shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping to DK with UPS

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I received my stone and I'm ready to ship it off, with my ring to DK. He suggested FedEx or UPS. I've had some problems with FedEx lately, and actually Alex told me he has also so I'm going with UPS.
For anyone who has shipped this way before, do you just do it all online yourself and drop it off, or do you have UPS actually help you? I can get most of the way doing it myself online, add signature required and insurance, but, then it asks me for the contents and notes it's asking for the label. I can't imagine I actually want to put "jewelry" on the label...would I be better off just having UPS help me? although I'm hesitant to tell even them the value of the contents. I'm sure it will be fine, it just makes me very anxious. I would appreciate thoughts based on your experiences. Thank you!

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask David to provide a UPS label for you. You could offer to pay him what he is charged. He will need to know how much insurance you need. Good luck!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don't do it yourself. Have DK provide the label and pay him for the shipping. You can't insure an unset gem or diamond with UPS, but a dealer can provide the coverage from a third party provider that you can't have access to.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Don't do it yourself. Have DK provide the label and pay him for the shipping. You can't insure an unset gem or diamond with UPS, but a dealer can provide the coverage from a third party provider that you can't have access to.

Oh. Well that seems pretty important to know. Thank you! I'll ask David if he can send me a label and I'll pay for it.

Thanks!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK will give you instructions to follow, along with the prepaid label.
I’m neurotic so I have it cushioned and securely and packaged /sealed in a small box before I get to UPS store to pkg in their inner/outer boxes.
some ups places will give you tape, others you have to buy it/bring it. Tape for attaching the inner label to the inner box, and I tape the smaller boxes to the inside of the larger boxes, along with void fill.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
DK will give you instructions to follow, along with the prepaid label.
I’m neurotic so I have it cushioned and securely and packaged /sealed in a small box before I get to UPS store to pkg in their inner/outer boxes.
some ups places will give you tape, others you have to buy it/bring it. Tape for attaching the inner label to the inner box, and I tape the smaller boxes to the inside of the larger boxes, along with void fill.

Oh I'm with you on this. He actually sent me a prepaid label to get my ring to him at the start of my ring rebuild in 2014. I wrapped the ring (that was in piece) in toilet paper, put them in a tiny box, put bubble wrap around that, put that in a small box with the inner label on it, then wrapped that box in bubble wrap and put it in a bigger box. So I totally get it! I think that experience is why I'm so anxious of doing it myself! (beyond that now I know I actually can't because there is a loose diamond that has to go.)

Last edited:

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Well that was the easy, I should have just asked him for a label in the first place, and WAY cheaper than the estimate I was getting. Thank you everyone!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
What everyone else said. That's how I shipped my ring to him. I just paid him back the cost of the label through paypal.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
When he sends the label, the instructions say to box in a box so package your items, with contact info inside, before you go. The UPS store does not have the UPS boxes you need so purchase 2 generic ones. There is a label that's attached to the inside box. Also, there is a form he provides but the independent UPS stores will not sign the form. They said the receipt is the same as signing. The form is for a driver.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
When he sends the label, the instructions say to box in a box so package your items, with contact info inside, before you go. The UPS store does not have the UPS boxes you need so purchase 2 generic ones. There is a label that's attached to the inside box. Also, there is a form he provides but the independent UPS stores will not sign the form. They said the receipt is the same as signing. The form is for a driver.

You know, now that you say that, I remember the form from last time, but this time he just sent me a label. Directions are the same, double box, one label for inside, one for outside, just know form.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

I think maybe this clause replaces that form "Tender this package to staffed carrier personnel only. UPS Store drop off limit is $25,000. Do not tender to "authorized" third party affiliates of carrier"

I think based in that I should be able to drop it at the UPS store?

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Definitely do a box within a box and a smaller box with the diamond and enough package so it doesn’t roll around freely in there. And it’s hard to find ups boxes, another poster said the stores don’t have them, which is true. You need to “order” the boxes online first, which is stupid. I had issues with finding a ups box in a timely manner and DK gave me a FedEx level fully insured, instead. I paid him for it but at least I knew it was covered the right way.

I would not have the store pack it for you since then, they would know the contents. The less people there know — the better.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
I think maybe this clause replaces that form "Tender this package to staffed carrier personnel only. UPS Store drop off limit is $25,000. Do not tender to "authorized" third party affiliates of carrier"

I think based in that I should be able to drop it at the UPS store?

Yes a UPS Store is good. Not a 3rd party “authorized retailer” but an actual ups store. Same with FedEx, make sure it’s a FedEx office or FedEx shopping center. And wait for a drop off shipping receipt to confirm receipt of the item so that you have proof it’s in their possession.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Definitely do a box within a box and a smaller box with the diamond and enough package so it doesn’t roll around freely in there. And it’s hard to find ups boxes, another poster said the stores don’t have them, which is true. You need to “order” the boxes online first, which is stupid. I had issues with finding a ups box in a timely manner and DK gave me a FedEx level fully insured, instead. I paid him for it but at least I knew it was covered the right way.

