shape
carat
color
clarity

Sholdt from Pearlmans?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nydk2000

Rough_Rock
Hi... I''ve been reading PS for about a month now and am now jumping in to get some thoughts and advice from all the experts out there. My GF and I have been looking at diamonds and settings for the past month online as well as in the Diamond District in NYC. We saw a setting at Michael C Fina that we really liked (Sholdt, Fremont Solitaire) and I found that Pearlman''s offers the setting for much less. I spoke with Julian who told me that it is considered a special order so there is no return policy.

This is my first ring so am obviously a bit anxious about a no-return policy so wanted to get everyone''s opinions on getting a diamond ring, sight unseen, with no return policy. Pearlman''s seems to have a great reputation on PS, so I was surprised at the no return policy. And also, the prices that Julian quoted seem to be less than what I''ve seen in the Diamond District (before haggling of course). I''m always concerned when things sound too good to be true so wanted to make sure I wasn''t missing anything; I''m a true NY-er, I guess.

So, any thoughts on Pearlman''s no-return policy for a Sholdt Fremont Ring? http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/sholdt-jewelry/rings/21ZZ1/7/

We have looked at the setting itself at Michael C Fina in NYC, but I guess I''m a bit anxious about how the final product would look with the diamond we select, and would like the reassurances of a return policy; even if it was not 100%.

Also, does this price sound right for this diamond? It seems comparable to BlueNile, JamesAllen, and cheaper than the pre-haggle prices in the Diamond District. And of course, I can''t help but wonder how they can have such low profit margins if it is valid. Are the diamonds are from Canada or something, or is there some reason for the diamonds being cheaper? (Note: Not that there is anything wrong with Canada, but I remember seeing something about Canadian diamonds, and can''t remember if that was a good or bad thing)
1.3ct H VS2
Excellent/ Excellent
Table 56%
Depth 62.1%
$7,368

1.25ct G VS2
Excellent/ Excellent
Table 57%
Depth 62.2%
$7,207

Thanks...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearlman''s is a first class place - I would not hesitate to recommend them. I''m guessing that the no return policy is Sholdt''s policy rather than Pearlman''s. As far as the pricing, I think Pearlman''s offers some very good pricing on designer pieces; after having bought from them myself, I would count their pricing as a stroke of luck rather than something suspicious. That''s not always the case with everything I buy from just anyone but there have been lots of PSers who have bought from them and would probably tell you the same thing.

No return is always a scary thing. However, if you can try this mounting on and have someone set a comparable size stone on it to give you some idea, then you should be able to make a pretty good decision. If I had to buy it sight unseen, I would be very hesitant of the no return policy.

Good luck to you - it looks like a beautiful mounting!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I would ask Pearlman''s if they can get a sample from Sholdt. I think some designers will send out a sterling sample?

nydk2000

Rough_Rock
Yes!! That''s it. Lovely, isn''t it?

I only have the GIA report, so I don''t know if I have the Crown & Pavilion angles. But if it is what I think it is, then I I think it is 35 degrees and 40.8 degrees. From what I read of an ideal cut, this seems pretty good, no?

NYDK2000-HVS2.jpg

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 10:44:46 PM
Author: nydk2000
Yes!! That's it. Lovely, isn't it?

I only have the GIA report, so I don't know if I have the Crown & Pavilion angles. But if it is what I think it is, then I I think it is 35 degrees and 40.8 degrees. From what I read of an ideal cut, this seems pretty good, no?
yeah, you're right...

and pretty nice with a score of 1.6 TIC (ex/ex/ex/vg) on the HCA.. next you might wanna ask for / post the IS/ ASET pics.. and i'm sure the experts here will chime in with more in depth advises / suggestions..

also though you're probably quite safe with VS2, you might wanna consider just asking the vendor for verfication on eye-cleanliness and from what distance is the verification done...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 10:44:46 PM
Yes!! That's it. Lovely, isn't it?

I only have the GIA report, so I don't know if I have the Crown & Pavilion angles. But if it is what I think it is, then I I think it is 35 degrees and 40.8 degrees. From what I read of an ideal cut, this seems pretty good, no?
Looks promising but I would like to see an ASET or Idealscope image for this diamond as Blast suggests. Ask Pearlmans if they can provide one.

