shape
carat
color
clarity

She won''t have it appraised. She won''t inpect it under a loop. What''s "Quality" mean then??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 10/28/2004 5
6.gif
9:23 PM
Author: Hest88

Date: 10/28/2004 4:58:53 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
Speaking of Good Old Gold:

http://http://www.goodoldgold.com/oval_1_30ct_f_vs2.htm
Oh, isn''t that a beauty! See, CEP, you can easily buy the stone remotely then have it set locally. Jonathan can also probably get you the necklace and earrings. He owns a full-service B&M shop.

I tried that link earlier and it didn''t work. Now you''ve tried it and it did...But still...It won''t work for me???

reena

Ideal_Rock
oooh, very nice!
36.gif

Date: 10/28/2004 5
6.gif
9:23 PM
Author: Hest88

Date: 10/28/2004 4:58:53 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
Speaking of Good Old Gold:

http://http://www.goodoldgold.com/oval_1_30ct_f_vs2.htm
Oh, isn''t that a beauty! See, CEP, you can easily buy the stone remotely then have it set locally. Jonathan can also probably get you the necklace and earrings. He owns a full-service B&M shop.

OK...Now I see it and I have two questions...

1) Why would I "Easily see that I can buy the stone remotely and then have it set locally" here, as opposed to another place from this site? (In other words, I don''t see why this one is different??)

3) I assume it''s a smaller stone 1.3 (Versus 1.5 which I''ve been looking at) because it''s of a much higher quality?? ie: The F rating. Maybe it has a really good "Cut"? (Which I haven''t grasped as quickly as clarity and color.)

reena

Ideal_Rock
yes, it''s a little smaller, but the color is great and the numbers look really promising. plus the price is good. you could call jon at goodoldgold and ask him to eyeball it for you to tell you if it''s a winner. (i forgot to say this before but another thing you''ll have to watch out for with an oval is the dark "bow tie effect" you can see across the middle of the stone. most would prefer a stone where the "bow tie" is not very noticeable.)

if you''re set on something a little bigger, though, there are plenty of other candidates.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
1) Why would I "Easily see that I can buy the stone remotely and then have it set locally" here, as opposed to another place from this site? (In other words, I don''t see why this one is different??)

Of course you can get your stone elsewhere. It''s just a matter of who happens to have the stone that fits your specs. Phoenixgirl just happened to dig up this one, and it looks pretty gorgeous. You should think about making a decision within a week or so, though; with Xmas coming up a lot of jewelers are going to be swamped.

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2004 6:38:53 PM
Author: reena
me LIKEY:

1.60 H VS2 60(d) 64 (t) VG pol, VG symm for $8,199.36

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/cgi-bin/ErdRetrieve.cgi?rm=certificate_details&diamond_id=742443

also,

1.53 E VS2 61.6 (d) 57 (t) VG pol, G symm for $8708.14

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/cgi-bin/ErdRetrieve.cgi?rm=certificate_details&diamond_id=750420

you''d need more info, but looks good to start! there are many others on that site, as well.

Thank you so much for all your help Reena!!
35.gif

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Hello from another northern Indiana hoosier. I'm up by South Bend! I can tell you that a 1.50 (especially in Oval) is a larger size for Indiana. I have a 1.50 ct round and I get major compliments all the time on it. I have been ring watching for the past year around here and not many people have diamonds bigger than a 1/2 carat!! BTW, mine is a J in platinum. I bought my stone online but there is a great jeweler in Warsaw that only carries very well cut stones.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-whiteflash-pave-bezel-w-superbcert-stone.19875/

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I''m late to this thread but those last 2 stones reena suggested look great.... You seem to have really come a long way with all the great advice here. i have no doubts you''ll achieve a fabulous ring and your GF will love it!
1.gif

NYCbride

Rough_Rock
Christmas Eve proposer, are you willing to make a trip to NYC to find the perfect ring? I can give you the name of my fiances` jeweler great reputaion. He is excellent!!!!! He also has beautiful diamonds and will give you the size diamond you want for a very reasonable price. He also will ship it to you (he does this all the time). That way you will save hundreds on NY tax. Think about and let me know. I can give you the name and phone number. It''s a family owned business in the diamond distrcit.

Date: 10/28/2004 9:36:40 PM
Author: marriahlyn
there is a great jeweler in Warsaw that only carries very well cut stones.

Ummmm....BINGO!!! (Hope we don't have any stalkers here!!)

Where have you BEEN???

Wow...Now I've got something else to consider!! (I think I called this guy today, but his hours didn't work-out for me, and I ASSumed he was too small to consider).

Date: 10/29/2004 12:28
6.gif
0 AM
Author: NYCbride
Christmas Eve proposer, are you willing to make a trip to NYC to find the perfect ring? I can give you the name of my fiances` jeweler great reputaion. He is excellent!!!!! He also has beautiful diamonds and will give you the size diamond you want for a very reasonable price. He also will ship it to you (he does this all the time). That way you will save hundreds on NY tax. Think about and let me know. I can give you the name and phone number. It''s a family owned business in the diamond distrcit.