I would not have the store pack it for you since then, they would know the contents. The less people there know — the better.

Oh, don't worry, it is packed way better than it needs to be. It's in a small bag, in a jewlery sized box with bubble wrap, which is wrapped in bubble wrapped, and put inside another box with more bubble wrap that is inside a bigger box with more bubble wrap :)

I have a UPS store buy me, but, I also have a UPS hub. I might just take it to the hub, I haven't decided yet.

Polished1911

Shiny_Rock
I wholeheartedly agree with crazy packaging!!! All the layers. One, every box just turns into a box in the hands of whoever touches it. They have to manhandle thousands during a shift. It’s not that they don’t care (I promise you they do care about your items) but their brain shuts off on all the work they have to do. Two, a driver can pack everything secure and in the back of a van/truck everything falls and shifts. This is a recent example of the inside my van lol. Better safe than sorry!

51442982-BD46-4987-98B3-B022D97DAC41.jpeg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes a UPS Store is good. Not a 3rd party “authorized retailer” but an actual ups store.

It’s interesting you say this because last time I sent something $$$ UPS I went to a UPS store and they had no boxes and would not accept it because of the high value. They said it’s because they were a franchisee. I had to call around 3 or 4 UPS stores before finding one that was willing to accept it. Very frustrating!

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
It’s interesting you say this because last time I sent something $$$ UPS I went to a UPS store and they had no boxes and would not accept it because of the high value. They said it’s because they were a franchisee. I had to call around 3 or 4 UPS stores before finding one that was willing to accept it. Very frustrating!

Was it over $25,000.00? The UPS store does have a limit on the value they will accept.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was it over $25,000.00? The UPS store does have a limit on the value they will accept.

It was $4K and I think their limit was $2K. They said because they were a franchisee they didn’t have insurance for large dollar items so couldn’t risk it getting lost at their store. I asked them how I’m supposed to know that they are a franchisee when the store was all UPS branded (it was not a pack and ship type location and I found the store by using the UPS website locator for a full service location). They had no response. I remember it well because it was so annoying.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
It was $4K and I think their limit was $2K. They said because they were a franchisee they didn’t have insurance for large dollar items so couldn’t risk it getting lost at their store. I asked them how I’m supposed to know that they are a franchisee when the store was all UPS branded (it was not a pack and ship type location and I found the store by using the UPS website locator for a full service location). They had no response. I remember it well because it was so annoying.

Oh weird. I'd be annoyed too! I called my UPS store before I went and they said they accepted insured packages so dropped it off on the way home. Now the nail biting begins...until it's delivered and picked up by DK.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Well my ring and stone were delivered this morning (CA time, I'm 3 hours ahead) They didn't go directly to him, just like the last time I sent them a few years ago. I'm sure they are perfect safe where they were delivered, but, I'm still so nervous that I haven't heard from him yet! I know it's a Friday too so I shouldn't really expect to hear from him, assuming he doesn't go and pick things up or look at what has been sent immediately. Just ignore me! I'm just talking to let out some of my anxiety!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For those of you who have a UPS Hub in your local area, you can definitely go there and obtain shipping boxes. The same with FedEx Hubs. I know for sure that FedEx Kinko's and even small franchise drop off points do have boxes for the public to use and our local, small town, UPS Store also carries UPS boxes for us to take a few when necessary, although we do order them most of the time and they get delivered to our door.

You don't want to drop of high value packages at drop boxes or drop off operations. It is best to have such packages either picked up by a driver or to take them directly to a Hub where that can be properly secured. Dealers and vendors are happy to send customers shipping labels that have real insurance coverage so long as the customer reimburses their cost for the label. It is a lot less costly to use dealer created labels than to go it alone with UPS or FedEx. It is also much safer since you don't declare any value to UPS or FedEx and you don't need to be informed about their limits of coverage on jewelry and gems which is very low and limited.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well my ring and stone were delivered this morning (CA time, I'm 3 hours ahead) They didn't go directly to him, just like the last time I sent them a few years ago. I'm sure they are perfect safe where they were delivered, but, I'm still so nervous that I haven't heard from him yet! I know it's a Friday too so I shouldn't really expect to hear from him, assuming he doesn't go and pick things up or look at what has been sent immediately. Just ignore me! I'm just talking to let out some of my anxiety!

I am glad it arrived. Did he email you that he has it? I always ask him to and he obliges. I would send an email confirming receipt.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
I am glad it arrived. Did he email you that he has it? I always ask him to and he obliges. I would send an email confirming receipt.

Not yet, I'm going to email him now actually.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results