PortlandKelly

Rough_Rock
Definitely call Pearlmans and ask for a sample. They were going to send me a Sholdt sample, but I was able to find a jeweler close by who had a sample to show me (it had a CZ in the center).

I believe the no return policy is because Sholdt custom makes each ring to fit the stone. At least that''s my understanding from talking to the local jeweler. Maybe Pearlmans can clarify that part as well??

Good luck!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
As Lorelei said, the numbers look promising and try to get an Idealscope image. Sholdt does make the setting around the stone so no refunds.

nydk2000

Rough_Rock
Thanks all... My GF and I have seen the Sholdt in local stores, and we really like it. We''re going to go with it, and now I''m just deciding on the diamond. The HVS2 that I''ve listed above is one choice. Another one is an AGS0 that Julian from Pearlmans suggested. Specs are below, and I think I might go with this. Any thoughts or advice before I purchase the AGS0 diamond? Idealscopes are not available, but the specs look good enough (especially for an AGS0) that I think we should be good.

1.24 ct H VS2
Excellent/ Excellent
Table 55.8%
Depth 60.5%
Crown 34.7%
Pavillion 40.5%
$6,334

I also like it because it''s almost the same size as the 1.3ct above, but about $1K cheaper. The 1.3ct is 6.96 x 6.98mm x 4.33 and the 1.24 is 6.96 x 6.99 x 4.22.

Seems like a great price, but again, my NYC skepticism is kicking in. Any final thoughts before I purchase the AGS0 and the Sholdt?

Thanks

HVS2AGS.jpg

nydk2000

Rough_Rock
And yes, they are getting the ring from Sholdt directly and they size it according to the diamond. So the no-return policy is from Sholdt, not from Pearlmans.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
if you pricescope your diamond you'll see the price is about there.. and HCA returned a score of 0.3 excellent (ex/ex/ex/vg).. not sure what to say about that since this is the first time i seen a score like this.. maybe others will have more to add on...

on the other hand i assume this stone is with Pearlman's and you and your gf has seen the actual thing? so right now, you can throw in all the tools available in the world and its not gonna matter coz most importantly, it depends on how you and your gf, feel about it.. so if you have a good feeling towards it.. i'll say you got yourself a winner... bottomline its an AGS0 and the HCA checked out fine, so you probably will not go wrong...
21.gif

there's no such thing as "the best stone" (in my opinion) because there will always be a better stone somewhere out there... the really special one is the one which captures your eyes and belongs with your heart (ETA: and of course on the ring on her finger as well.. heehee..
9.gif
)...
21.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again I would like an Idealscope image for this AGS0 diamond if possible.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 11:44:19 PM
Thanks all... My GF and I have seen the Sholdt in local stores, and we really like it. We''re going to go with it, and now I''m just deciding on the diamond. The HVS2 that I''ve listed above is one choice. Another one is an AGS0 that Julian from Pearlmans suggested. Specs are below, and I think I might go with this. Any thoughts or advice before I purchase the AGS0 diamond? Idealscopes are not available, but the specs look good enough (especially for an AGS0) that I think we should be good.

1.24 ct H VS2
Excellent/ Excellent
Table 55.8%
Depth 60.5%
Crown 34.7%
Pavillion 40.5%
$6,334

I also like it because it''s almost the same size as the 1.3ct above, but about $1K cheaper. The 1.3ct is 6.96 x 6.98mm x 4.33 and the 1.24 is 6.96 x 6.99 x 4.22.
Seems like a great price, but again, my NYC skepticism is kicking in. Any final thoughts before I purchase the AGS0 and the Sholdt?
Thanks

Is that graded as Ideal or Excellent in symm/polish by the AGS?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1.24 ct H VS2
Excellent/ Excellent
Table 55.8%
Depth 60.5%
Crown 34.7%
Pavillion 40.5%
$6,334

Thanks
Can you check the polish and symmetry please, I assume that is what the excellent/ excellent pertains to? If so then it won''t be an AGS0 as stated.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 5:14:33 AM
Author: Lorelei
Can you check the polish and symmetry please, I assume that is what the excellent/ excellent pertains to? If so then it won''t be an AGS0 as stated.

oh... good point Lorelei and Stone-Cold...