I can''t believe I could fit-in a trip to New York, not at this late date...But I''m in a position to consider working with anyone.

Date: 10/28/2004 9:36:40 PM
Author: marriahlyn
I have a 1.50 ct round and I get major compliments all the time on it. I have been ring watching for the past year around here and not many people have diamonds bigger than a 1/2 carat!!

Well...Now I''m rethinking the size of this thing again...

I''ve noticed the same thing. Based on the very few observations I''ve made. And, some of those observations I made were this past weekend at her family''s place. I''d sure hate to give her something that would make her feel uncomfortable.

Now...Where was that round, 1.3 carat PERFECT stone again???

19.gif

NYCbride

Rough_Rock
You want someting over 2 carats right?? Are you sure you want blue saphires on the side?? Would she like something more antiquey looking?? Where do you live??

Date: 10/29/2004 12:54
6.gif
9 AM
Author: NYCbride
You want someting over 2 carats right?? Are you sure you want blue saphires on the side?? Would she like something more antiquey looking?? Where do you live??

No...I was looking at something close to a 2.0 but decided that''s too much. And now, am thinking about stepping down a bit from a 1.5 because that might be a bit too much (Too guady for her) too.

I don''t like antiquey...Not at all. I live in Northern Indiana.

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Oh I didn''t mean for you to go down in size :), I just wanted to tell you that it was decent sized. I would wear a 3 carat if my husband would let me............instead he bought a new corvette LOL

The store in Warsaw is Bower''s Jewelry. However, he was $1700 (including tax) more than the internet for a 1.28 H diamond I looked at. I bought online but had fun having them show me stones under the microscope. They have a little diamond viewing room there.

If you want to look at settings,these is a super "posh" jewelry store in Elkhart called Images. They carry a ton of super nice yummy designer settings.........and they also have nice diamonds but expensive!!

Good luck.........now are you going oval or round??? Watch out for big bowties in Ovals. I think Ovals look big and are elegant but you can''t beat the sparkle of a round!!

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Also, I have an F diamond and I think it''s overkill for this area......unless you''re real color sensitive no one really cares. No one would ever be able to tell that my stone is a J (unless on superduper close inspection and then maybe not then.) I think that if you want the best bang for your buck........try to stay at G SI1. I went for J because I wanted bigger and had a small budget. My diamond blows away any I''ve seen around here except for my best friends whose is a 2ct round E.

Good luck.

Marriahlyn,

Thanks so much for the input!!

I''ve changed from only an oval to anything now that I''ve decided to step-down in size. I only chose the oval because I liked it and they were cheaper.

But, I''ve now decided that anything over a 1.5 is just too much for her little hand. I just don''t want her to be uncomfortable. And with your reccomendation on color, I might be able to spend a little more on the setting now. Which is a good thing.

I really do want to spend around $10,000.00 simply because she''s worth AT least that much!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2004 1:37
6.gif
6 PM
Author: Christmas Eve Proposer

I also understand the Cut can control the fire, or brilliance or whatever. But if I''m not mistaken, unlike Color and Clarity, I can''t enter Cut criteria on the stone search engine here when looking for specific stones in my price/quality range?
Sure you can ......here: » Search by cut quality

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you still looking for an oval ? ALJ's link leads to rounds.

There is no standard system of recording cut quality for fancies (no cut grades listed with stones in databases like Pricescope's). But you can still apply some standard based on numbers (AGA) or brilliance (IdealSCope or the like) on your own.

Since buyers cannot run a search for cut quality on all those shapes, the slution remains to choose a seller that sorts stones based on a system of cut quality that is meaningful to you. There is no industry standard, so what works is up to you to judge, still.

Even for rounds, only few top ones are ever graded for cut quality, with few exceptions to provide 'choice'. As if the only graded diamonds would be F or better, VVS or better. Cut grades are not often given to anythign mid range. Ever heard of a store specializing in AGS2 cut rounds ? Nope... they're selling "ideals" (AGS0) or stones with no cut grades at all.

Some sellers preffer to be even stricter than this "cut by numbers" grades (AGS or HCA style for rounds) and will select Harts and Arrows for rounds and top cuts (with their own definition of cut quality for everything else). Once in this realm, you will find some premium for selected goods. And not much relation between how much the premium is and how strict the selection.

Sorry, no shortcuts I can think of ...
7.gif

Thank you, aljdewey. That was very kind.
35.gif

And Valeria,

I''m trying to work through your post, but I must admit, it''s very much over my head.

And to answer your question about round or oval: I only chose oval because I could get a bigger stone for the money. But now I''ve decided to step-down in size in order to not go too big. So, I''m able to step up in "Quality" and go with a round.

Thanks for the help!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2004 8
6.gif
0:28 PM
Author: Christmas Eve Proposer

I only chose oval because I could get a bigger stone for the money. But now I''ve decided to step-down in size in order to not go too big. So, I''m able to step up in ''Quality'' and go with a round.
Makes sense
emthup.gif
If anything, there are more precise standards and cut grading for rounds. Not that the extra sparkle comes free of charge, but... at least choosing is easier. Even online.

Best of luck !
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results