shape
carat
color
clarity

Shoes or not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
All my life I was used to wearing my shoes inside my house. Then I got married to my Japanese American husband and he could not stand to have either of us wear shoes in the house. Over time I have gotten used to this and feel uncomfortable when I go to someone''s house and they all wear their shoes and b/c of that I do too.

I am curious about the PSers. Who wears shoes inside? Who *must* take them off?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I hate wearing my shoes inside. In fact, my shoes are all lined up by my door, lol. DH wears his around the house sometimes but I find it uncomfortable and kind of gross. You walk in dirt and stuff, and then track it from outside into your car and then into the house. Plus, I love walking around barefoot. Come summer I don't wear shoes most of the time. I get home, wash my feet and walk around barefoot in the house, too, lol. I love not having shoes on.

ETA: It's not a culture thing for me, by the way. All of my family wears shoes in the house, but I have never been able to stand it.

*M*

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I wear shoes as little as possible. I love socks though! I have always worked desk jobs and typically would slip my shoes off as soon as I was sitting at my desk. I''m a flip flops in the summer girl as they come off the fastest! My DH has shoes and socks on unless he''s sleeping. I was raised in a very informal household, he was raised in a very formal household.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We all take our shoes off immediatly after entering the door. This is entirely b/c of the dirt issue (for the kids) and mostly comfort (for me). We have white carpet in some of our rooms and hardwoods in others and I''m hoping to keep all the flooring in decent shape.

It drives me NUTS when we have family gatherings and none of our guests take their shoes off. It''s just flat out rude especially when DH, Kids and I have our shoes lined up in the house to clearly indicate that we DO not want shoes on. For some reason, all our friends take their shoes off, but family never does.
20.gif

Oh, FWIW, I do have a pair of indoor aerobic shoes that I wear for working out. I''ve never worn them outside so they''ll clean. A sales associate at an athletic store told me that I should try and wear them a few hours a day to be sure my feet don''t flatten out too much. Since I work from home, I guess walking around in socks for nearly 8 hours isn''t good for my feet!
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not wear shoes in the house. Asian thing. It''s weird to me to see people wear shoes in the house..especially kicking their feet up on the furniture with them on. But if I go to homes where they wear shoes, I keep mine on out of courtesy to their household rules.

There was a thread about this last year...can be read here.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Socks, defnitely, shoes --- not unless I have to go out. I love keeping my feet warm but shoes seem too bulky and not necessary for just hanging out at home. When I go to someone else''s house though, I usually ask if they''d like me to take off my shoes. Some people say yes, some say not to worry about it.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I grew up in a house where we wore at least socks or slippers in the house. In other words, it was OK to keep shoes on (although not on the furniture) but if shoes came off, socks or slippers must be on; barefoot was considered absolutely gross.

When I lived in Toronto, I was surprised when visitors would take their shoes off before coming in. I''d be standing there in my shoes and guests would be asking where I wanted them to put their shoes before coming into our modest rented 3 room apt. I found this so funny! So, when living there, I learned to always remove shoes in other people''s houses but still wore them (or socks) in my own home.

Now I''m back in a place where shoes indoors for adults is acceptable. Not so for children -- it''s Maine and for a good part of the year your shoes are likely to be wet, muddy or sandy if you''re a kid and have walked further than the inside of a garage to the door.

My feet have gotten so much flatter over the years (I never had a good arch to begin with) that I''m not comfortable without good arch support. I don''t even walk barefoot on the beach. When I roll out of bed, I put my Dansko clog sandals on, even if it''s just to use the bathroom. If they made a pair for the shower, I''d get them! So I guess if I visited someone whose custom was no indoor shoes I''d have to bring my never-been-worn-outside Danskos with me!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
curious - is this a snow/no snow thing? because my feet in shoes don''t get very dirty between work and home -- unless i''ve been working in the garden.

