shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BetsyA

Rough_Rock
I just want to give a bit of advice on shopping for a diamond. I read so many posts which I want to respond to concerning where to buy a diamond but don''t want to sound pushy.

I will share how I bought my diamond and maybe this can help others make a decision. My husband and I bought my diamond from a jewelry store which we have always bought from. The table was 60%, the depth was 63.3. The jeweler told us the cut was Very Good Class 2. .75 H SI2. The color was actually a G-H..very white looking and the SI2 was truly eye clean. But we knew nothing about what to look for in the cut. We were at the mercy of the jeweler.

Then I stumbled upon Pricescope. The more I learned the more I became convinced that my stone did not have the greatest cut. After much confusion I realized I had to go back to the store. Thankfully the store had a great return policy and although we had gone beyond the 30 day money back return period they have a 90 day exchange policy so we were able to pick something else out.

They had a very poor selection of ideals and none that would work for us. The selection was not nearly as great as what is available online but I had no choice. I had to pick something from the store.
8.gif

Anyway, the only decent cut I could find was a HOF and because they are so expensive I had to go smaller in size
8.gif
. I ended up buying a .655 HSI1 that is beautiful but I did go down in size
8.gif
8.gif
(OUCH!) And the stone cost me $800 more! Double OUCH!!! The cut is much better so I can be satisfied. The numbers are right this time and my diamond really sparkles.
appl.gif

But I know that if I could have bought online I would have been able to find a bigger diamond of equal or better quality.

What advice do I want to give? Make sure that wherever you end up buying has a great return policy. And keep in mind that the selection is much better online. There is so much to choose from! I love my diamond but if I had a chance to start over, I would definately order from a vender here on PS. I run numbers through PS and I can get the same or better specs on a diamond and gain 10 points in size for what we paid for my diamond.
wavey.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good advice Betsy,

Tell all your friends about pricescope if they are in love and maybe thinking about a diamond. Tell them to lurk around the forum and learn a few things, read the diamond information on some of the internet sites. Figure out how much your budget is and start narrowing it down. When you get it down to a couple of diamonds, ask for some help. You will get it.
Thanks again Betsy

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Here! Here! Betsy!

But I would up the ante Dimonbob.

Read, and learn, and lurk. That's what I did. But a lot of what was said in the posts didn't really fall into place for me. So I registered, held my breath, and asked a question. I asked a really dumb question. But it worked. I've felt like a total idiot the last few days, and some of the answers I got didn't really make sense. But now I am learning how to use the information I crammed into my brain until I was on overload.

I have been considering an uncerted diamond from my trusted Jeweler of 10 years. Granted I didn't get the push that Betsy did about quality of cut. My jeweler said we would have to have it graded to determine that. But, I'm going back tomorrow with my diamond picture on how %'s are determined to get the table, crown, and pavilion measurements. (I already know the depth.) I have also printed the pricing scale for US Domestic cuts to better evalute the price I was given. Depending on what I learn, I may decide then to have it sent for grading, or just walk away from the deal.

Price Scope is wonderful! And the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked!

2.gif

BetsyA

Rough_Rock
Thank you Dimonbob! I just hope I can help a few others as I've been helped by so many people here.

Hey PQ!

Happy shopping to you. You are in a good place right now as you haven't yet bought. How exciting!

It is true, you read so much on this board that you get to feeling you know more than your jeweler. Ha! I think mine got half afraid of us when we went back and questioned the cut. Threatened may be a better word. We laugh about it now but were in much anguish after learning the cut wasn't the best. You may think we got educated about cut while shopping but actually we were told very little about cut until we questioned her upon returning the 1st stone. They really never even showed us the great cuts when we first bought the class 2 diamond. We didn't know they even existed. We've decided they were a good example of now NOT to sell a diamond! Hee hee!

Hope you find one you feel really great about. Glad you are going to get the specs. It is reassuring to have more to go by as it is tricky to be able to separate the good from the bad with just eyes. At least for me. After all, all diamonds are pretty to look at.

Happy shopping!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results