shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping charges....WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
I received the diamond from Whiteflash this morning, and it''s absolutely beautiful. Now, I need to get it to Pearlman''s so they can send it to Scott Kay for setting. Unfortunately, I have to have it there by tomorrow, preferably. So, I called a few shipping places and here''s the info I received:

Fed Ex: Insurance limit of $500 on jewelry

UPS: $50,0000 limit; $160 to ship to the destination by tomorrow morning

USPS: $5000 limit for express mail

I''ve heard of people using USPS, but I guess they were had more time to allow delivery. Man, I don''t want to miss my deadline, so I guess I have to shell out $160?

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I wish I had some expertise in this area so I could give you some help, but as a fellow newb, this is good (but scary) info.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I would ask Pearlmans if you could ship it to them using Fedex and their (Pearlmans) third party insurance. Should be quite a bit cheaper.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
I''ve got a call into Joseph to ask that very question. I don''t think they will allow that, though. He mentioned they previously had some issues arise due to allowing customers to use their account.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I was just dealing with this and it is difficult.

Check UPS again before you put it in the mail; they do NOT insure jewelry. They will insure other stuff up to 50K, but will not insure jewelry, currency, coins and a couple other odds and ends. I went over it with them about 5 times.

Fedex will not insure any jewelry unless you have an account with them, like jewelers have.

USPS. They are good for overnight up to 5K. They will insure jewelry and the overnight service is not cheap, around $75 w/ max insurance from what I quoted, NY to CA. But 5k is the limit on overnight priority. Registered is 25K and slow, but safe.

Good luck

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, registered mail is the way to send jewelry up to $25,000, but it can take a few days. You can''t do registered overnight. So your only option to get it there tomorrow is if they let you use their account and ins.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
I believe Jeweler''s Mutual will insure a loose stone for a period of time before it''s set. Give them a call. If the answer is yes, you can buy the policy online and email in your appraisal if you have it soft copy. The JM policy would cover the diamond while in transit, so you wouldn''t need to buy additional insurance and could ship it overnight by whatever carrier you wanted. Please double check this with JM though. I don''t think UPS will insure the loose diamond.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Okay, now I'm a bit nervous. I called UPS's customer service prior to shipping, and she assured me that the $50k insurance limit would cover a loose diamond shipment. This information was validated by the person at the UPS Store. So, I paid $169 to insure the diamond at its replacement value and shipped it off to Pearlman's.

Also, I'm a bit nervous that somebody could open the package along the way, since they know the contents. I've asked Joseph to inspect the girdle to ensure the etching matches the certificate and that the diamond is in absolute perfect condition. I'm so paranoid right now...

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
That''s a lot different from what UPS told me just a few days ago. Disheartening that there is so much differing information out there. Anyway in all likelihood it will arrive just fine.

I have a stone in transit via Fedex tonight. I was lucky as the vendor let me use their Fedex airbill for insurance. Let''s hope all our stones end up safe and sound at their destinations!

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 12:49:35 AM
Author: Beacon
That''s a lot different from what UPS told me just a few days ago. Disheartening that there is so much differing information out there. Anyway in all likelihood it will arrive just fine.

I have a stone in transit via Fedex tonight. I was lucky as the vendor let me use their Fedex airbill for insurance. Let''s hope all our stones end up safe and sound at their destinations!
Here here. I can''t really concentrate on my work right now; I''m so worried about the diamond. I really don''t like the fact that everybody who has handled that box knows exactly what''s inside. I don''t want anybody peeking inside and like, playing with the diamond and messing it up. Again, I know it''s unlikely, but these are the games my mind plays on me with this sort of thing.

blingless

Rough_Rock
I''ve shipped a few USPS Priority mail. Its not cheap with insurance but reasonable compared to other options. I''ve not had any issues. I''ve also received via fedex without issues. I''ve never shipped or received diamonds via UPS but I''ve shipped high value musical instruments all over the world using them and as long as everything is double boxed and well packed I haven''t had issues. For whatever reason they seem to be really hard on packages. My personal preference is for USPS with small packages. I prefer their small boxes to padded envelopes and I like the fact that they provide free materials.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I never knew I could be shipping my jewelry fed ex! So if you have an account, which I do, you''re good to go? I would much prefer to do that than use the slower registered mail. Do you know if there is a value limit?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 7:57:33 AM
Author: jazmine
Okay, I never knew I could be shipping my jewelry fed ex! So if you have an account, which I do, you're good to go? I would much prefer to do that than use the slower registered mail. Do you know if there is a value limit?

jasmize I don't think you can. beacon was able to use the vendors airbill to do it and meddlingkids sent his stone UPS.

