shape
carat
color
clarity

Sholdt Troubles: How to Respond?

dizzyj

Rough_Rock
Hi folks! New poster here, coming on the advice of a friend who thinks you may be able to help me figure out what went wrong.

I'm getting ready to propose to my lovely and amazing partner, and after a while of search found an amazing and affordable red spinel. On the advice of a friend who knew their designs were elegant and appropriate and that a local jeweler would be a nice tough, I decided to bring the stone I'd purchased to Sholdt here in Seattle. Working with their saleswoman Kaylee was great during the design and build process. The trouble started the day I was supposed to pick up the ring, when I received a phone message that they'd damaged the spinel. Sure enough, it was chipped, and would need replacing. It took a while for them to find appropriate replacements, I suppose since red spinels are difficult to find, and she mentioned some sort of gem show taking up significant amounts of inventory? Anyways, a week later, they have 3 stones for me to look at: 1 orange, 1 pink, and 1 brown, and none of them were satisfactory. They proposed a fourth stone, but it was smaller (6.3 instead of 6.7) and more expensive -- $1800 compared to the original $1000. They said they'd cover half the difference. Finally today I called to agree to come in and look at this new stone, but I also wanted to know what my options were. If I didn't feel like the stone was right or didn't want to pay an additional $400 on top of the premium for their design, what would happen? I think I upset the saleswoman because she immediately began asking if I'd had the stone insured, that the stone she had was "perfect", and that I wouldn't be able to get a full refund, just that I wouldn't have to pay for the ring and that I could have my mother's diamonds (used as accents) returned, and that I'd have to deal with their insurance for a replacement -- ironically, the very thing they haven't been able to offer.

Did I put myself in trouble by not insuring the stone myself? Maybe I should have gone to someone who specialized in colored stones, but we really liked their designs. I didn't sign anything when I dropped the stone off with them -- is the deferral to insurance normal in this admittedly unpleasant and uncommon situation? Am I within my rights to ask for a full refund (including the deposit I'd put down on the ring & setting) and the value of the original stone? How long can I expect the attempt to replace to last?

Thanks for your thoughts, folks.

edited for clarification

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh dear.

I would 100% expect for them to pay for the replacement stone, and would NOT accept you having to pay 50% of the cost. They damaged your stone, you didn't do "half" of the damage, you know? I would insist on them paying for the replacement, and if they refuse, I would really expect a refund for the ring costs, and I'd pursue them to give you the price of the spinel back.

Some insurance companies and businesses will not work/insure with stones that were not bought by the company, for this very reason. Typically when I have something shipped off to be set, I trust the people I've worked with to work with me in the event that damage ends up happening to my item.

Such a terrible situation, and I'm so sorry that you're in it. Especially with such an important purchase.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It's so sad, and so frustrating when a vendor shows their true colors. I'm your friend, and I said this in privately, but I'll repeat again:
I think you should write up an email that you cc Kaylee and the owner and also send it registered mail in which you:
-Summarize everything up until this point, including that at no point before was insurance ever discussed, emphasizing that they assured you that the colored gem would be no problem, that it's unacceptable that you've been asked to pay $400 more for an inferior (smaller) stone that is too small for the setting (which they said they would "make work" instead of making a new setting, even though you're paying a premium for custom
-Ask for everything to be conducted in writing from here on out
-State that you will only deal with the owner, not Kaylee (her father?)
-state your request (full reimbursement of what you've paid plus the cost of the original spinel as per the receipt you've already provided, and return of your mother's diamonds)
-state that you will be compelled to take further action unless this is addressed

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Totally agree Freke. What steps would you take now?

Such a shame, too, because I know this was a vendor many of us admired. Chrono made the point in the other thread about them usually setting diamonds and that is true, but that has nothing to do with their customer service, lack of informed consent, or decision to take the job.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would take it to the owner. I would insist that they find a replacement stone, that was acceptable to dizzyj, and insist that they replace it at their cost.

The second to last stone I got set was my emerald. When I took it to get set, my jeweler gave me his sternest look and said, "Emeralds are very hard to set. I'm going to charge you an extra $20 to set it because it's an emerald and I will have to take extra time to set it. It will not be guaranteed, either during setting or afterwards. This is at your risk." And I said ok.

