shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping for settings in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WindyCitySparkle

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! I have the enviable task of helping my best friend''s boyfriend shop for e-rings for her! Yay ;-). 1.5 years ago we bought my diamond at M Martin & Co and my setting at Wabash Diamond Co. Does anyone have any additional recommendations for great places to look when I take him out shopping? Must be in or around Chicago.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum! Let me know and I will repost somewhere else.

Thanks!
Kate

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there! Try Marshall Pierce at 29 E. Madison, 6th Floor. (It seems like an office building when you go in, but when you get off the elevators on the 6th floor there''s this huge jewelry store in front of you.) Ask for Jim Bern (he''s one of the owners). In addition to the settings then have in the cases they also have trays and trays of settings in back arranged by designer. Just ask them to bring out the trays and go at it! (BTW, the prices on the tags are not the *real* prices, if you know what I mean.)

They are only open M-F 9:30-5:30 and Sat 10-5 and Sun 12-5. These are expanded holiday hours so it for some reason your search goes into January recheck the hours.

I just ordered a Jack Kelege setting from Jim and I''m hoping it comes in any day now, so maybe I''ll see you there.
2.gif

Starry

Rough_Rock
Check out Dimend Scaasi...awesome settings!

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
dimend scassi is good, so is cd peacok in either the nordstroms building or oakbrook. My ring was custom made by cathy wang of east queen jewelers in oakbrook. Its a tiny litle gem dealer, but she does great work!

diamondhunter10

Shiny_Rock
maybe have him look through this site for some facts and figures. I am not that knowledgeable about the different stores in the Windy City.
Does it have to be Brick and Mortar, how about online?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was just in Chicago with Dee Jay a few weeks ago doing the setting search myself. You''ve got some great suggestions thus far. I will also throw out the idea of a road trip to Pearlmans in Battle creek, MI (I think it''s 2.5-3 hours from chicago??) to see one of the largest selections of settings anywhere. I''ve been to his store 2x and I live in TN and it''s been well worth it
1.gif

guel8

Rough_Rock
How are most of these companies when it comes to setting a diamond bought else where?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 7:41:20 AM
Author: guel8
How are most of these companies when it comes to setting a diamond bought else where?

gue18, it''s best to check with each company to be 100% sure but I''m almost positive Dimend Scassi won''t set a stone purchased elsewhere. I think most jewelers will however set your stone if you buy the setting from them, just make sure they will covor the stone if it''s it gets damaged or that you have it insured while being set.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
My rings came from Goldin Jewelers just off of Michigan Ave. It''s one of those places where they buzz you in and there are no cases with jewelery. They bring specific items out that meet your criteria. They were super helpful and with a call a few days ahead brought in several stones that met my criteria plus numerous settings. I worked with Randy and he was fantastic.

guel8

Rough_Rock
Do you have a website for Golding Jewelers? How do there prices matchup with some of the online vendors?

BZ

Rough_Rock
I second ID. I also worked with Randy at Goldin and he was very accomodating. As far as I know, they don''t have much up on their website, mostly contact information.

You need to make an appt before you go. I think their pricing is pretty competitive. I was looking for a new solitaire setting and ended up with an eternity band. I have only had the ring since July, but the quality seems really good.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
You do have to make an appointment at Goldin. Here''s the link for the contact info:

http://www.goldcoastneighborhood.com/html/main/merchant_display/id/13375/index.html

I wanted a Michael B ring and Goldin''s prices were cheaper than Pearlman''s online by quite a bit. I have a radiant and they were competitive on that as well as being very patient bringing lots of stones in that were within my specifications.

I did go to CD Peacock too to look at Vatche rings and I hated CD Peacock. They were not nearly as nice and I felt very rushed and "watched." Their security guy might as well have sat in my lap while I was looking at stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results