Meddlingkids, I know it's nervewracking but i'm sure your diamond will arrive just fine. I must of missed it, which Scott kay setting did you choose?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
What exactly is needed to get a "Dealer" account with Fed Ex, does anyone know?

Also, regarding UPS, does anyone have anymore information on if a jewelry item CAN be shipped up to $50K?

Good luck Meddlingkids! I hope your diamond arrives safely, and I am sure it will.
This may make you laugh, but I had a friend who was a dealer and he used to send (when he first started) his very expensive loose stones via Fed Ex without declaring. We are talking several 1-4 ct stones in a package, probably about several hundred thousand value stuffed in random items, like when he shipped a client a hankerchief, or once he told me he had shipped it in a sponge with areas hollowed out. The stones were hidden within and sealed, but I had to laugh. he told me once he was eating pie and thought to ship stones within strudel. He never did, but he found that funny...

Nothing ever happened, and when he began to declare itmes, nothing still ever happened.

Registered mail is honestly the way a VERY large majority of dealers in the Diamond District like to ship. When you are in a hurry, and it''s under $50K or $25K that''s the issue....
7.gif

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 8:53:05 AM
Author: mrssalvo
Date: 2/22/2007 7:57:33 AM

Author: jazmine

Okay, I never knew I could be shipping my jewelry fed ex! So if you have an account, which I do, you''re good to go? I would much prefer to do that than use the slower registered mail. Do you know if there is a value limit?

jasmize I don''t think you can. beacon was able to use the vendors airbill to do it and meddlingkids sent his stone UPS.

Meddlingkids, I know it''s nervewracking but i''m sure your diamond will arrive just fine. I must of missed it, which Scott kay setting did you choose?

I received a call from Joseph, and the diamond made it there this morning by 8:40. Apparently, he inspected it and said it looks beautiful. I feel so relieved.

I ended up purchasing the Scott Kay knife-edge solitaire with surprise diamonds in Palladium. I was going to go Platinum, but my girlfriend honestly prefers the former. Gotta go with what she wants, right?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Meddlingkids we must be on some eerie parallel universe. My stone was received in NY this morning just fine. But oddly enuf I spoke with Pearlman''s yesterday about that exact same Scott Kay setting. I attach a photo of when I tried it on over this past weekend. Is this the one you are talking about? I really love that setting and Pearlman''s has a good price.

Quite a coincidence!

scottkaysideresize.jpg

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another photo of it along with my own wedding band - I think they look nice together.

scottkaysidetop resize.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
By the way, just found this on UPS' website description of Terms and Conditions for shipping with insurance of $50K.

Items Not Accepted for Transportation
No service shall be rendered in the transportation of any of the prohibited articles listed in the
applicable UPS service guide or UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service. UPS does not
accept for transportation, and shippers are prohibited from shipping:
(1) Articles of unusual value (as defined below);
(2) Hazardous waste, defined as a solid waste that meets any of the criteria of the hazardous waste
as described in 40 C.F.R. § 261.3;
(3) Human remains, fetal remains, human body parts, or components thereof;
(4) Common fireworks;
(5) Packages with an actual weight of more than 150 pounds, or packages that, when measured to
determine the billable weight, exceed 108 inches in length, or exceed a total of 165 inches in length
and girth [(2 x width) + (2 x height)] combined, or in the case of import shipments, exceed 130
inches in length and girth [(2 x width) + (2 x height)] combined. If found in the UPS system, they
are subject to one or more of the following additional charges: Over Maximum Weight ($50),
Over Maximum Length ($50) or Over Maximum Size ($50);
(6) Packages with a value of more than $5,000 shipped as a result of a request for service made
through the internet by a shipper who has a UPS Internet Shipping account only;
(7) Packages with a value of more than $1,000 returned via Print Return Label, Print and Mail
Return Label, Electronic Return Label or 1 UPS Pickup Attempt Return Services;
(8) Packages with a value of more than $500 shipped via a UPS Drop Box;
(9) Prepaid Letters with a value of more than $100;
(10) Packages with a value of more than $999 when Shipper Release is selected;
(11) Packages with a C.O.D. amount in excess of $500 shipped via a UPS Drop Box;
(12) Packages shipped internationally containing jewelry (not including costume jewelry) having a
value of more than $500;
(13) Packages presented for shipment at locations of The UPS Store®, or any Third Party Retailer
containing any hazardous materials requiring shipping papers, firearms, or ammunition;
(14) Packages tendered via UPS Returns Services containing hazardous materials (except for
ORM-D Ground packages, as set forth below), firearms, or requiring Delivery Confirmation Adult
Signature Required service; and
(15) Any other items prohibited by the UPS Rate and Service Guide, or ups.com.
Shippers are prohibited from shipping and UPS will not accept for transportation packages
containing articles that UPS is not authorized to accept or that UPS states in the UPS
Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service that it will not accept, when such packages are presented
for shipment at UPS Customer Centers, locations of The UPS Store®, or any Third Party
Retailer.
UPS will not be liable or responsible for the loss of or damage to any package, the contents of
which shippers are prohibited from shipping, which UPS is not authorized to accept, which UPS
states that it will not accept, or which UPS has a right to refuse. The shipper agrees to indemnify
UPS, its parent corporation, and affiliated companies, their officers, directors, employees, agents,
and their successors and assigns, from costs, fees, or expenses UPS incurs as a result of the
shipper’s noncompliance with governmental laws or regulations applicable to the package, or
UPS requirements applicable to the package, from shipper’s tendering any prohibited item for
shipment, or from shipper’s failure to comply with the terms of the UPS Tariff/Terms and
Conditions of Service.

