shape
carat
color
clarity

Should a G show any color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
When I was looking at the Beaudry ring that I have been thinking about. I thought I may have seen a yellowish look to it. It may have been the lighting in the place but I just wanted to hear some opinions. Its a Gia certified G. Thanks

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people can see it - I can. There''s a reason it''s a G, not a D, although it is near-colorless. The bigger question is "does it bother you"?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

The one occasion when G did show a bit of something to me, I was looking at two 4 carat-ish pears, D and G. The color of the G was definitely not strong enough for me to discern color (=not yellowish, perhaps tinted is a better word). Had the stone not been side by side and loose... you could fool me any day.
7.gif

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True - it shouldn''t. But there are a lot of variables - Size of the stone, what color was your shirt? The walls? The lighting?, etc.

My G is a non-ideal cut RB, and I can see color in it. No question. Especially next to my D. BUT - a lot of that depends on lighting conditions. Alone it looks very white, but I (unfortunately) am one of those "color sensitive" poeple...

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Some people (like ecf) can see color in face-up mounted diamonds easily. Others can''t tell the difference between a D and a J.

As a GIA G, the stone in question will have one of the most colorless G''s out there, as GIA grades more conservatively than others. Again, the question is, if you can see it, does it bother you and your gf/fiancee/wife? Also, if the stone is large it will show body color more than smaller stones. My 0.38ct G pear will not "show" as much color as a 3.0ct G pear. And if that wasn''t enough, the shape and cut of the diamond will also determine how much of the color you see. Fancy shapes don''t hide color as well as RBs, OECs and OMCs are famous for hiding their color, and ideal-cut rounds will hide color better than less-than-ideal cuts. Plus, the lighting conditions, what you''re wearing, the color of the walls, etc can also cast a tint on an otherwise colorless stone. Try to look at it in natural lighting and take note of what colors are around you. My diamond will throw off green, yellow, or red sparkles depending on what color the traffic lights are at night!! HTH, and welcome to PS!!

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
It''s a 1.5 ct Oval Brilliant. I think it could have been the lighting but Ill have to take another look at it. Thanks for all of your input and the welcoming. Alot of knowledge here!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/23/2005 9:07:48 AM
Author: ecf8503

.. a lot of that depends on lighting conditions. Alone it looks very white, but I (unfortunately) am one of those ''color sensitive'' poeple...
Well, I know I am not. I had a chance to see diamond color grading done (on smaller stones than that though) and could only admire the mysterious skill of seeing the invisible.

Things start getting clear for me at I-J (thinking 1 ct at least). Nothing bad with those, but the reason those diamonds were not called ''colorless'' is understandable.

Otherwise, well, of course there is a reason why E and F and G are not D - it has something to do with specially trained folk looking at diamonds under conditions designed to show those slight shades, which include particular lighting, background and reference stones. And looking at diamonds bottom-up. All this adds up to a reason, but... it isn''t a very obvious reason.

The largest diamonds I had the luck to meet were in old jewelry and not graded. The two pears mentioned previously ended up as a pair of earrings. The owner considered them well matched enough. ''Guess they were.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/23/2005 9:29:51 AM
Author: Mike Camp
It''s a 1.5 ct Oval Brilliant. I think it could have been the lighting but Ill have to take another look at it. Thanks for all of your input and the welcoming. Alot of knowledge here!

That explains part of it: 1.5 ct (larger stone) Oval (fancy cut), possibly the lighting! Let us know how it looks the second time!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results