shape
carat
color
clarity

Shorter and colder days make me feel sad

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone else feel like this as the days get shorter and winter comes upon us?

I know this only applies to some of us as others here are lucky that spring is in full force with summer coming and others live in warmer climates. But does anyone feel this way too? Each day is a bit of a struggle for me emotionally as the colder days and the shorter days and less daylight in general make me a bit melancholy. We cannot cycle in the cold weather and that is the one activity that really brings me joy and gets me out of my head for a bit.

cyclingsnow.jpg

But what I do is substitute that for walking by the sea, walking in the city, hiking in the woods and just trying to get out each day if possible. And also getting some sun if the sun is out which this time of year it often is not. I also shop more and that is good for the economy but not so much for my pocketbook lol.

I also like to load up on carbs and watch sad movies by the fire snuggled up with my dh and kitties. That helps. But still I long for longer sunny warmer days.

calvinandhobbessnapoutofit.gif

There are some people like my mom who prefer the shorter days. She says it gives her permission to relax more and get into bed earlier. We are so different that way. I don't need an excuse to get into bed early. If I am tired and I can I do. LOL no excuse needed by me.

What do you do to get out of the doldrums when you are feeling this way?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my kids were young I liked the shorter days because then they were home earlier. We could have an early dinner and a long night together.
Retail therapy works for me getting out of the doldrums these day. :D

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just hate coming home from work after dark. Which is now at 4:30-5:00 pm.
It feels like the whole day is gone, and I spent it all at work.

Another reason is that I just can't see good at night anymore to drive. All the headlights look like blurry stars to me. I told my eye doctor about it, but he seemed unconcerned.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just hate coming home from work after dark. Which is now at 4:30-5:00 pm.
It feels like the whole day is gone, and I spent it all at work.

Another reason is that I just can't see good at night anymore to drive. All the headlights look like blurry stars to me. I told my eye doctor about it, but he seemed unconcerned.

That is not right @stracci2000 ! Your eye doctor is the exact correct person to tell. I am sorry he/she couldn't offer any solutions. There are special eyeglass lens coating that help with the reflections from the headlights. I am not in the field anymore so not up on the latest but please look into that and ask your eye doctor about it. Perhaps a new eye doctor should be considered if he/she cannot help.

And double ditto re the whole day feeling over at 4 PM. The short days are so short and we have what? Another 5 or so weeks of the days getting shorter. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my kids were young I liked the shorter days because then they were home earlier. We could have an early dinner and a long night together.
Retail therapy works for me getting out of the doldrums these day. :D

It sure does LOL. Retail therapy is helpful for us and the economy. Just not for our pocketbooks. :/

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Me too - I always feel a bit flat in winter. We’re generally lucky here and don’t get the awful cold that some of you US PSers get, but the winters in the UK are generally just really grey, damp, dull and drizzly, so quite depressing.

I seize on the occasional cold, crisp sunny days for long dog walks to get some vitamin D in and really feel my brain fizzing whenever we get some great sunlight and blue skies.

I do find it easier with children - the lead up to Christmas is busy and full of festive activities, so the clock change doesn’t hit as hard. And by the time we’ve got to Christmas, at least the shortest day is over and things are on the up, even in there’s still another couple of months of the coldest weather to go.

I did try a light therapy lamp years ago but found the hours and length of use restrictive when I was working. I had planned to put my makeup on whilst using it but the blue light made that tricky! I’m not sure if they’ve improved in recent years - if anyone has tried one they’d recommend, I’d be interested yo hear!

The EU are planning to abolish daylight saving and I’m not sure I’d like that. The thought of it either being dark for much longer in winter mornings or of missing out on having daylight until nearly 10pm on the longest summer evenings both make me sad! Maybe I’ve just found a Brexit positive at least.

Last edited:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always, it's why we have so many holidays in winter, it gets us through! We keep our house LIT through winter. The lights, candles, the tree, all of it. We keep it up through February just because it feels nice :)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too @missy. Seasonal Affective Disorder. I love the longer day light of summer! :cool2:

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My sister and I both deal with SAD, her worse than I. I think most of us already know the suggestions about getting as much light and Vitamin D as possible. My husband and I have also tried to plan vacations to warm weather places in winter. It somehow seems to make the winter a bit shorter having even just one week away from the cold.

