shape
carat
color
clarity

Should an appraiser ask cost of a ring before carrying out an appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put a ring in to be appraised which was made in 1990. The jeweller asked me when it was made and how much I paid for it. Is this reasonable? I will get the appraisal back in two weeks. If they asked me I assume they could just put down the price I paid, I thought that it was their job to determine the price by grading the ring itself.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
There's a big difference of opinion in the appraisal world regarding this. Some maintain that all information possible regarding the piece should be gained in order to render an accurate opinion.

Others maintain that a good appraiser should determine all that information him or herself and render their opinion accordingly.

I understand both views, but tend to fall in the second camp. I don't even like to know beforehand what a person paid for the piece. I don't want it to subconsciously sway my opinion.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Richard Sherwood. I would have preferred the second opinion also. At least I know it is not unheard of so I will just wait and see as this jeweller is local to me and has been established for over 150 years in our city.

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
An independent appraiser
Should have an unbiased view

My guess is - the less he told
The better it is for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results