shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping for Linens... Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I'm looking for bedding and I've read the consumer reports review of sheets. And want something between 300-400 TC Cotton. I'm wondering if, while registering or looking around for stuff you guys have run across any SOLID duvets in a tangerine or paprika (Spess colored\) duvet sets... or duvet and shams separates. I found one on Target.com but it was sold out on shams or even matching pillow cases (which I will settle for). That's the only one on there that's the right color.

At the rate I'm going I won't have thing left to register for.

We've bought a deep fryer, cappuccino maker, an automatic litter box... all our casual china... a toaster oven. I'm planning on replacing our older food processor and blender as soon as a REALLY good sale comes around.

But oh well... maybe a honeymoon registry.

I don't really want to spend more than 200 for the set of three. Would, of course, prefer to spend a lot less. LOL.

I have an eastern king.
2.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Well, the duvet alone is $195, and it''s silk with a cotton backing, but isn''t this yummy? Z Gallerie-Cassina.

E B

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh WOW that is stunning.
30.gif
If only I didn''t have cats.
39.gif

Still and all, as I love them... the cats stay and I need something pet friendly.
2.gif

This is going to be a severly stupid question but... anyone know anything about percale?

From what I understand it''s not pure cotton has some poly in it.
It''s stronger than plain cotton.
And it''s better at color retention.
Wrinkle Resistant.
Less shrink prone.

But how does it feel?
33.gif

The three options I found to date are as follows:

Cuddle Down 500 TC itallian percale: Too expensive (200 for just the duvet) but it looks nice. In paprika. It says oversized for the king... and it is bigger than standard, but not by much and not as much as the ones below.

http://www.cuddledown.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=712&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=5&iSubCat=39&iProductID=712

This set from BBandB. Which is in budget (I bought and returned it once already) is soft, has a good thread count. But I would (and this sounds insane) want to use the reverse SOLID side. The paisley doesn''t really work for me. Too Ralph Lauren. It doesn''t have king shams either. Just Solid Euro ones. The duvet is oversized which is nice... and a just a 2 inches shorter than the one below.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=110599&RN=27

From The Company Store. 250 TC percale. In terracotta. It''s below budget and it''s SUPERSIZED and the biggest so it will really cover the bed nicely. It comes with shams and everything... I''m worried about the low TC though and I''ve never bought sheets from them.

http://www.thecompanystore.com/parent.asp?product=EX26x&dept%5Fid=19101

I''m also considering a nice tangerine/paprika matelasse (spelling) set instead of the duvet. I haven''t found one... but it may be a good solution/alternative.

This set in Melon also looks interesting although it''s not as vivid as I was hoping.

http://www.thecompanystore.com/parent.asp?product=EZ60x&dept%5Fid=3001

Any advise on these?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

I couldn''t get onto the Cuddledown website so my thoughts may change if I can see that one. Right now, from the ones you''ve posted, my favorites, in order are The Company Store (terracotta), BB & B, then the melon one from The Company Store. I wasn''t too crazy about the melon color, but I love the terracotta! I''ll keep trying the Cuddledown site.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, the best sheets I have found that are affordable are the bamboo and cotton mix ones from BB&B or Linens & Things. They are the SOFTEST feeling sheets ever and they don't come with the pricetag of super high thread count sheets. A set is usually no more than $70. And last time I was there they had quite a few terracotta/orange options.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CuddleDown Percale??

Hi Zoe, the Cuddledown sounds really nice... but that could just be better advertising budget/skills at work. I really like the set from them, but the cost is considerably more than the others, so I''m not sure if it''s worth the difference.

Did the melon look pinky to you at all? That''s my concern with that one. Don''t want pinky orange/salmon color.

Hi Neatfreak, I''ve seen those and they look really nice, unfortunately I''ve combed the website and the store of both those stores and haven''t found the orange I want. Thanks for the help though. I am also getting ivory sheets (all mine are white right now) so I''ll be sure to check those out!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re going to laugh, but I just checked the ones that are currently on our bed because I couldn''t remember where we got them (they are my FAVORITES) and they''re from Target!!! I just ordered a set (like 2 seconds ago) of the terracotta there myself because we need new ones and target has been out for months.