we have tile throughout, which is cold and hard. i have birkenstocks on feet now.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it''s a cultural thing Ladykemma. Maine has just as much snow as T.O. did and yet here (Maine) people wear shoes indoors all the time. Now, we wouldn''t walk into our own house or someone else''s with the snow still sticking to our boots but in general shoes are worn indoors. In Toronto, on the other hand, people removed their shoes before entering all year round. Everyone had a boot tray at their entrance.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear UGGS that are only worn inside my house. Other than that I wear socks. My daughter wears socks when she''s home. Hubby and Son on the other hand continue to wear shoes inside. GRRRR.
11.gif

basil

Brilliant_Rock
No shoes, though this is new since meeting my Chinese-American fiance
1.gif

My parents wear shoes in the house all the time. I never see my dad walk around without shoes on, and my mom will generally take her shoes off when sitting at the couch. I started doing it when I was living with fiance, but then just continued it myself. It really makes a huge difference in how dirty the floor gets, and the wear and tear on it. Bonus is that I don''t lose my shoes around the house anymore, cause they''re always by the door! I have a pair of cork soled clogs that I wear when I need some arch support, but I never wear them outside.

That said, I can''t quite get used to taking off my shoes when I go to someone else''s house. Seems overly familiar or something to be walking around in your socks.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I just think it''s gross to trek outside when there''s other people''s dried spit w/ all sorts of germs, possible dog poo smeared across the sidewalk, and maybe even urine... and walk right into the house. I like sitting on my floor and I sometime read on the floor. I don''t want that disgusting stuff all over me!
14.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we always took shoes off in our house growing up so i take mine off automatically and our house is the same way, no shoes. if we have a big party or something and shoes are an integral part of people's outfits, then they can keep them on basically and we'll just clean the carpets the next week...but some people just remove them anyway! i think some people like to and some don't which is cool. like if someone TOTALLY refused to take them off here, okay....i would respect it most likely as long as there wasnt like mud on their feet, but most people are cool with it.

oh and random funny tidbit, i read that people tend to take off shoes because they think it's cleaner...but in reality your feet oils can stain the carpets...so this article said to wear socks because you actually CLEAN your carpet with the socks....rather than going barefoot and releasing oils into the carpet that might draw dirt over time. we wear socks in winter but barefoot in summer. a lot of our house is tile as well. but yeah...i don't like shoes in the house because of all the crap you end up walking through outside..that doesn't belong inside.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 5:35:14 PM
Author: ladykemma
curious - is this a snow/no snow thing? because my feet in shoes don''t get very dirty between work and home -- unless i''ve been working in the garden.

we have tile throughout, which is cold and hard. i have birkenstocks on feet now.
It''s definitely not a cultural thing for me, I am an Irish mutt. It''s not a dirt thing either and I live in Southern CA, no snow here! I just don''t like to wear shoes. We have travertine floors so I wear socks most of the time, but shoes, no way!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 7:54:50 PM
Author: KimberlyH

Date: 3/4/2007 5:35:14 PM
Author: ladykemma

It''s definitely not a cultural thing for me, I am an Irish mutt. It''s not a dirt thing either and I live in Southern CA, no snow here! I just don''t like to wear shoes. We have travertine floors so I wear socks most of the time, but shoes, no way!
Not for me either. Our family has been here for many generations but am Swiss.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have three kids so shoes come off in our back hall/mudroom. (an apt name for it). I sometimes will wear mine, but prefer to slip on a pair of nice indoor Ugg type slippers, so much more comfy anyway!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 8:26:58 PM
Author: diamondfan
I have three kids so shoes come off in our back hall/mudroom. (an apt name for it). I sometimes will wear mine, but prefer to slip on a pair of nice indoor Ugg type slippers, so much more comfy anyway!

ditto for me down to the ugg slippers. I grew up going barefoot most of the time,my mom was from the south and doesn''t like wearing shoes, but now my feet are just cold so I love my uggs.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Shoes no, socks yes.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have these micro fleece fluffy socks that I just love...so comfy...

