shape
carat
color
clarity

Should a brand new Platinum ring be soldered?

ldhxvs

Rough_Rock
I ordered two brand new plain wedding rings to our perfect size in Platinum, after receiving them and taking a closer look at them at home, I noticed that they had solder lines on them. I've googled around a lot but couldn't find any information on brand new made to size rings being already soldered. What I would like to know is, should my brand new ring be soldered in the first place? I would like to know a little more information about how platinum rings are made before I storm back into the jewelers and ask what they think they are playing at. I've watched a youtube video on how they make platinum and rings and from that video it doesn't show platinum rings being soldered at all. Any and all help greatly appreciated, thanks Lee.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Ive never seen sizing lines on any ring direct from the manufacture.Some where along the line, either by the manufacture or the retail store, they have been sized to fit.go to a jeweler and look at their platinum rings in stock and compare.Also even if the rings were re-sized there should not be a sizing line visible if the work was done correctly. My bet is that the manufacture was out of stock in your size and the retailer had rings from stock sent out to a repair shop that was inexperienced in sizing platinum.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I would return them. They have been sized and poorly done.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also return them and shop elsewhere. These rings apparently were sized instead of ordered in the correct sizes.

villedajerri

Rough_Rock
And if the Jeweler did a quick and nasty sizing repair on your Rings, then that can make them weak as well. If they use too little solder, or file and polish too much of your Ring away, it will cause that sizing joint to become vulnerable. If you can see that mark, then your Rings are probably weak and may break easily.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results