Definition of Articles of Unusual Value Which Are Not Accepted By UPS For
Transportation

Shippers are prohibited from shipping articles of unusual value via UPS. Articles of unusual
value shall be deemed to include, but are not limited to:
(1) Any package with an actual value of more than $50,000;
(2) Coins, currency, postage stamps, negotiable instruments (except checks), money orders, unset
precious stones, and industrial diamonds;
(3) Any article that contains more than 50 percent by weight of gold or platinum, or any
combination thereof in raw form
, including, but not limited to, bullion, bars or scraps of these
metals.
UPS will not be liable for any loss of or damage to articles of unusual value. UPS reserves the
right, but is not required, to return to the shipper any package containing an article of unusual
value. Such return will be made solely at the shipper’s risk and expense.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 11:56:02 AM
Meddlingkids we must be on some eerie parallel universe. My stone was received in NY this morning just fine. But oddly enuf I spoke with Pearlman''s yesterday about that exact same Scott Kay setting. I attach a photo of when I tried it on over this past weekend. Is this the one you are talking about? I really love that setting and Pearlman''s has a good price.

Quite a coincidence!
Yes, it is indeed a beautiful setting. The one I have purchased is for a princess cut, however, so the surprise diamonds are in a square, rather than round shape. So you went Palladium too?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
meddlingkids, so glad your diamond arrived safe and sound. the setting is beautiful, please come back with handshots and ring shots once it''s complete.

Beacon, your stone would look fabulous in that setting as well. I just love scott kay designs and their high quality is evident when seeing them in person.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Nicrez, that is just what UPS told me. Looks like meddlingkids got lucky and the stone arrived w/o trouble. Whoever at the UPS store told him that loose stones were acceptable should be informed better about UPS policies. In a sense he should be refunded his expensive insurance charge, since that insurance would not have been payable to him if there was a loss.

Mkids, I have not totally settled on this setting. If I do it will be for a round and definitely in platinum. It''s a pretty long story, still playing out so I''ll have a post about it when it''s over!

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 1:18:37 PM
Nicrez, that is just what UPS told me. Looks like meddlingkids got lucky and the stone arrived w/o trouble. Whoever at the UPS store told him that loose stones were acceptable should be informed better about UPS policies. In a sense he should be refunded his expensive insurance charge, since that insurance would not have been payable to him if there was a loss.

Mkids, I have not totally settled on this setting. If I do it will be for a round and definitely in platinum. It''s a pretty long story, still playing out so I''ll have a post about it when it''s over!
Yeah, I liked the heavier weight of Platinum too, but my girlfriend preferred Palladium. At first I thought she was just trying to save me money, but she REALLY likes that metal. I dunno, I''m still up in the air about Palladium, but hopefully it ends up being as good as Scott Kay says it is.

BTW, what size is that round diamond in your picture? It looks HUGE!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fwew, thank goodness it arrived all right! What a beautiful setting, can''t wait to see the final product!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
That round is a CZ - I think it''s a 2 carat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results