• 1) Stop being wacky and enjoy the purse

Votes: 38 95.0%
  • 2) Return the purse and feel virtuous

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Okay, so, last weekend, my in-laws came to visit. Since the dollar is strong, they wanted to shop till they dropped, and, hey, who am I to get in the way of a good time? Needless to say, I got swept up in the camaraderie of it all, and made some purchases of my own.

So, anybody who's read recent shopping thread will know ... I am cheap. I am so cheap. I am like a little bird, going cheap, cheap, cheap. Generally, all of my shopping is either vintage, or, like, the sales rack at a Loehmann's/Filene's/T.J. Maxx. For that matter, this weekend's shopping was like that! But, see, one of my purchases was only 50% off, as opposed to what it usually is ... which means I dropped $250 on a danged purse. I can afford it and all, I just think I'm having a moment of buyer's remorse, or sticker shock, or something. So now, I'm wondering if I should return it: behold, my pro and con lists! Please weigh in.

Here, btw, is a link to the purse: it's a Rebecca Minkoff "Dear" tote in glazed wine-colored leather; http://www.endless.com/Rebecca-Minkoff-Dear-Tote-Glazed/dp/B003YL4E6S

Pros in favor of the purse:
1) All my other purses are ... beat. I was never a purse girl before, so almost all of my nice ones were gifts from my mom. And while they do last me 5 years or so, now my Tumi has a paint stain and a little burn mark, my Longchamp has a tear at the bottom along a seam, and my Via Spiga doctor's bag looks so "well-loved" that it's, like, the purse equivalent of a child's favorite binky.

2) I rarely fall for purses. Roughly once every two years or so do I spot a purse I like enough to buy. If I return this one, it's the beat purses for me, indefinitely.

3) I really like the color and the leather and the details! And it has a long strap, which is almost never the case (seriously, what is with all the dinky forearm purses? are women turning into Tyrannosaurus Rex, with short, stubby dinosaur arms all of a sudden?). It's light enough to carry every day, and big enough that I could conceivably use it as a work bag in a pinch.

Cons against the purse:
1) $250! I could buy bling with that!

2) $250! I could buy a Longchamp wallet with that (they last longer than my purses, but my poor old one is actually in worse shape than most of my purses, which is ... saying something).

3) $250! I could do some serious damage at a vintage shop with that! I mean, dude, I paid considerably less than that for my new desk.

Basically, all my pros are rational, and all my cons come down to ... cheapness. So, what say you, ladies - stop being wacky, and enjoy my purse, or return it, and feel virtuous?

ETA: Kept thinking about it after I posted, and I realized ... it's actually not the money. I'd pay that for a bag that was pricier retail, I think. It's the fact that it's only 50% off that makes me feel wasteful, or like I didn't get a sufficiently good deal, or something. Is that more, or less crazy, do you think?

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Your whole pro list makes me think it is worth $250, Circe.
If you consider how long you will keep this purse (apparently you keep your purses until they fall apart), the cost per wear will be teeny tiny. I say keep it and enjoy! :appl: :appl: :appl:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, 50% off for a Rebecca Minkoff bag is a FANTASTIC discount, so stop feeling wasteful about that! A 20% off coupon code was enough to get me to spring for my RM bag a few years ago. Her bags are great and the one you got is a gorgeous, versatile color in a classic shape-win-win! I have a burgundy MJ bag that goes with anything and I love it.

You best keep that purse!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Keep it!! It's beautiful, you love it, and you can afford it. Even us cheap-os need to splurge once in a while :rodent:

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Keep it! It's a gorgeous bag, and Thing is right: 50% off is great for RM bags. I think it looks fabulous and versatile, and I'm sure you'll get a ton of use out of it.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
think about what your wear to investment ratio is.if you are going to use the bag a lot,enjoy it, and keep it for several years through continual use then its a great investment for your wardrobe because its a basic.The money is actually not a lot for a high quality bag and if you don't buy many bags then keep it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that bag. Keep it. And when a woman looks put together, one assumes she is successful and knows what she is doing and getting paid well...which means, more people want to hire her and pay her more money to buy more bags. It's a good cycle. :wink2:

ETA, and just so you know I'm on your side here, I ONLY shop the CLEARANCE sections of the discount stores like Loehmanns and Marshalls. If it's not discounted heavily, I don't buy it. I just went over the weekend to Loehmann's in Orange County, CA, which is HUGE compared to my local one...and they didn't have a clearance rack! I asked! So I actually walked out.