Q

Queenie60

I go with the flow. More household chores due to the short days. My home is more organized!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

In general we have bright sunny winter days, despite the cold--the low cloud for prolonged times would do me in. I hate cold and snow, but this is our climate. We always talk about where we'd move to but cannot agree.

I am a summer person, that is that!

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too @missy. Seasonal Affective Disorder. I love the longer day light of summer! :cool2:

I bought one of those SAD lights a few years ago but now I don't think I even tried it...I do that too often. Buy stuff thinking it's a good idea and then I never use it. Back in NYC now so will have to wait til I return but when I do I am going to try it and see if it helps and will share with all of you here.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

In general we have bright sunny winter days, despite the cold--the low cloud for prolonged times would do me in. I hate cold and snow, but this is our climate. We always talk about where we'd move to but cannot agree.

I am a summer person, that is that!

cheers--Sharon

Yes, me too Sharon! But I wasn't always a summer person. As I get older I tolerate the cold less well. However I always preferred the longer days of summer but did enjoy winter as well. I used to love cross country skiing and snowsledding etc. Now the cold is just too much for me. But I do appreciate the beauty of each season. Just prefer living in more mild temps so I can enjoy being outside as much as possible.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go with the flow. More household chores due to the short days. My home is more organized!

Smart lady. Making the best of each season. :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister and I both deal with SAD, her worse than I. I think most of us already know the suggestions about getting as much light and Vitamin D as possible. My husband and I have also tried to plan vacations to warm weather places in winter. It somehow seems to make the winter a bit shorter having even just one week away from the cold.

It's smart to break up winter that way. It really does help make it go easier.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always, it's why we have so many holidays in winter, it gets us through! We keep our house LIT through winter. The lights, candles, the tree, all of it. We keep it up through February just because it feels nice :)

That sounds very cozy! And nice.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too - I always feel a bit flat in winter. We’re generally lucky here and don’t get the awful cold that some of you US PSers get, but the winters in the UK are generally just really grey, damp, dull and drizzly, so quite depressing.

I seize on the occasional cold, crisp sunny days for long dog walks to get some vitamin D in and really feel my brain fizzing whenever we get some great sunlight and blue skies.

I do find it easier with children - the lead up to Christmas is busy and full of festive activities, so the clock change doesn’t hit as hard. And by the time we’ve got to Christmas, at least the shortest day is over and things are on the up, even in there’s still another couple of months of the coldest weather to go.

I did try a light therapy lamp years ago but found the hours and length of use restrictive when I was working. I had planned to put my makeup on whilst using it but the blue light made that tricky! I’m not sure if they’ve improved in recent years - if anyone has tried one they’d recommend, I’d be interested yo hear!

The EU are planning to abolish daylight saving and I’m not sure I’d like that. The thought of it either being dark for much longer in winter mornings or of missing out on having daylight until nearly 10pm on the longest summer evenings both make me sad! Maybe I’ve just found a Brexit positive at least.

If we had to abolish one I would prefer abolishing standard time and keeping Daylight Savings time so it is lighter in the evenings. It is always dark in the AM for me as I wake up super early and would prefer it stay lighter later vs lighter earlier.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the light therapy. I was going to try it but now not sure. If it is a big time commitment I am not interested.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm all for abolishing daylight savings time. I got SAD so bad when we lived on the west coast. I even bought the fancy expensive light and did therapy with it for years. It definitely helped too. I don't get SAD in the east time zone. Also, I keep in mind that the days actually start getting longer again right around Christmas, so not so bad. I also find that winters here, when there's snow, are much brighter outside on clear days, so that also helps. Getting outside helps too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm all for abolishing daylight savings time. I got SAD so bad when we lived on the west coast. I even bought the fancy expensive light and did therapy with it for years. It definitely helped too. I don't get SAD in the east time zone. Also, I keep in mind that the days actually start getting longer again right around Christmas, so not so bad. I also find that winters here, when there's snow, are much brighter outside on clear days, so that also helps. Getting outside helps too.