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I grew up in a no shoes house. So, my DH, two daughters and I all take our shoes off when we come in. I think it''s more comfy anyway. I find it awkward to ask people to take their shoes off in my house because it seems a lot of people I know wear their shoes in their homes. But if they don''t take their shoes off, it just drives me nuts. I think my sister-in-law thinks I''m positively weird for not wearing shoes in the house. Maybe she should take a look at her own carpet though-yuck!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cind, when I think of what is on the street and what we track in on the soles of our shoes...I think it is a bit nuts NOT to change to socks or to indoor comfy shoes. I just feel like doing it. I love to come home, put on nice socks or slippers, put on sweats and take of my jewelry. Then I can relax!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 12:03:33 AM
Author: diamondfan
I have these micro fleece fluffy socks that I just love...so comfy...
hehe yeah i have two pairs of these and love them!! they are soo soft.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I never wear shoes inside. In fact I sometimes forget to take my shoes with me when I go out and have had to embarrassingly be barefoot or have been forced to drive back home to get my shoes
6.gif
We live in a subtropical climate so most of the houses have tiled or wooden floors and I love the feel of the cool tiles on my feet. My feet are pretty tough and my pedicure girl scolds me and says I should wear shoes more often. But having tough feet comes in handy I can walk across hot roads and hot sand quite well.
My husband is from the UK and grew always wearing shoes and really its only in last few years that he has stopped wearing his funny slippers inside. His feet are like a baby''s and I always chuckle at him when he steps on a tiny stone etc and goes ouch and hops around. I call him the Princess and the Pea because of his ''royal'' feet
9.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I am a no shoe person in the house. I wear slippers. I like the Isotoner ballet style slippers with the leather bottoms. I trained my son not to wear shoes so his shoes and mine are by the door. My husband and I got married in 2005. He wear his shoes and so does his 17 year old son. It drives me nuts...I have hardwood floors and the amount of dirt that gets tracked in is amazing. My slippers and my son''s socks gets so dirty. In my husband''s defense he does swiffer the main floors once a day and washes them with Murphy''s once a week.

As a guest, if it is my first time to someone''s house and I didn''t know that they were a no-shoe household I''d feel a bit weird about taking off my shoes. Most of the time if I am going to houses that I know are no shoes, I bring my slippers because my feet get cold easily even in socks.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to wear shoes inside, but DH (and his entire family) take them off inside so that''s what we do now. It does seem rather dirty now that I don''t do it anymore!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
We always take our shoes off in the house. Even if we come in through the garage, we always just line them up in the garage and wear socks or slippers around the house. I like to know that my floors are clean and I hate having to clean them just because someone decided to walk around with their dirty shoes. Especially when it snows. Imagine just coming in from walking in the snow and not taking off your shoes, YUCK!!!

The only one allowed to walk around with shoes is the baby, but she never really gets to step in anything yucky. Also, I am afraid that she might slip on the wood floors, so I would rather let her walk around with shoes than not.

Most of my family takes their shoes off when they come to my house, except my mom and it drives me nuts. It snowed here about two weeks ago and my mom came to visit and of course, she didn''t take of her shoes, so the floors were wet with melted snow and dirt, which made me mad because my dad took off his shoes and so did my nephew, so why couldn''t she?

I don''t know why she doesn''t take off her shoes when she comes to the house and I would never ask her ( she would take it as a sign of disrespect), but I have a sick feeling she does it on purpose to annoy me. I am a neat freak so I think she secretly enjoys bugging the hell out of me.

I mean, she takes them off in her house and we all do it when we go to her house as well, so I really don''t know what gives.

The only time people wear shoes around the house is during a party, but that''s understandable b/c I can''t expect 50 people to take their shoes off.
23.gif
32.gif

Diamond Luver

Rough_Rock
My family takes their shoes off as soon as we get in the house because of dirt. We wear our socks.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Growing up, shoes were worn in our house. However, when hubby and I bought our house 2 years ago, we decided no shoes in the house. We have hardwood floors, and the sand/grit ruins the floors over time.

However, I cannot run around without supportive shoes on my feet for extended periods, so I bought two pairs of New Balance slip-ons sneakers that I wear ONLY in the house.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Haha... that comment about 50 pairs of shoes cracked me up! My friend had a New Years Eve party in his new house in Los Altos Hills, and there were about 50 people there... shoes filled up the ENTIRE foyer, front porch, and up/down the stairs outside!! Trying to find your shoes afterwards was a total nightmare!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
No shoes in the house for us, either... ALTHOUGH... sometimes if we have to run in from outside/the garage/etc., in a hurry we *MIGHT* keep our shoes on, but ONLY if we were staying in the kitchen, never on the carpet.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results