But when something CALLS to you and makes you buy it, then it's a sign. There are very few things I really feel I WANT to have. Then I figure I deserve it for all the times I only bought $7 tops off the clearance racks.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Don't you dare take it back, if you don't want it you should send it to meeee, haha :devil: . But if I were you, there would be no prying that beauty off my arm! And as someone who loves pricey purses, I think you got a great deal on it.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Keep it. Ditto on looking at the cost per wear. If you use the purse everyday for a year, the cost per wear is $0.68. And if you wear it to death for 5 years, that's only $0.14 per wear. A steal.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can totally understand your hesitation, but like everyone else has said, I'd keep it. The bag will last and you got a great deal. If it's really calling your name and you can easily afford it, I think certain purchases are worth it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am also cheap cheap cheap and think that is a great deal. Yes, *only* 50% off, but it is a VERY versatile and useful purse! You will get a tonne of wear and use out of it. My vote: Keep it and do a happy dance about a great purchase.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Nother cheap-o here. I say keep it expecially if you are going to use it for 5 years!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love love love this bag. Keep it keep it keep it. $250 is really not a lot of money for a bag, it is something you wear every day.

A great bag makes every outfit more special, and this bag is special. You will enjoy using it every day. If you wear it every day for
a year, it's about .68 cents a day, and for two years, even better. Go for the one you love. It is easier to find great bling than a
great bag.

It will also be great for traveling. With the long strap you can easily wear it cross body if you need to.

I don't usually pay more than three hundred for a bag. I would pay that for this bag. It is fabulous!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
It has feet. Keep it. You already love it ... you're just not IN LOVE with the DEAL you got. Which you should be. So: chillax.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm cheap, I say return it and hit the vintage stores and get more for your money! It's only a purse! Bling lasts longer!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for keep it. It's gorgeous.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I am not into expensive purses, but I think 50% off is just fine as far as being a good deal goes!

Do you LOVE the purse? Were you really excited when you found it? If so, do keep it!!! If not...read my tag line at the bottom of my post.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if everytime you use it and think about what it cost and figure what else you could have done with it, well, it wasn't meant for you. a deal is a deal but i fear its not good enough a deal for you.

MoZo

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ooo, so many good points to consider! Like Tigian said, I DO keep my purses until they fall apart (and I treat them well: it's just that, you know, carry a purse for half a decade, it's going to show some wear). All of y'all who've pointed out that at that rate, it will amortize really fast make an excellent point ....

I also feel better seeing the comfort on the discount! I think my views have been skewed by all the vintage/discount shopping, where brands don't matter too much to me, and where you can get incredible bargains. That doesn't seem to be the case with leather goods, oddly - something that was driven home to me by a conversation with my mom tonight. In the course of in-law shopping, we went on a field trip to Woodbury Commons, which is a big discount mall in NYS. (Which, btw, is totally not worth it, in my opinion - all of the "special" bridge lines that companies like Brooks Brothers and Banana Republic sell there are hideous and low-quality.) I was eye-balling the Longchamp wallets until I saw that, even there, a wallet just like my old one would cost me $200 bucks. I was sort of outraged by the lack of savings until I asked mom how much my current one had cost her (yes, all my nice leather goods have come from my purse-loving mother), and she said, "Oh, I don't know, it's been, what, ten years? $300, maybe?"

Gulp. Factoring in inflation, then, perhaps I am unrealistically cheap concerning leather goods. Which makes me feel better about the whole "I could get X vintage shopping for that money!" factor ... at the end of the day, I have plenty of clothes, and I need a purse! TravelingGal makes a good point, too: the fact that my average skirt costs $20 or less should make me feel less guilty about the purse. I can spread the cost of that baby across my entire wardrobe. :twisted:

But the real kicker?

decodelighted said:
It has feet. Keep it.

Ha! This actually cracked me up. I thought I was the only freakshow for whom that tiny detail mattered! I adore things with feet, from bathtubs to purses ....

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am totally cheap too, but your pro reason #2 is the main reason I think you should keep it.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Keep it!

Also to add a pro to help offset the con - RM's stuff is really well made and will last. Spread the cost over several years - makes it more manageable :)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I really like it. I vote 'keep'!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Another "keep it" vote here! It looks like beautiful-quality leather & you just don't FIND that for $250; all by itself that's a big bargain. Plus you love it, it's versatile & will last for ages. I am a cheapo too, consider it a defeat if I buy something at full price (except a stone I can't do without!), but I'd consider this a win. Go for it.

--- Laurie

Lula

Ideal_Rock
You got a great deal, and I am a serious bargain shopper when it comes to purses. Congrats and enjoy it -- it's gorgeous!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Keep the purse. Yes, there are of course other things you could do with the money but, based on your initial post, it sounds like you are in need of a new purse. You found an awesome one and I think you should keep it and enjoy it.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you should keep. It is a beautiful, well made, versatile purse that will last for years and will get a lot of wear. It is hard to find a purse you love, so this won't be solved by a quick shopping trip if you do return it.

However, there is one caveat: will you be able to let go of your mind issues? If every time you wear the purse, you think you over paid for it or that it just wasn't a good deal, then you won't be able to enjoy it and should let it go.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results