shape
carat
color
clarity

shoot me now - ruby ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laughinggravy

Shiny_Rock
To all you guys who were so kind as to respond last time - and even just the quick browsers, big, big sorry - massive amounts of egg on face.
23.gif

The specs I gave under my last post were a leeeetle out. In fact it''s a 2.50 centre stone (I shouldn''t be allowed out alone!), not 1.5 as I stated.

So, for €5,5K (which I think someone was kind enough to point out is $8k - if I remember correctly), fair price or not?2.5 centre ruby (slightly less than 7mmx9mm cushion), Thai not Burmese, very nice, rich red, no pink/brown ( Loupe
2.gif
!), flanked with .30 diamond pears, (again good looking to the naked eye), set in plat.

The centre stone is eye clean and slightly flawed under the loupe. The cut is very good (to my eye) but what I didn''t notice last time is that the girdle is slightly chipped (very slightly, more liked abraded) and there is a small scratch on the side of the stone just where it meets the setting.

Nice setting, little double claws, he thinks it''s around 30 years old.

He couldn''t give me a date for the ring and the setting is not hallmarked or marked platinum. However he is fine about sending it, for free, to IGI Antwerp (that''s who they use in this part of Europe for set stones, HRD better for loose but they won''t touch set stones unfortunately).

So, sorry for taking up so much space, but what d''yall think now I''m being just a little accurate? (
40.gif
)

Have great weekends everyone,
Abigail

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Abigail!

I, for one, am glad you're still considering that ring! I thought the price was not AWFUL when the ruby was only 1.5 carats!....but I was in the minority, I guess.

By the way...I just checked my currency converter and 5500 Euros is about $7200USD... making that 2.5ct ruby roughly $2880/ct, with the platinum and diamond mounting (no small thing) thrown in as a bonus.

I AM NOT AN EXPERT...I'm am just a pretty active consumer, and I think really pretty, sparkly, RED rubies of two and a half carats do not grow on trees. I think you might have to shop around for quite a while to find another one...

I really like it that the dealer is willing to send it off to a lab, although I know nothing about IGI Antwerp.

Again, I'm not an expert (I need to emphasize this
20.gif
)...but I would SERIOUSLY consider buying that ring!

I'll be curious to hear what the pros have to say.

By the way...aren't you in England? Why are you talking Euros instead of pounds? (just curious!
1.gif
)

Cheers!
widget

laughinggravy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Widget, thank you so much for replying. And you are doing the maths for me too
36.gif

I''m in Brussels, but I''m from the UK - hence the €/£ thing.

I agree it''s quite hard to find rubies in the larger size. I''ve only been looking for a few weeks but it is the case that, as far as I have seen so far, they are either used as accent stones or, so far at least, seem to be so included as to appear fairly (or really) opaque.

Your post on Thai rubies really helped me out, thanks.

I remember you and your nice doggy from DT (hope that''s not the wrong thing to say!) Good to see you.
A

widget

Ideal_Rock
I remember you and your nice doggy from DT (hope that''s not the wrong thing to say!) Good to see you.
I''m sure it''s ok!
1.gif

But I bet your user name isn''t "laughiinggravy" over there...I''m SURE I would have remembered that one! Where does that come from, anyway?

widget

laughinggravy

Shiny_Rock
9.gif
Laughinggravy it was - but I always hated the idea of putting my credit card details on the net, which you had to do over there to be a full member. So I could only post in the non-diamond talk forums.

But I used to love reading the posts and spent a good three years enjoying the community until it sort of went west.

It''s nice to find familiar names (and dogs!) over here and everyone seems to be very helpful.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Abigail

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results