But that didn't happen here. So I think they need to cough it up.

dizzyj

Rough_Rock
Thanks, FrekeChild and Velouria. I'm drafting an email to the owner in the hopes of getting this resolved this way -- perhaps there's still an amicable resolution. I feel burnt by the fact that they never mentioned insurance, never discussed any risk to the spinel, and I'm really upset that they won't answer my questions about the process or discuss refunding my deposit.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I'm new to CS, not new to PS. It seems in the RockyTalky forum, posters always encourage others to insure their diamonds before setting if the setting and the diamond are purchased from different vendors. That's why it's beneficial to have the stone and the setting purchased from the same vendor so the vendor's insurance can cover the stone during setting. Is this different with colored stones?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CS can be difficult to insure because pricing/replacement cost isn't always consistent across the board, finding a like replacement can take months depending on the gem type and colour, and more. My experience is that most benches have insurance but not all do. Those that don't (and that I've worked with) made it clear that the risk was mine to bear.

I do not know Sholdt's setting policy and that's what I would check out first. If their insurance covers stone setting damage, then they should get you a like replacement stone. If nothing acceptable is found, a refund doesn't sound unreasonable. If their policy says the risk is the customer's, I'm afraid you are at the losing end. Unfortunately, not being aware of the policy doesn't change anything in your favour but perhaps Sholdt might extend some sort of goodwill gesture.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that it depends on the policy, but I don't see it on the website, dizzyj said it was never discussed, he certainly didn't sing anything, doesn't sound like it was posted... So, what good is a policy if they can make it up after the fact?

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Right, chrono, dizzyj got the spinel he did for the price he did because of my expertise and months of looking. They find four inferior stones, one that costs almost twice as much, and expect that to work for dizzyj... And expect him to pay half the difference? I find that unacceptable.

Eta: I think they need to either take the time to find a stone of acceptable size, color, AND price or else offer a full refund...

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1394667970|3632939 said:
CS can be difficult to insure because pricing/replacement cost isn't always consistent across the board, finding a like replacement can take months depending on the gem type and colour, and more. My experience is that most benches have insurance but not all do. Those that don't (and that I've worked with) made it clear that the risk was mine to bear.

I do not know Sholdt's setting policy and that's what I would check out first. If their insurance covers stone setting damage, then they should get you a like replacement stone. If nothing acceptable is found, a refund doesn't sound unreasonable. If their policy says the risk is the customer's, I'm afraid you are at the losing end. Unfortunately, not being aware of the policy doesn't change anything in your favour but perhaps Sholdt might extend some sort of goodwill gesture.
Thanks for this info, Chrono! CS is such a different world.

Like the OP, I also live in Seattle and had Sholdt set my stone (a diamond purchased from JA) in the beginning of last year. Since it was round and a diamond, there was (what I perceived to be) low-risk in damaging the stone. I don't remember Kalee volunteering information about insurance but I did make a point in asking if I should insure the stone myself before setting. She told me that I needed to purchase my own insurance which I did because I am nothing if not risk-adverse. I do not recall seeing their policies in writing though, unless it was printed on my receipt (which I don't think it was).

ETA: I think that the risk to their reputation might be worth more than replacing the stone for you, so I'd keep at them to come up with an acceptable solution to you. I really hope that you and Sholdt are able to work it out! I thought they were great to deal with too.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What heartbreak and aggravation, I'm so sorry.

Just one point of clarification: is there a disclaimer/waiver of liability or the like on your work order and/or the receipt for any of the deposit money you paid; it may be in tiny print. I'm thinking No, since you said you "didn't sign anything", etc., but if that language is lurking somewhere, it will be something that Scholdt will point to. If there is no such thing, I'd include that in your upcoming e-mail/letter.

I wouldn't, however, threaten "further action" at this point. Saying that in your first, formal communique to them may very well prompt them to dig their heels in (that -- not capitulation -- is most people's reaction to a hardball thrown at the outset) & speedy resolution is your #1 priority. And eliminating just now any reference to further action doesn't do yourself any harm. So I'd conclude with a nudge that' anticipates a good outcome.... maybe something along the lines of "I look forward to receiving a positive response that is in keeping with the caliber of your reputation, the major reason I entrusted the spinel, my mother's diamonds, and the creation of my future wife's engagement ring to you."

