shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping at Good Old Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I have never bought a diamond from the internet but I am open to the idea. I have heard a lot of positive feedback about GOG and I''ve been to their website and noted that they do provide a lot of pictures and information about the diamonds they sell. I also read from their website that they provide full appraisals on the diamonds they sell.

Those of you who bought diamonds from GOG , may I know if you had sent the stone to an independent appraisal before you made your final purchase? For those who are located outside of the US (like me), how was the whole experience buying from GOG?

Would love to hear from you. I am looking for an asscher cut and is considering GOG as a possible source.

Thanks!

avlis

Shiny_Rock
i havent bought (diamonds) over the internet either, however i have been dealing with GoG via email (i keep strange hours so e-mail is the best for me) and so far so good. i have "talked" to both marie(setting) and tim (center stone), and both have been straight foward and responsive.

i cannot offer anything more than this, but i will say so far the "feel" has been good, and I am quite a skeptical person.

tdiggity

Rough_Rock
My ring from GOG is on its way today...I have to say they have been amazing. I worked with Jonathon (the owner/gemologist) as well as Tim (diamond sales) and Marie (settings) and they were all amazingly helpful. They went out of of their way for me...especially Jon and Marie (Tim was on vaca for most of my shopping process). I would go through them...and here are my reasons.

1. They actually have all their diamonds in house. They perform an amazing amount of tests, images, etc that will ease all your concerns about buying a diamond sight unseen. Most of the others have a virtual library of diamonds...they are still nice but you just never know. Most of the others don''t have the testing equipment either.

2. Talking to Jonathon, I can hear the passion he has in his voice...he isn''t going to pick out a crap diamond and sell it to you as something its not...his name, reputation is riding on it.

3. They offer the benefits of B&M store with the prices of an online store. you get lifetime upgrades, a 30 day return policy, amazing advice, tests, free appraisal, etc.

Amazingly they may have made themselves a lifelong customer who has never walked into their store. I didn''t buy my actual ring from them, I got the diamond there and had a setting custom made for me by another place. They gladly set it for me for a $100/K charge. They do work with some really nice designers...they just take a while! :)

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 8:46:40 AM
Author: tdiggity
My ring from GOG is on its way today...I have to say they have been amazing. I worked with Jonathon (the owner/gemologist) as well as Tim (diamond sales) and Marie (settings) and they were all amazingly helpful. They went out of of their way for me...especially Jon and Marie (Tim was on vaca for most of my shopping process). I would go through them...and here are my reasons.

1. They actually have all their diamonds in house. They perform an amazing amount of tests, images, etc that will ease all your concerns about buying a diamond sight unseen. Most of the others have a virtual library of diamonds...they are still nice but you just never know. Most of the others don''t have the testing equipment either.

2. Talking to Jonathon, I can hear the passion he has in his voice...he isn''t going to pick out a crap diamond and sell it to you as something its not...his name, reputation is riding on it.

3. They offer the benefits of B&M store with the prices of an online store. you get lifetime upgrades, a 30 day return policy, amazing advice, tests, free appraisal, etc.

Amazingly they may have made themselves a lifelong customer who has never walked into their store. I didn''t buy my actual ring from them, I got the diamond there and had a setting custom made for me by another place. They gladly set it for me for a $100/K charge. They do work with some really nice designers...they just take a while! :)
I have worked with GOG and adore both Tim and Jonathan. I got my 1.21 cushion from them and it is everything they said and more. Trustworthy, friendly, professional, passionate, honest and truthful are a few words I would use to describe these guys and all there at GOG. These guys listened to me. They heard my concerns about my budget but also my wants for a sparkly diamond and above all, wanting the best quality I could afford. They delivered me a beautiful stone and I get compliments all the time.
emthup.gif

I know that even now, if I contact them with a question, they will do their best to answer as thoroughly and swiftly as if I was there in their presence...whether I am buying today or not. That is just they way they operate. I never feel stupid or as if I am pulling them away from something or someone else. They will make your diamond buying experience wonderful and stressfree.
emhot.gif

I also feel I have made some real friends there which is totally awesome. When the time is right, GOG is where I am going to get a slightly bigger cushion for a haloed look for my ring. Maybe I will go with the same jeweler...maybe someone GOG knows personally. I trust these guys enough that if they know someone that can give me what I want and not break the bank, that is for me!
emotion-5.gif

When I read this post, I knew I had to share my thoughts, feelings of appreciation and experience as well.
emlove.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I was leery too of the whole purchasing over the internet, but GOG made it so easy and I would do it again because of them. I did talk with Whiteflash and they are amazingly resourceful and friendly as well. I felt great about my interaction with WF and would consider them as well for future projects.

Just realize that for me, GOG has a special place!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring in my av came from them, and yes, they''re a great company. I didn''t have my stone sent to an appraisor before. But, it''s a round, fancies are trickier. If it would make you feel better to get a second opinion, go for it, they won''t have a problem with it.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and information. I will go to them for more details then..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also can''t say enough about my experience with GOG. Jonathan is wonderful and I have complete trust in him. My diamond is gorgeous. And no, I saw no reason whatsoever to have the stone appraised since it came with a GIA cert and insurance valuation. I did have it set locally and the jeweler was obviously surprised at the price I paid for the excellent quality stone.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

I''ve also purchased through GOG, and they are FABULOUS! I''ve worked and talked to Tim, Charlie, Marie, AND Jonathan (he''s super cool and super into his work!!!!). They were all helpful, professional and friendly!

I heard it''s always good to get a second appraisal....but I totally trust them. We''re sending my stone to RockDoc just for a little extra opinion, even though we''ve already purchased the stone. That, and we''ve been to the store to see the diamond and it''s absolutly GORGEOUS so it was a no brainer:D

They get a LOT of excellent feedback on Pricescope....and now I know why:)
I hope you get the chance to work with them....!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
We also bought our diamond from GOG. Live in Canada and needed to convince DH to buy online. He ended up agreeing to do a long weekend trip to New York to look at diamonds from GOG. We put 2 on hold at each place, and took the train out to see GOG. Jon spent 2h with us, showing us his set of tools and a number of diamonds. We had the stone laser inscribed and sent to us after we'd left town.

I had the diamond appraised by an independent appraiser in Toronto, but I only had to do that for insurance purposes because they didn't accept an American appraisal (or $ value) at the place I wanted to insure the ring at. The diamond was of course exactly as GOG had appraised it (though their appraisal was more thorough, with the H&A images, brilliancescope etc). The appraiser was impressed with the quality of the stone, and thought we'd gotten a great price.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. Good luck with your search...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results