shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping For Enagement Rings - Advice for First Time Buyer (Help!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CaratMan

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I have been researching my diamond/engagement ring purchase on the net and PS for the last couple months and finally decided to create an account. There is such a wealth of knowledge on PS and I am glad that I found you guys when I did. So far I have limited my diamond shopping/research to online only and have not ventured into any B&M stores. My budget is $6K total (roughly $5K diamond/$1K setting) and here is what I have narrowed my search down to:

Round with GIA or AGS certs
Cut: Ideal
Clarity: VS1-VS2
Color: G-H
Carat: .90-1.00

I haven''t decided whether I am going to buy online or not, so I am going into Liberty Diamond in Irvine, CA this weekend to check out a selection of stones within those parameters. When I asked, they said that they did have a Sarin Machine and an Ideal Hearts and Arrows view finder but no Ideal Scope. Would you guys still recommend buying an Ideal Scope or do you think that what they have would be sufficient for evaluation purposes? Being that this is my first time going into a store to seriously look at loose stones, is there any other advice that you would give me? This is going to be a big purchase for me, so I definately appreciate all of the help. Thanks you!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 2:53:06 AM
Author:CaratMan
Hi Everyone,

I have been researching my diamond/engagement ring purchase on the net and PS for the last couple months and finally decided to create an account. There is such a wealth of knowledge on PS and I am glad that I found you guys when I did. So far I have limited my diamond shopping/research to online only and have not ventured into any B&M stores. My budget is $6K total (roughly $5K diamond/$1K setting) and here is what I have narrowed my search down to:

Round with GIA or AGS certs
Cut: Ideal
Clarity: VS1-VS2
Color: G-H
Carat: .90-1.00

I haven''t decided whether I am going to buy online or not, so I am going into Liberty Diamond in Irvine, CA this weekend to check out a selection of stones within those parameters. When I asked, they said that they did have a Sarin Machine and an Ideal Hearts and Arrows view finder but no Ideal Scope. Would you guys still recommend buying an Ideal Scope or do you think that what they have would be sufficient for evaluation purposes? Being that this is my first time going into a store to seriously look at loose stones, is there any other advice that you would give me? This is going to be a big purchase for me, so I definately appreciate all of the help. Thanks you!
Hi caratman!

IS is used to check cut performance - and light leakage or lack of in a diamond, a h&a viewer is used to check cut precision. Ask if they have ASET scope available which could be very helpful. Alternatively it sounds like you have been reading up here, post the proportions of any diamonds you like, depth, table, crown and pavilion angles and so on here, then we can take a look for you.

CaratMan

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the tips Lorelei! I asked about the ASET scope and this was their response:

We don’t have an ASET scope; however our Sarin machine has Cut Grade Analyzing software which measures the Fire, Brilliance, and Scintillation of each diamond.

If anyone has any thoughts on whether or not I should still buy an IS, please share. Thanks again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 6:18:12 PM
Author: CaratMan

Thank you for the tips Lorelei! I asked about the ASET scope and this was their response:

We don’t have an ASET scope; however our Sarin machine has Cut Grade Analyzing software which measures the Fire, Brilliance, and Scintillation of each diamond.

If anyone has any thoughts on whether or not I should still buy an IS, please share. Thanks again!
I would get an ASET scope as it can still show any leakage plus you can determine the quality of the light return. Plus you will have it for any * cough* future purchases....
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results