shape
carat
color
clarity

Shorter and colder days make me feel sad

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally prefer the cooler days as I don't like the heat.

When it is hot and sunny, I would prefer to stay indoors with the curtains drawn and air con on.

Food wise I prefer the colder months for the variety of stews, casseroles, soups, etc. that I could make and freeze for later, as there is only so much salad I could make for one person.

DK :))

Oh I love winter comfort food. I sure do. Thick soups that are meals yummmm. And carbs. I love eating carbs. Winter and the cold give me a good excuse but truth be told I really don't need an excuse to eat carbs. Haha. But I hear you and agree. One nice feature about the colder weather is the comfort food we can enjoy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely this happens to me, too. I use a SAD lamp every morning. It’s very relaxing. I just sit and have my coffee and read with it. Highly recommend.

If you want to look into this, the best company I’ve found for lights is Alaska Northern Lights. Al their lights are 10,000 lux at 24 inches, which is the really important measurement. You can get cheaper ones but you would have to be really close to get the same amount of exposure.

Thanks for the rec @Tonks ! Will check it out. I wish I knew the light I had bought that is back in NYC. I cannot buy another til I find out what I already have. Will bookmark your recommendation, thanks so much. Glad it helps you!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs @missy! November is dreary, especially since my dad passed away in November... Take good care of yourself and indulge in all the wonderful Hanukkah and christmas traditions as early as possible . The Nordic countries have so many cosy pre Christmas traditions, because the short days would be unbearable otherwise. In addition to the already mentioned walks, light therapy, hot baths, we like to invite friends over for cookie baking and /or hot chocolate (mulled wine) , advent wreath decorating, and a St. Martin's walk with lanterns (today) . I decorate with real fir and mistletoe and candles. Helps me feel less sad and more festive. Now I just have to get my energy levels back up...

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cold weather and the short days make me feel like cocooning, getting books and watching out the window. In Texas there isn't any of that. the Ying and Yang living in the NE vs the mid SW :) I think of you as an outdoor girl so I can see why it is a downer. Wishing you so much happiness, joy and love girl, what you give to others. xo

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I view the changing seasons like the price of gas; there just isn't much I can do about it. All seasons offer ups and downs for me. A plus for the winter is I can see stars more frequently and the winter skies have the most bright stars. I like no bugs too.

I am working on appreciating the winter for what it is.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cold weather and the short days make me feel like cocooning, getting books and watching out the window. In Texas there isn't any of that. the Ying and Yang living in the NE vs the mid SW :) I think of you as an outdoor girl so I can see why it is a downer. Wishing you so much happiness, joy and love girl, what you give to others. xo

I still get SAD even in Texas... :wall:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m on week 5 after my knee replacement at home and three weeks more to go. The gloomy weather is killing my mental state. Babysitting the little one today at her house.

Attachments

• B3E8EE09-7C60-4DAA-94AC-CE35886C5F6B.jpeg
    B3E8EE09-7C60-4DAA-94AC-CE35886C5F6B.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 24

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m on week 5 after my knee replacement at home and three weeks more to go. The gloomy weather is killing my mental state. Babysitting the little one today at her house.

Sorry about your knee replacement. It’s nice to see you posting again though! We sure are having weird weather aren’t we? Too cold way too early! Healing dust @AprilBaby :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope watching the little one lifts your spirits @AprilBaby. I think many of us in the Chicagoland area can agree we are having some weird weather. Hopefully since our winter started so early this year, spring will also be early. A girl can hope!

How have you been feeling @Bonfire?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just hate coming home from work after dark. Which is now at 4:30-5:00 pm.
It feels like the whole day is gone, and I spent it all at work.

Another reason is that I just can't see good at night anymore to drive. All the headlights look like blurry stars to me. I told my eye doctor about it, but he seemed unconcerned.

@stracci2000 I can’t see well at night either. I was told a long time ago it was because my eyes are such a light blue. I have no idea if that is true or not..My father had the same problem. I especially have trouble when it’s dark and raining. A few years ago I needed glasses for driving. I told the technician that I can’t see at night..She suggested anti-glare lenses..It makes all the difference. It really reduces the glare...I still don’t like to drive at night but it’s not as bad as it was. I still can’t drive on the highway at night though...I’m just not comfortable. You may just need driving glasses now..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aww glad you are babysitting your sweet granddaughter today and hope that is lifting your mood @AprilBaby and sending continued knee healing dust your way.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about your knee replacement. It’s nice to see you posting again though! We sure are having weird weather aren’t we? Too cold way too early! Healing dust @AprilBaby :wavey:

Oh my gosh, same here @Bonfire . We are supposed to get frigid temps tomorrow into Wednesday here and some snow. Arghhhh. Too early for snow IMO. No thanks and please go away dear Snow. Maybe @marcy would like some more? :lol:

WINTERGOAWAY.gif

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've dropped 20 degrees since this morning and is actually supposed to freeze tonight (25!!!). :hand:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had a great day with baby boo. Tomorrow I will be 6 weeks out from the knee and I’m totally free of pain and meds. Last few days I actually felt pretty normal. Shocking. 6 years ago the other knee was pure hell for 12 weeks and redone at one year. Each one is diffferent! We are expecting9 degrees overnight but the snow just stopped.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our house has a south-west facing back. That's all the main living areas and my bedroom. It's crazy bright all the time. I think that must help. When I look out my bedroom window, all I can see is sky, even when it's snowing like today. It's because our backyard slopes up and then there are no neighbours behind us because we back onto a railway, then light shopping area, neither of which can be seen at all from the house. When I think about it, all the houses we've had have been very bright. I think it helps a lot.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to get full on depressed during the fall and winter due to the very short daylight periods. Moving to a very peaceful area with wildlife and diet changes have really helped. I actually look forward to how peaceful it is here in the winter and start feeding the birds in December. During the winter I check for animal prints in the snow to see what has visited when I was sleeping. We can get hundreds of little bird visitors during the day and watching the woodpeckers is always a treat.

With that said I am still affected by the change of season. I find myself buying more things than I usually do and becoming much more interested in my gems, pearls and jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results