hmmm... any comments on the 0.3 on HCA? its the lowest ever that i''ve came across.. i understand that lower doesn''t necessarily mean better, but i also realize i am seeing a lot more 1.Xs than 0.Xs.. is there a reason to this?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 5:23:37 AM
Author: blastdoor

Can you check the polish and symmetry please, I assume that is what the excellent/ excellent pertains to? If so then it won't be an AGS0 as stated.

oh... good point Lorelei and Stone-Cold...

hmmm... any comments on the 0.3 on HCA? its the lowest ever that i've came across.. i understand that lower doesn't necessarily mean better, but i also realize i am seeing a lot more 1.Xs than 0.Xs.. is there a reason to this?
Hi Blast, that is because of the shallower pavilion angle and why I asked for an Idealscope image of the diamond, diamonds which are shallower ( have pav angles of 40.6 and below) need further evaluation with such images and especially if the crown angle is 34 or less along with those angles it is even more important. The reason being that some of these diamonds can show what is called obstruction due to head/ body shadow when these rocks are viewed at close range. The result of this is that the diamond can look dark in such conditions. Some believe that such diamonds are better suited for pendants or earrings than rings where normal viewing angles and distances don't apply, my opinion is that it depends on what the buyer wants and their preferences and that each diamond needs careful assessment for suitability of use and buyer preferences in all cases - so it isn't as cut and dried as that - many grey areas.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 5:26:40 AM
Hi Blast, that is because of the shallower pavilion angle.

sorry Lorelei (and nydk for hijacking this thread)... one more question...

so does that make it a better diamond or a not-as-good diamond? or does it just give it a different character?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 5:31:21 AM
so does that make it a better diamond or a not-as-good diamond? or does it just give it a different character?
Not so good as a ring stone where people could be viewing in close distance of less than 8-10inch away. Still would be good as a pendant or earring stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 5:31:21 AM

Date: 2/27/2009 5:26:40 AM
Hi Blast, that is because of the shallower pavilion angle.

sorry Lorelei (and nydk for hijacking this thread)... one more question...

Sorry I was still editing! In the case of the diamond above, then it could be a nice diamond depending on further evaluation to make sure the shallower pavilion angle isn't having a negative effect on the diamond such as obstruction ( not always the case though that this will be a problem especially with this one). Generally shallower diamonds - ex- crown angle below 34 and pavilion angle 40.6 or less, can be very bright and brilliant diamonds which can look large for the weight in some cases, and as some believe suited for pendant and earring diamonds ( see above). But the trade offs can be that these diamonds can show less fire or coloured light and not be the best all round performers.

With the diamond in question though, ASET or Idealscope would help as otherwise any opinion or judgement is pure speculation, it could be a very nice diamond and be perfectly suitable for a ring.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
hmm.. ok... thanks Lorelei and Stone-Cold... a lesson a day...
21.gif

back to you nydk..
3.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very glad to help as always Blast!

nydk2000

Rough_Rock

1.24 ct H VS2

Excellent/ Excellent

Table 55.8%

Depth 60.5%

Crown 34.7%

Pavillion 40.5%

$6,334

Thanks

Oops... my apologies. Got confused with the GIA. The AGS cert doesn''t have the specifics for polish, symmetry or proportions and just says "Cut Grade - AGS Ideal (0)". Should I be concerned that the polish,symmetry, or proportions is not listed on this cert? Or any others provided by Pearlmans? For some reason, none of their AGS reports has this sub-details.

Also, what is HCA and how are you guys calculating it? Is lower better? I''ve heard some references to it, but couldn''t find details.

I talked with Julian at Pearlmans, and he said the diamonds are with dealers and they don''t have it in house yet. Pearlmans does have an idealscope, but not the capabilities to take pictures and send it to me. My GF and I are in NY, so we haven''t seen the diamond directly, but I''m thinking that the specs are good enough as compared to other diamonds I might have bought from BlueNile.

From what you guys are saying (and/or what I''m interpreting), I wonder if it''s better to go with the 1.3 HVS2 GIA, as compared to the 1.24 HVS2 AGS.

Thoughts?

AGS0.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 7:58:21 AM

Thanks all... My GF and I have seen the Sholdt in local stores, and we really like it. We're going to go with it, and now I'm just deciding on the diamond. The HVS2 that I've listed above is one choice. Another one is an AGS0 that Julian from Pearlmans suggested. Specs are below, and I think I might go with this. Any thoughts or advice before I purchase the AGS0 diamond? Idealscopes are not available, but the specs look good enough (especially for an AGS0) that I think we should be good.