They''re super cheap, but they are nicer than anything I have bought for 3-5X the price.

Try em!

CLICK HERE

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neatfreak... can you link me to the terracotta I just looked on there and didn''t see the color you were talking about and did a search for terracotta but nothing turned up? And do they have duvet covers and shams... or sheets only?? I''m looking for a duvet set.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess they were the "coral" ones, but they look terracotta to me. I just ordered them hoping they''ll be the color on my screen, I can keep you UTD.

The might not have duvets...west elm often has terra cotta colored duvets though...I don''t know how their sheets feel.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks neatfreak!

I''m not really looking for terracotta.. unless it''s the color of wet clay. The Company Store''s ''terracotta'' color is actually much more orange that I normally associate with terracotta-- which is usually salmon-ey to me.

Thank you for your help though! I really appreciate it.
1.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU qtiekiki!

I just looked at the overstock duvets you posted b/c I got really excited... but the reviews have me worried about sorbet orange as many of the colors are much light than pictured IRL according the reviews.

I was also looking that the target rust set.... If only that weren''t stripped. Hmmm...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. So I spent some of the morning researching sheets.

Apparently percale doesn't mean polyester. It can be 100% cotton. It's a closer weave, less prone to tugs and pulls. Good for cats, in other words. It can be soft, but can also be prone to scratchiness in lower thread counts. Usually high thread count for percale is above 200. So the Company Store 25 TC sheets are probably going to be nice.

SUPIMA is good stuff... and using domesticly grown materials etc... can save you money.

Sateen is a more difficult and looser weave than percale. Supposed to mean more pulls (which my bedding can attest to), and high prices.

Andmercerized is a very desirable high end process that stengthens the weave making for a better wearing sheet and alows for deeper dye penetration so that color lasts longer. The cuddlesdown 500TC set has this finish. Company store doesn't.

SO... I'm trying to choose between the company store and cuddledown percale now.

I was going to buy us a nice set of ivory sheets too. But I'm thinking I won't do that now, and just spend the entire bedding budget on the cuddledown 500TC percale. The mercerizing seems to be the key for a better sheet.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey Gypsy - our down comforter is from the Company Store and we love it, but I can''t speak to their sheets.

I found you One More Option (in poppy - they may have other orange options as well that woul be darker, I didn''t look in a lot of detail) - we buy our flannel sheets from Lands End and have had good luck with them, and they are usually pretty reasonably priced. GL!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Amber! They let you order swatches!! I ordered one to check it out, which is fabulous. Thank you!

Regarding the Company Store versus Cuddle Down-- if that one doesn't work out.

Which would you prefer:

Higher thread count higher end smaller duvet that will only cover the TOP of the mattress and maybe an inch and a half on each side???

Or

Lower thread count, lower end LARGE duvet that fits perfectly???

33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe not helpful but my favorite is Ralph Lauren sateen sheets & bedding, I get them on Ebay new for about 60-70% off - looks great and lasts years. I''m just going to have to replace some sheets that I''ve used daily since 2000.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to have to look into that! THANK YOU!

I ordered the cuddledown set... it''s not as small as I thought, and it''s nicer. And I think it will be better with color retention and shrinking. I really want one of their sateen sets too but they only come in pastels.

I do want a second set eventually though... so I''d love to know what else is out there.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Haven''t read through this whole thread, but maybe check out bluefly.com for affordable fancypants linens! They''ve usually got some great stuff, but maybe not in the colours you want.

Oh, and do watch out for overstock linens. I was... disappointed with the ones I bought a few years back.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Advice about Overstock. I usually only buy things that have high reviews on there, like my bed. But I've been wary of their linens.

My new nightstands just arrived (not from overstock)! I'm really happy with them.

I generally only buy sheets I can touch and feel... but I haven't had any luck with the right color in person.

I'll go check bluefly now though! Great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results