shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping...online vs in store

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
I have been researching an engagement for my wife to be!
3 questions:
1. Buy online vs shopping in a local store?
2. What are the pit falls and advantages,etc?
3. Suggestions/names of national stores, online stores, even ebay?
Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 11:54:29 AM
Author:findarock

personal decision.
i have and will continue to purchase online until local stores start carrying quality diamonds at decent prices.

online you need to know exactly what you are getting and be sure you are working with a reputable vendor. the advantages are, the best vendors carry top of the line diamonds at amazing prices. there is a huge selection.
local stores have the advantage of being convenient. they don''t usually have top quality diamonds and the prices are overly inflated.

Thanks!
jared''s is a national retailer that carries ags0 graded diamonds.
you can do a search by ''cut quality'' above using the ''pricescope your diamond'' feature at the top of this page to find some reputable online vendors.

ebay...NO WAY! do not do it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

There is a lot of info if you use the search tool about buying online versus locally, here is a thread to get you started.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/online-or-in-store.8808/

There is a lot of reading to do so you can make an informed decision before you purchase, but above all make cut your top priority to ensure being able to buy a beautiful diamond. Look on the vendors page at the top right of the page and you will see a list of great online vendors

Whiteflash
Good Old Gold
Wink Jones
James Allen
Bill Pearlman
Engagement Rings Direct

Many here have purchased from these guys with great results. Some here have had bad results with buying from Ebay, there are some reputable vendors there but you need to be very careful. You will have a project ahead of you finding your diamond, but if you stick around here you will get all the help you could wish for! Good luck!

avlis

Shiny_Rock
one thng is that the price online is the price you pay (plus shipping), as oppossed to a local store where once you get a piece you like you have to add 8%(depending on where you live) on the cost for sales tax. if the online vendor has no physical presence in your state, then there is no sales tax. now i havent actually bought my diamond yet (still lurking/looking)but this is the case for every other online purchase of taxable goods i have made, and i dont see why a diamond would be any different.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
Buying online can be a much more honest experience than visiting a "MAUL" Jeweler. I have found the most dishonest Jewelers are usually located within your local mall. Zales especially is one that I would avoid. They are just evil in my opinion..lol.
Buying online from a reputable diamond dealer represented at this site is a much safer and satisfying proposal for your wallet as well as your mind. I really think of many of the B&M dealers are car dealerships...there are high pressure ones, ones that out right lie, and those that are pretty honest..but remember they all have to pay retail rents therefore online warehouses can offer a better product at a better price and they depend on what their online reputation is. It is much safer and more satisfying.

Ebay is not a good place to buy diamonds... there are reasons they are not selling them another way. There are no laws that control how diamonds can be described, rated or sold. Keep that in mind when looking.

GIA certificates are the safest way to go in my opinion. When you look at the B&M stores..notice how many diamonds do not include a GIA cert. They include IGI or some other company that grades stones better than they actually are only to use them as marketing tools, and to take advantage of customers.

26.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Just because sales tax is not charged does not mean that you should not pay it. It''s up to the customer to declare the sale and pay the required sales tax.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Depending on where you live, you could try to do both.

See notes below my signature.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2006 12:14:53 PM
Author: mtrb

GIA certificates are the safest way to go in my opinion. When you look at the B&M stores..notice how many diamonds do not include a GIA cert. They include IGI or some other company that grades stones better than they actually are only to use them as marketing tools, and to take advantage of customers.

26.gif
I second this. A GIA stone at Kay''s can easily be compared for color, clarity and price with a GIA stone at Jared''s or online. And you do want to go out and look at all kinds of stones at the B&M stores. Kay''s may have a fabulous deal on a G/Si1 and then you ask for the GIA and find it doesn''t have one so they don''t REALLY have a fab deal on a G/Si1 it could be an I and priced fairly for an I. But you won''t really know.

You just can''t take a jeweler''s word for it that a stone is a certain color or clarity. After all the color and clarity set the price and you don''t want to overpay! So insist on GIA and compare it to alot of other stones.

Cut of course is most important and others here on PS can help you if you post the stats on the stones you''re thinking of.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 1:57:18 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Date: 11/3/2006 12:14:53 PM

26.gif
I second this. A GIA stone at Kay's can easily be compared for color, clarity and price with a GIA stone at Jared's or online. And you do want to go out and look at all kinds of stones at the B&M stores. Kay's may have a fabulous deal on a G/Si1 and then you ask for the GIA and find it doesn't have one so they don't REALLY have a fab deal on a G/Si1 it could be an I and priced fairly for an I. But you won't really know.

You just can't take a jeweler's word for it that a stone is a certain color or clarity. After all the color and clarity set the price and you don't want to overpay! So insist on GIA and compare it to alot of other stones.

Cut of course is most important and others here on PS can help you if you post the stats on the stones you're thinking of.
Some sensitive types choke on the idea that any certificate will leave you safe. But the majority of tougher readers will feel only a cert from AGS approaches this.