Wishing you all the very best, and that it happens soon!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that expecting him to pay more for an inferior stone isn't acceptable. They cannot make up the policy at the last minute because it should be something printed or in black and white. My work orders from various shops have the store policies printed at the back.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Good point Molly to look for the fine print. Also to use a velvet glove. I was thinking that maybe they'd decide this is too much trouble for what, in jewelry, isn't a whole lot of money.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1394668424|3632949 said:
What heartbreak and aggravation, I'm so sorry.

Just one point of clarification: is there a disclaimer/waiver of liability or the like on your work order and/or the receipt for any of the deposit money you paid; it may be in tiny print. I'm thinking No, since you said you "didn't sign anything", etc., but if that language is lurking somewhere, it will be something that Scholdt will point to. If there is no such thing, I'd include that in your upcoming e-mail/letter.

I wouldn't, however, threaten "further action" at this point. Saying that in your first, formal communique to them may very well prompt them to dig their heels in (that -- not capitulation -- is most people's reaction to a hardball thrown at the outset) & speedy resolution is your #1 priority. And eliminating just now any reference to further action doesn't do yourself any harm. So I'd conclude with a nudge that' anticipates a good outcome.... maybe something along the lines of "I look forward to receiving a positive response that is in keeping with the caliber of your reputation, the major reason I entrusted the spinel, my mother's diamonds, and the creation of my future wife's engagement ring to you."

Wishing you all the very best, and that it happens soon!

Well said! :appl:

dizzyj

Rough_Rock
For what it's worth, Sholdt have contacted me and say they have a stone coming in that, while smaller, may be a better match for the color, and for which I'm not expected to pay anything more. They were much more concerned and clear about the constraints and expectations, and I appreciate that it's a difficult situation for everyone to be in, and I'm going in with an open mind in the hopes that they have found a good replacement. It's been very comforting to have your collected wisdom on hand. Plus, the fact that I'm pretty sure she'll still say yes is helping keep me calm and collected throughout this. I really hope this resolves well, as the design is beautiful and very well done and during that part of the process I felt well supported

Keeping my fingers crossed!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds encouraging, dizzyj, and because this last conversation with Scholdt is a better way to end the day than how your morning started, hope you sleep well tonight. Good luck, we're all rooting for you!!

p.s. thanks, minous

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
We will all definitely send you positive vibes for this to work out!

And trust me, folks, he's got a big weekend planned! :)

Amour_Et_Diamants

Shiny_Rock
This is heartbreaking to read! I'm so sorry this happened, but I'm glad SHOLDT is working to make this right for you.

dizzyj

Rough_Rock
Update: I went to the shop this morning and saw a beautiful, quite-definitely-and-beautifully red precision cut spinel. Kalee, the Sholdt representative, walked through the changes to the setting they'd make, and was able to be flexible with me considering it was a bit smaller than the original -- I didn't have to pay anything extra.

I'm really glad I stuck it out, but I'm super grateful to the PS community for the advice on how to handle this and what kind of expectations to set. I was very impressed with what they were able to find, and I felt much better about my last set of interactions with Sholdt -- tomorrow morning, I should be picking up the ring I'd planned on, and that makes a huge difference. I'll definitely post some photos of the ring once I've picked it up.

Breathing a sigh of a relief over here -- I guess I shouldn't be surprised that getting married should start off with excitement, danger, and adventure, right? :)

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I'm so glad it worked out for you. Congrats on the impending engagement!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thank god I worked out. Please show us when it's finished !!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed, I'm glad everything worked out :)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear a happy ending =)

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a story! I hope you are happy with then final product and I can't wait to see a picture!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! And we will need lots and lots of pics!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! And of course now I really really want to see the stone! That's high praise given the circumstances. I'm happy to hear that things are working out - it would've been a shock and a shame if they had not.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Third-ing the requests for pics of the finished product! I love Sholdt designs.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Soooo relieved. I know *I'll* get to see it, but you should give the ladies what they want! ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results