1.24 ct H VS2

Excellent/ Excellent

Table 55.8%

Depth 60.5%

Crown 34.7%

Pavillion 40.5%

$6,334

I also like it because it's almost the same size as the 1.3ct above, but about $1K cheaper. The 1.3ct is 6.96 x 6.98mm x 4.33 and the 1.24 is 6.96 x 6.99 x 4.22.

Thanks

Can you check the polish and symmetry please, I assume that is what the excellent/ excellent pertains to? If so then it won't be an AGS0 as stated.

Oops... my apologies. Got confused with the GIA. The AGS cert doesn't have the specifics for polish, symmetry or proportions and just says 'Cut Grade - AGS Ideal (0)'. Should I be concerned that the polish,symmetry, or proportions is not listed on this cert? Or any others provided by Pearlmans? For some reason, none of their AGS reports has this sub-details.

Also, what is HCA and how are you guys calculating it? Is lower better? I've heard some references to it, but couldn't find details.

I talked with Julian at Pearlmans, and he said the diamonds are with dealers and they don't have it in house yet. Pearlmans does have an idealscope, but not the capabilities to take pictures and send it to me. My GF and I are in NY, so we haven't seen the diamond directly, but I'm thinking that the specs are good enough as compared to other diamonds I might have bought from BlueNile.

From what you guys are saying (and/or what I'm interpreting), I wonder if it's better to go with the 1.3 HVS2 GIA, as compared to the 1.24 HVS2 AGS.

Thoughts?
Here is my confusion and what was throwing me off, where you noted excellent excellent, I assume that meant polish and symmetry for the AGS diamond? An AGS0 will have ideal for each.

The HCA is here - https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

And no a lower score isn't better, the aim is to score below 2 then evaluate from there, the HCA is a first round elimination tool and is not used to select diamonds.

As to which diamond to choose it is difficult to say without images for these particular ones, ask Pearlmans for further advice on obtaining Idealscopes for each if possible from the original vendors then go from there perhaps.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you can't obtain IS pics, you could always purchase your stone from a vendor that does and have it sent to Pearlman's for setting. They will actually cover the stone in the unlikely even something happened while setting.

If it were me, I'd personally want more info on a diamond bought online (and better angles than the AGS0), but that's just me.
5.gif

p.s. Diamonds are also priced on cut quality, along with color, clarity, and size. That might have something to do with why you're finding the prices a bit less.
28.gif

nydk2000

Rough_Rock
Hi all... thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I spoke with Julian again this morning, and he provided me with a couple of more diamonds (G VS2).

I''ve been playing around with the HCA tool, and reading some more about the Tolkowsky ideal, and proper proportions. I''m happy to say I''ve learned a lot about crown angles, pavilion angles, proper proportions, HCA and wanted to thank all of you.

In short, I''ve placed an order with Julian for the Sholdt Fremont Solitaire, with a 1.34ct G VS2.
Cut: Ex/ Ex/ Ex
Depth% 61.3
Table% 56
Crown angle: 35
Pavilion angle: 40.8
HCA:1.5

Will post pictures after I get it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 1:51:59 PM
Hi all... thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I spoke with Julian again this morning, and he provided me with a couple of more diamonds (G VS2).

I''ve been playing around with the HCA tool, and reading some more about the Tolkowsky ideal, and proper proportions. I''m happy to say I''ve learned a lot about crown angles, pavilion angles, proper proportions, HCA and wanted to thank all of you.

In short, I''ve placed an order with Julian for the Sholdt Fremont Solitaire, with a 1.34ct G VS2.
Cut: Ex/ Ex/ Ex
Depth% 61.3
Table% 56
Crown angle: 35
Pavilion angle: 40.8
HCA:1.5

Will post pictures after I get it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
Congrats and thanks for your kind words! Please post pics of the completed ring, we would love to see it!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! And please do come back with pics. That should be a pretty ring, and no one else has that setting, that I know of. So it may help future customers!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo, I love Sholdt settings...your ring sounds gorgeous. please do come back with pictures!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you ended up making the best choice on the stone, too! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results