Lyra, can you explain why you got SAD when you lived on the West Coast and not in the Eastern time zone? I agree by the end of December it's all easier to bear as the days are getting longer. Woohoo for that. Only 6 weeks to go...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, it was the constant drizzle that would go on without end for weeks and months. Rarely a clear sky. Here in the east we get mostly clear skies with occasional storms.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CC0A4CE6-AF6A-46B3-9D5B-6EFFD6F8B9EC.jpeg

I freaking hate the cold! I love Christmas, I love sledding (occasionally), and I love curling up in front of the fireplace with my DH. I hate everything else about winter. It’s cold and I’m totally miserable. My DH jokes that I spend all my free time in my PJs and under a blanket...and he’s so right. I don’t enjoy this weather and I am pretty darn vocal about it. :boohoo:

I try to take vitamin D because I’ve heard it helps. I also start planning our next vacation because it gives me something to look forward to (already planning our next Disney trip). :D On the downside, I definitely spend more money over the winter because I’m cold and bored and feeling down.

ETA: I get cold very easily. I’m one of those people that has “summer sweaters” so you can only imagine how cold I feel right now.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t do particularly well during the winter. Harder to wake up in the morning, and I end up getting into bed as soon as I get home since it’s already dark by 5:30pm. December to March is a struggle every year.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
when spring comes i always feel a little sad that summer has ended for someone else

winter ...that first sleep in after day light saving ends is bliss but come monday its horrible coming home from work in the dark

i used to really love Autumn the best but my dad died in the Autumn so all the things i used to love now remind me of that

we enjoy a temperate climate here
i like 4 distinct seasons
you need the hot and the cold to get a pretty Autumn

i actually think there is more than 4 seasons
ive worked outside for at least half my working life and ive also mostly walked to work, sometimes i just feel a shift in the air - its not Autumn yet - its something in between

the other day i was working out in my mind what month it would be for us in NJ (if that makes sence)
By ANZAC day (25th April) most of the leaves are on the ground and its dark and the wind is cold

down home it used to be till the end of August before i would feel the sun's warmth on my back again and that would be so excitting

i have the upmost respect for those of you who live in continental climates
i have no real understanding of how cold it gets and im not a fan of winter clothes, i don't know how you good people do it
a tiny bit of snow here and the roads are undrivable and the police tell us to stay home
a white Christmas would be the last thing ever on my wish list but i know understand its such a joy to break up winter with
we just have a long cold slog from Queen's birthday in June till Labour day in October

i really love those clear cool days in the winter when the sky is blue and the sun is out and the grass is frosty but getting older it makes my joints ache now
i love the fluffy sheets
and the roast dinners and soups
im really good at soup
i love yams - South American orca (NZ yam) they are only in the shops in winter
i love the hot shower after ive got home from a cold walk in bad weather
its worth getting cold for

btw today is cold, windy and rainy
so winter must be giving at least some of you up there a break today =)2
i don't think ive touched snow for about 8 years
ive seen it on the mountain off in the distance, but not actually been in it
when we were still living in Wellington they had the first snow in 20 years
we had gone to get a gas bottle for the heater and i had to convice Gary to take the Jeep not the car because i knew the car wouldn't get back up the hill without chains and unless your a skiier no one has chains up here
the snow was coming down so fast the windscreen wipers couldn't keep up
we got to the petrol station to find its gas dept was being refurbished so we had to turn around and drive to Tawa
it was very beautiful
he dropped me at our Chinese takeaways
i had a short sleeved cotton shirt on, shorts and no shoes
for the first time in years complete strangers were talking to each other and making snowmen
a lot of people asked if i needed a ride home while i waited for Gary to come back with the gas bottle and sure enough he was really surprise how slippery it was getting up the hill home
we had left Tinky at home under the bed (his favourite place in winter when the heater wasn't on)
when we got home he didnt know about snow
he was sooooo uninpresseed when he went out for a wee