Since cut, it's agreed, is important, and you might figure what initially does or does not look kind of nice might not represent the most rigorous of tests...GIA excellent is too big. And (if) it's based on data that's rounded, you'd prefer to not have to bet the farm on the "good enough" nature of that info, for proportions (given the circumstance that you even want to boycott GIA cut classification, and DIY from their presentation of proportions).

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 12:15:18 PM
Author: jazmine
Just because sales tax is not charged does not mean that you should not pay it. It''s up to the customer to declare the sale and pay the required sales tax.

the sales tax is not charged because the state where the seller is located does not require the seller to charge you sales tax. in fact, that state cannot require it from you, because you are not one of its residents.

but the state that you live in and use the item in can tax you on the use of the item--hence a "use" tax. but enforcement is rare for (non-business) consumer purposes, because the laws have not caught up to technology.

should you figure out how to pay your use taxes to your state''s taxing authority and do it at the end of every month or year or whatever your state requires for all of the on-line purchases you made that year? maybe, if you want to be a good citizen and support your state. but the book-keeping, research, etc is a burden that most people won''t bother to deal with, even if they know about the use tax.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 2:28:14 PM
Author: nejarb

Date: 11/3/2006 12:15:18 PM
Author: jazmine

----------------
the sales tax is not charged because the state where the seller is located does not require the seller to charge you sales tax. in fact, that state cannot require it from you, because you are not one of its residents.

but the state that you live in and use the item in can tax you on the use of the item--hence a ''use'' tax. but enforcement is rare for (non-business) consumer purposes, because the laws have not caught up to technology.

should you figure out how to pay your use taxes to your state''s taxing authority and do it at the end of every month or year or whatever your state requires for all of the on-line purchases you made that year? maybe, if you want to be a good citizen and support your state. but the book-keeping, research, etc is a burden that most people won''t bother to deal with, even if they know about the use tax.

This seems to me the most cogent and reasonably stated text on this subject I''ve seen here, and even likely true. But, it would be nice to hear confirming (and knowledgeable) thought on this.

aw45

Rough_Rock
I have been researching an engagement for my wife to be!
3 questions:
Thanks!
Same here. I have been researching for the past few weeks.
I went to 6 different local stores and looked at ~ 10 different stones with the spec I gave them. I gave them specific spec with pretty narrow range in terms of the 4C so that I can do my comparsion easier.

Bottome line.

1. Online.
2. For online, you need to know exactly what you are looking for. advantages would definitely be better price and quality.
3. I just got mine from BN. May not have as much info as other online stores like whiteflash but the selection is a bit more and the price is relatively the same.

Now I am comparing mine with the local stores stones (side by side) and so far I think I got a very high quality stone with a very fair price no one can beat yet. I found out local stores are generally ~ 10% (min) more expensive. I strongly recommend you to go to a few local stores just to get a feel of what you would expect from different specs. Also, make sure you sure HCA which I personally think is a very good reference. hope this helps.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so Much!
I assume when you say, B&M you are talking about "brick and Mortar"? I will review the different links.

What if an Ebay site touts the fact that there diamonds are GIA certified? Or is that something that can faked?

Also, AGS vs GIA? CIA:) what are the differences?

Thanks again!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t do ebay, please! We''ve heard toooo many nightmare stories on diamonds, other than small items.

What you want to look for is an ideal cut diamond. This can be achieved by getting a diamond with an AGS0 cert or GIA EXcellent within certain parameters. I am going to give you the link of the measurements to look for within the ideal cut range:

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/round.asp

Look under American Ideal Cut Class 1A.

I personally highly recommend Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash. They have carefully selected in-house stones that meet these standards. They are trustworthy and have excellent return policies. This takes so much of the work out of it really.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
I woudn't try ebay. Even if they sell GIA certed stones..you will find that they will be the same pricing or more than a reputable dealer. I would stay with a reputable online dealer, there really is no reason to use ebay at that point. Just compare some of your finds here to what a GIA certed stone goes for on Ebay. Then come back here for the service of the professionals.

Yes.. when I say B&M, I was talking about "Brick and Mortar". If you hang around long enough here.. you may get hooked into the lingo also..lol.

Finally...you bring up the age old argument... AGS VS. GIA.. well you will find both sides of the coin here. There are two arguments.

1) GIA invented the standards. They are the oldest, and most respected in the world. Just having a GIA certification actually will add value to your stone, and when you try to trade it in you will have dealers jumping for it..at least in my experience.
Many average people will also recognize GIA over AGS and therefore it is a better marketing tool as well as a great tool when deciding on a diamond to purchase.

2) The argument for AGS is that a GIA "Excellent" graded diamond for cut should not include steep and deep stones...which it does for various reasons that you can research here. An AGS 0 rated diamond would not include these stones therefore you get more light return..as goes the argument. So the cut on the AGS diamonds are more specific, however they may vary on the grading of color as compared to GIA.

