers encourage users to write PS reviews?

Should dealers encourage clients to write PS reviews?

• Yes

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 31 67.4%

• Total voters

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never been asked by a PS vendor to write a review and that is how I prefer it. if I wanted to I would and like others here I believe amazing work and gorgeous bling speaks for itself. I look to the SMTB threads to evaluate whether a vendor might be the right fit for me. I take reviews with a grain of salt depending on who is writing it and what they say and what the actual finished product looks like. And then I still make up my own mind based on my actual experience. In other words don't depend on a review to get an amazing product but the right reviews from people you trust can help lead you there of course.

But I would definitely be wary if a vendor asked me to write a review for them. It would turn me off. The best reviews are indeed unsolicited genuine from the heart reviews. IMO.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rather than seeing yourself the victim it could be beneficial for you to objectively read some of the things you post.

Vendors who are active on this thread, or other social media, should be wary of how they present themselves. I know more that one vendor who has been sworn off by many PSers because of the rude and/or offensive remarks they make on public sites.

Good point about how a persons posts here and elsewhere online give insight into who they are. No one will be liked by everyone. But there are advantages of being honest about who we are . Both personally and for tradespeople posting here, professionally.
Niel - I appreciate your advice, but I'm no victim. I've been here for many years and had great experiences with countless PS members. The vitrol with which some argue against the points I raise is illustrative to some of us.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought from 3 vendors from Pricescope, 2 asked me to write reviews. I was surprised but not particularly upset as I was pleased with my rings.. but I don't think they should ask. One asked me to YELP and the other pointed me to some consumer place :whistle: on the web if I remember correctly... it was a pain to signup etc.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seldom ventured into this forum but the topic caught my eye and I am reading with interest. So apologies in advance for not knowing the history, posters or if my comments are inappropriate.

I don't think it would bother me if someone asked but I would never post a review that I didn't feel was honest.

I think reviews are important in growing a business so it's okay to ask. In fact, I think its important to ask if you are a smaller business and/or a business getting started or needs exposure in a new area of their business. Not so much with folks here at PS, but the general public is often more motivated to post a negative review than a positive so sometimes they need to be encouraged.

In reading the above thread, some insinuate that "ask" means "bribe"...I don't think that's a fair assumption or the question being asked. I assume we all agree that PAID reviews, in any form, would be considered off limits.

Regarding negative review -

I too think they are beneficial to post and wish that people felt free to post - every vendor has their strengths and things we can learn from. On other sites, I look at the negative reviews and if I see a pattern ask myself "is it failure to meet a reasonable expectation and if so, is it something that would bother me" and allows me to approach a purchase with eyes wide open. I recently posted on the CS forum that it would be helpful in working with a new vendor if I saw more of posts about the best way to work with a particular vendor, what to avoid, what to ask for, etc. To me, this would help prevent disappointments that are avoidable despite best attempts on both sides - a win-win.

The problem with posting criticism is that when people are used to seeing only glowing reviews, people read it as a "negative". Maybe if we saw more of the "good with the bad" it would be more acceptable....and to be honest give more credence to what we read.

The other thing is that I've learned the discerning gem world is a small one and very interconnected. My one horrible experience from a non-PS vendor at a major gem show when the vendor refused to own up to the transaction - even masking receipts and later claiming they couldn't comment as I had retained legal counsel (I had not). Although both the credit card vendor and show found in my favor, the gem show chose to help make me whole (even admitting having other issues with the vendor) and keep the vendor because "it's a small world and if we take action against any vendor, it has repercussions in the industry". They said I should report it to AGTA but the vendor scared me and I decided to let the nightmare end. And because its a small world (and to a large degree fear of the vendor), I decided not to make it public here. So in that spirit, I wouldn't post a negative review even when warranted - all I can do is promote the positive in hopes of steering business to trustworthy vendors.

Finally, I didn't realize that PS was a vendor sponsored forum until I was warned that you could be banned for posting anything critical or questioning a sponsor. I don't know if its true as it was just from chatting with another PSer. I never gave it much thought but it seems from the tone of the thread that there is a different expectation for sponsors versus non-sponsors in terms of reviews - but I may be reading too much into the posts or perhaps its in T&Cs for the site.