at that time we had a particulary horrible manager at my work
i could walk to work but i had a young work mate who had only just got her licence and she lived down a steep drive way on a very big hill that got lots of snow
the horrible manager was well, horrible to her because she was late but he was English and had no concept that maybe we didn't know how to drive in the snow

something good about winter
no flies or. mozzies
i miss having screen doors and windows
we have one of those battery operated things that pumps out fly killer
its so disgusting sweeping up the dead flies
i really hate flies

winter is really good for killing off all the flies
so please enjoy no flies today

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely this happens to me, too. I use a SAD lamp every morning. It’s very relaxing. I just sit and have my coffee and read with it. Highly recommend.

If you want to look into this, the best company I’ve found for lights is Alaska Northern Lights. Al their lights are 10,000 lux at 24 inches, which is the really important measurement. You can get cheaper ones but you would have to be really close to get the same amount of exposure.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
We don't have seasons in my Florida. I prefer seasons. It's still in the 80's. The heat is oppressive year round. I like the weather the most late November through February. It's lovely them. The rest of the year...not so much.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I view the changing seasons like the price of gas; there just isn't much I can do about it. All seasons offer ups and downs for me. A plus for the winter is I can see stars more frequently and the winter skies have the most bright stars. I like no bugs too.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally prefer the cooler days as I don't like the heat.

When it is hot and sunny, I would prefer to stay indoors with the curtains drawn and air con on.

Food wise I prefer the colder months for the variety of stews, casseroles, soups, etc. that I could make and freeze for later, as there is only so much salad I could make for one person.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don't have seasons in my Florida. I prefer seasons. It's still in the 80's. The heat is oppressive year round. I like the weather the most late November through February. It's lovely them. The rest of the year...not so much.

but you have alligators and a few crocodils and a whole host of wounderful wildlife so that makes up for it !!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CC0A4CE6-AF6A-46B3-9D5B-6EFFD6F8B9EC.jpeg

I freaking hate the cold! I love Christmas, I love sledding (occasionally), and I love curling up in front of the fireplace with my DH. I hate everything else about winter. It’s cold and I’m totally miserable. My DH jokes that I spend all my free time in my PJs and under a blanket...and he’s so right. I don’t enjoy this weather and I am pretty darn vocal about it. :boohoo:

I try to take vitamin D because I’ve heard it helps. I also start planning our next vacation because it gives me something to look forward to (already planning our next Disney trip). :D On the downside, I definitely spend more money over the winter because I’m cold and bored and feeling down.

ETA: I get cold very easily. I’m one of those people that has “summer sweaters” so you can only imagine how cold I feel right now.

I feel your pain @elle_71125! The cold hurts me. Physically hurts me. That is why I am once again actively seeking out warm outerwear options and putting some concerns aside that normally I would not ignore. But I need to be warm this winter. I cannot survive being outside if my fingers and toes and other areas start ulcerating which yes is a problem for me once the temps get under 50 degrees and sometimes above. Crazy but true. Not a fan of the cold but a fan of holiday cheer and holiday music and holiday joy.

I said to my dh the other day I sort of get why people become snowbirds and escape to Fla for the winter season. Like you though I wouldn't be able to tolerate or enjoy the oppressive heat Fla has the rest of the year. But sometimes NYC can be just as oppressive heat wise.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, it was the constant drizzle that would go on without end for weeks and months. Rarely a clear sky. Here in the east we get mostly clear skies with occasional storms.

I get that @lyra and agree completely. I definitely don't do well emotionally when it is constantly grey and overcast and drizzly. That is one reason I couldn't go to the pacific Northwest. I love it there and love the quality of life re the people and the feeling there of just good people and beautiful scenery etc. But I could not deal with the constant lack of sunshine. I need the sun to feel happy and at peace. I am A OK with occasional storms/rain/snow but need the sun to come out as often as possible. And when the days go on and on with no sunshine I feel very down and sad.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results