AGS is newer and the certificates are less well known, so potentially the argument could be made that a GIA certificate with specific specs is more valuable than an AGS certification.
So my vote would be for a GIA certificate with specific specs in regards to depth and angles.

Ok I am done with my rant.. whos next?..hopefully I don't start an argument here..lol.
11.gif

findarock

Shiny_Rock
MTRB and everyone, thanks for all your help.

I really appreciate the break down of the 2 different groups. Any idea what kind of Value a GIA cert can add?
Does it cost a lot to get something GIA cert?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2006 6:00:07 PM

Finally...you bring up the age old argument... AGS VS. GIA.. well you will find both sides of the coin here. There are two arguments.

1) GIA invented the standards. They are the oldest, and most respected in the world. Just having a GIA certification actually will add value to your stone, and when you try to trade it in you will have dealers jumping for it..at least in my experience.
Many average people will also recognize GIA over AGS and therefore it is a better marketing tool as well as a great tool when deciding on a diamond to purchase.

2) The argument for AGS is that a GIA ''Excellent'' graded diamond for cut should not include steep and deep stones...which it does for various reasons that you can research here. An AGS 0 rated diamond would not include these stones therefore you get more light return..as goes the argument. So the cut on the AGS diamonds are more specific, however they may vary on the grading of color as compared to GIA.

AGS is newer and the certificates are less well known, so potentially the argument could be made that a GIA certificate with specific specs is more valuable than an AGS certification.
So my vote would be for a GIA certificate with specific specs in regards to depth and angles.

Ok I am done with my rant.. whos next?..hopefully I don''t start an argument here..lol.
11.gif
I just highlighted some questionable text above...after running a search in the "search by cut" db for a set of stones that are constrained by AGS vs GIA. Given 1 - 1.1 carats, G VS2, all excellent for HCA, the AGS group start at $1K more, and finish out $500 more than GIA. Generally, market forces dictate what prices will bear. People will pay more for where value is seen.

diamondhunter10

Shiny_Rock
I would strongly recommend looking at the Tips!

Review the Tools and resources and match that up with the feedback you are getting!

findarock

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the feedback, interesting views.
I think I need to spend more time on researching the suggested vendors and understand the whole AGS vs GIA dynamic

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei/All,

the list of vendors, are they paid advertisers? the following is a link for my final four and I have done some searches on the different companies,
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/steam-room/getting-close-my-final-four-t53048.html

your thoughts

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
Check out JamesAllen.com. They were excellent to deal with.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
If you read, you''ll notice that people avoid mall stores like the plague. You typically get much better service and honesty from the mom & pop stores. Not always, but much better chance. Of course, a mom & pop store can be located in a mall. Basically, you''re better off skipping a mall''s chain store like Kay''s.

It is nice to hold the stone in your hands. With a brick and mortar store, this is convenient and doesn''t cost you anything beyond gas. If you''re waffling btw many stones, it can cost a ton to inspect them personally from online stores. That could negate the online stores'' price advantage.

If you do go to a B&M store, don''t look at the stone under the store lights. You wanna see how it looks in natural sunlight or at least flourescent lighting. Those halogen spotlights they have over the display cases could make a piece of coal look brilliant.

Also, consider getting an Idealscope. I found it immensely helpful in weeding out the poorly cut stones. It can get overwhelming if you see a bunch of stones in a short amount of time and the Idealscope helps. I went to the Los Angeles jewelry mart. Tons of stones. Tons of stores. the IS made it easy to weed out the crap.

4themrs

Rough_Rock
Codex, I have been reviewing this thread and I have learned a lot from the feedback, my thoughts are similiar in that I research and I think that I am going to look at some of the vendors to buy online, a lot of people that I have heard from were saying online sales, Yes even EBay, then brick and mortar.

I have found the tips helpful, do you have any companies that you are thinking about going with? I noticed someone mentioned JAmesallen.com

findarock

Shiny_Rock
4themrs, There are a lot of good vendors on here, I narrowed mine down to a final 4. I took out JT and added WhiteFlash.
I think this is the link: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/steam-room/getting-close-my-final-four-t53048.html
I have to warn you that I think I opened up a Pandora''s Box with one of my choices Shenoa Diamonds.

Take a look at the post and hopefully it helps you, let me know what you think of my choices.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
were you able to review and see my final four choices?
I am getting close but as I mentioned I did a substitute for Jewelry Television.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think that link works any longer, but you already heard the opinions expressed earlier on those sites. Why don''t you start posting diamonds you are interested in and then you can see what Pricescoper''s can really do... I am always impressed how they come up with a quality stone that you''ll be happy with at a price thats in your budget.

4themrs

Rough_Rock
I was not able to find the link that you said it was under for your final four?
let me know if there is something that I need to do or you should talk to the Administrator?

I look forward to seeing your choices and I will send you some of my companies that are in the running.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
The quality of stone you are getting is whats important not where its from.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results