Fwiw- I do believe in supporting our sponsors because without them we wouldn't be here. And in the end, all this doesn't matter as I've learned that PS is like any forum/opinion - a source of information (and its a treasure trove here) but in the end, you need to filter and use your own judgement/opinion on what to do with it.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi lilmosun
I don't know who warned you that criticism of a sponso vendor was not allowed. It certainly IS alowed to criticize any vendor. Sponsor or not.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point about how a persons posts here and elsewhere online give insight into who they are. No one will be liked by everyone. But there are advantages of being honest about who we are . Both personally and for tradespeople posting here, professionally.
Niel - I appreciate your advice, but I'm no victim. I've been here for many years and had great experiences with countless PS members. The vitrol with which some argue against the points I raise is illustrative to some of us.
I remember a world where there wasn't advantages to being openly rude, sexist, or racist. But I guess that's not the world we live in now.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Niel I too remember that world- fondly.
If anything I ever wrote was sexist or racist I humbly apologize.
For sure heated discussions may bring out my sarcastic side. If that led to a rude response it was a bad move on my part- and I also apologize for it.
This new world does bring new challenges.
I'd like to stand up for civility wherever and whenever I can.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel I too remember that world- fondly.
If anything I ever wrote was sexist or racist I humbly apologize.
For sure heated discussions may bring out my sarcastic side. If that led to a rude response it was a bad move on my part- and I also apologize for it.
This new world does bring new challenges.
I'd like to stand up for civility wherever and whenever I can.
My post was meant to be representative of all the ps (or otherwise ) jewelers I've encountered over the years and the types of comments they make.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi lilmosun
I don't know who warned you that criticism of a sponso vendor was not allowed. It certainly IS alowed to criticize any vendor. Sponsor or not.

Someone who's posts I admired "disappeared" from PS and someone I asked thought they might have inadvertently offended a PS sponsor. Maybe not what happened but how I learned about PS was paid for by vendors. Glad to hear that isn't the policy.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Speaking as a battle scarred veteran ( I've been on time outs once or twice) if someone has been banned or placed on a time out, it was due to breaking a forum policy. None of which prohibits honest criticism of a vendor or any forum participant. Sometimes it gets heated and people exchange words. I've found that the mgmt is remarkably tolerant of open discussion done respectfully.
They have treated me well even when we weren't sponsoring the forum.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Someone who's posts I admired "disappeared" from PS and someone I asked thought they might have inadvertently offended a PS sponsor. Maybe not what happened but how I learned about PS was paid for by vendors. Glad to hear that isn't the policy.

Hi Lilmosun,

Posts are removed for a variety of reasons. It is possible that person violated our policies in another way, was in the trade and criticized another vendor which is not allowed, was quoting heavily another post that violated our policies, etc. But a consumer criticizing a vendor, even a sponsor of PS, is not something that would get a post removed. We want to encourage honesty in experiences on our site.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have additional questions.

Ella

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
@JerryEspenson - it can happen that a (former) user feels they have been banned for unfair reasons, when the real reason may be much more mundane (such as a trade person not disclosing they are in the trade, or someone creating multiple accounts). The Forum Policy is a useful read for someone wishing to remain on PS. I enjoy a contrarian perspective, so I hope you will be able to stick around!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes Garry, these posts this do feel eerily familiar.
Just for the record- most of the time when CCL was attacking me I was not a sponsor.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lilmosun,

Posts are removed for a variety of reasons. It is possible that person violated our policies in another way, was in the trade and criticized another vendor which is not allowed, was quoting heavily another post that violated our policies, etc. But a consumer criticizing a vendor, even a sponsor of PS, is not something that would get a post removed. We want to encourage honesty in experiences on our site.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have additional questions.

Ella

Thanks Ella - Having had to experience of moderating a forum, I know it isn't easy so appreciate the answer. Apologies for unintentionally stirring the pot...I think I will go back to my CS hideout :wavey:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I encourage vendors to write about their PITB customers!...:razz:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I encourage vendors to write about their PITB customers!...:razz:
Ok, here goes.
There's this guy. Really nice guy, but stubborn!!
Every time I tell him about 60/60 he insists on bringing up some pos diamond he bought his wife 50 years ago- which wasn't even close to a 60/60. But he won't listen.
Wait .....it's you DF!!!
:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results