shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping in Japan

nm1213

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just had my first trip to Japan, and what better way to spend some time than to experience some jewellery shopping. We ended up buying our wedding rings! Here are some observations:

1. Most diamonds on display are around 0.25-0.30ct. They're also VVS and H or higher.
2. The largest one we saw was a 1.07ct F VVS2. It was very expensive, much more so than buying from our usual online vendors. Think more than Tiffany.
3. There are also some distinctly Japanese things, like a "sakura" diamond, which is cut to reveal the outline/shape of a sakura flower. These diamonds are also slightly pink to mimic that of a cherry blossom. Quite cute, but far too small to appreciate the details.
4. We fell in love with Mokume-Gane, which is a technique that somehow blends different metals together giving it a wood grain pattern. The rings are then forged.
5. There is also something called a "sharing ceremony", where a Mokume-Gane ring is split into two by the couple, and then it goes back to be refinished. The end result isn't perfectly round, rather has a dent at the split point.
6. These rings take two months to make. The couple then goes back for the splitting. It then takes another month to do the final finishing.
7. Resizing is free for life. Maintenance can be performed every 2-3 years for heavy wear.
8. The rings are completely customisable, and the design process takes about 3 hours in-person. The experience was really phenomenal. The store person brought out an iPad, and we had a FaceTime session with a translator. There were lots of samples, demonstrations, lovely tea, and a full decision matrix to fill out. The process was completely transparent, without pressure, and very informative.

We ended up customising and buying our wedding rings, and will go back in a couple of months to pick them up. They're certainly more expensive than the usual stuff, but we felt the uniqueness and sentiment of Japan more than made up for the cost.

There are some stunning options available in Japan. I'm surprised some of these products aren't discussed more on these forums, and are not as popular in the west.

N.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds really fascinating. I looked for jewellery when we were in Japan 5 years ago but it was all too delicate for my size 6 1/2 fingers. It was beautiful tho. I love mokume gane - it’s so beautiful!
Please post pictures of your rings when you get them

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome, it sounds like a great experience, and I like the added 'shared journey' that represents the relationship!

I went with Damascus Steel for my ring, which is not dissimilar to Mokume Gane - I was looking at mokume also but it came down to budget in the end!

Please do post pictures if you would be happy to do so, it would be lovely to see the finished products and the process as well :))

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love mokume gane, I’ve always wanted one. I was able to find one for my husband in his size and desired color combination preloved, which brought it down into budget. So at least I can look at his. :)

E0FE6771-577D-447D-B11F-E2A26031301A.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results