shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopped at Tiffany''s, bad experience!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

set2374

Rough_Rock
I had always been under the impression that shopping at Tiffany''s is suppose to be an "experience" and that they make a wonderful presentation. Well, perhaps some reputations need to be revisited. Having been an avid reader and researcher on this and other sites for the past two months or so, I have really gotten quite a diamond education: from AGS000, to sarin and OGI, pavillion and crown angles and enough information to really ask meaningful questions. I have been out many-''a-night and weekend to look at different stones and the one stone left unturned (no pun) was the legendary Tiffany & Co. My gf and I drove over to their store in the Americana Manhasset, New York. It''s a very exclusive shopping area catering to Hermes, Gucci and Cartier (all of which are located there). The sales person had an attitudes the likes of which I have yet to encounter. She should me two stones that were set in the typical Tiffany''s setting. I asked if I could please see loose stones:

Sales woman: "Sir, we don''t sell loose stones. All our stones come set."
Me: "I see. If I wanted to purchase a specific stone, would you be able to reset it for in a different setting"

Sales woman: "No, you would have to purchase a different stone."

Me: "Ok, do all of your stones have GIA Reports."

Sales Woman: "All of our stones have GIA Reports and Tiffany''s Reports and Guaranty"

Me: "Unfortunately, GIA reports don''t provide crown and pavillion angles, do you have that information."

Sales woman: "Yes, if its'' really IMPORTANT to you, you can look at that information on the computer, but all of our stones are ideal cut. This is Tiffany''s." (EXACT QUOTE)

After looking at several rings, none of which looked ideal to me, I asked to see the Tiffany''s reports: Stone 1: 1.15 Carat, GVS2, Table 61.5%, Depth 58.7%, Crown angle 33.8, Pavillion Angle 40.6; Stone 2, 1.28 Carat HVS1 59% Table, 60.2 % Depth, Crown Angle 34.2, Pavillion Angle 40.3. I ran an HCA on Both stones later, Stone 1 had and HCA of 1.7 (all very goods, except for spread which was excellent) Stone 2 had an HCA of 1.3, light return very good, the rest excellent. The Polish and Symmetry were VG, VG for Stone 1, Vg, EX for Stone 2. Stone 2, was definitely nicer than stone 1, but neither would be considered "Ideal" by any means or objective standard.

I asked the sales woman if I could look at the stone through a loop and ideal scope or similar devise. She looked at me like I had two heads, but said, they have a microscope I could use, but it''s Tiffany''s, they only have the very best. She didn''t know what an ideal scope was. I began to explain and then gave up when I saw she was getting visibly annoyed. Frankly, I was losing patients myself. I am looking at nicely cut, but hardly ideal 1.25 carat stone that they are asking $24,600 for and you would think I was annoying her by asking a few questions. After all, we are talking about an engagement ring, not silver hoop earings (and even then I should be treated with patience and a smile). The fact is, you would expect a Tiffany''s salesperson to be conversant in their products and at least be polite, even if they aren''t sure of what it is they are selling. I WAS VERY UNIMPRESSED!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results