shape
carat
color
clarity

She wants SIZE, I want peace of mind. . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
My GF now has her mind SET on a 1.50 stone. Fine. But I dont think I can afford a 1.50 H&A. Is there really that big of a difference between a regular ideal cut and an H&A as far as overall brilliance?
Some of you may know, I was going to look at a Solasfera, but I wouldn''t be able to afford any Solas. over 1 carat--- and she wants 1.50,Period. She said she would sacrifice a little on cut/color/clarity for that size (but not too much of course). Excluding color and clarity for now, how much would regular ideal and H&A differ on overall brilliance? If I can escape the price premium of H&A''s for something that will perform very, very similar- I''m all for that.
Anyone with opinions would help
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you stick to near h&a ideals they with proper angles will perform close to the super-ideals in many light conditions.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
That would be nice Storm, but Id like to keep it around 8,500 and under. Just by looking at those angles I could tell you picked it haha
9.gif
! It could be in my budget if it were SI1or2 though.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Both are nice, But I Gotta stick to my budget. . . . Must. . . Stick. . . . . To. . . . . Budget. This is going to be hard
9.gif

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
That would be nice, but thats a big inclusion in the middle there

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 2:18:37 AM
Author: Daniel B
That would be nice, but thats a big inclusion in the middle there

yea it is....

talk to Jon and or Tim and see what they can hunt up too.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
lol- just Emailed Jon before you posted-- I dont see any Regular Ideals on his site- Just H&A''s-- Do you know if he carries the reg. Ideals?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 2:23:27 AM
Author: Daniel B
lol- just Emailed Jon before you posted-- I dont see any Regular Ideals on his site- Just H&A''s-- Do you know if he carries the reg. Ideals?
he has a few but nothing in your size range.
click on diamonds then diamonds and go to select diamonds or something like that,,,,,,

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
yea- nothin

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2005 2:00:11 AM
Author:Daniel B

My GF now has her mind SET on a 1.50 stone. Fine. But I dont think I can afford a 1.50 H&A. Is there really that big of a difference between a regular ideal cut and an H&A as far as overall brilliance?

Depends on what 'regular cut' is...

She said she would sacrifice a little on cut/color/clarity for that size (but not too much of course). Excluding color and clarity for now, ...

Don't. The difference between those grades is likely allot less visible than you'd expect. Get to see some stuff if not done already.
As long as you get to look at (or consider based on enough data) non-branded diamonds, why not. It is not only that these H&A and all are so super special, but few other diamonds come with comparable cut grading details. At least until the new GIA reports come in - and they've already started (see the recent post by MDX). Chances are the super-ideas with AGS pedigree will become less 'special' over night
40.gif
(gulp)

Compared to those ideals you were looking at, the symmetry will suffer, but brilliance may not. And with this.... I can't say there is allot to loose.

Good luck
1.gif

I can't show you any diamonds
5.gif
but if anything turns up 'In House' - a seller could and faster than feasible for non 'In house' stones.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E.g.

from the ''In House'' search - 1.5 cts H-Si1 GIA, 9k

I thought it would be a good idea to look at Non-GIA reports (taking into account both the slack for grades and the premium), but ... is 9k close enough to 8.5?

There should be others around.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And... why not:

1.5 G-VS2 (EGL) - 8.5k

Carat: 1.52
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 61
Table: 57
Girdle: M-
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 7.35-7.45X4.56

This is not ''In House'' - but EGL gives some numbers so you could have a bit better idea of what to expect a step before the diamond is called in. I know this is not GIA, but G-VS2 is not H-Si1 either. Somewhere there should be some balance - and the price seems to acknowledge that.

Of course I do not know about these diamonds more than you see on the database (and that is what anyone has for now, unless you call it in). It is fun to look for these though
5.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know whether these prices include the Pricescope discount that Whiteflash gives. Did you ask? Also they get lists of available diamonds all the time. If you specify what you are looking for, they will seek one out for you and have it sent to them for inspection.

I got a great I color SI2 that is perfectly eye clean. It is an Ideal cut but not Hearts and Arrows. I waited a while because I wanted a large stone that looked great and did not care about the hearts and arrows. Lesley found me the perfect stone at a great price and sent for it. Then Brian discussed it with me at length. I bought the first stone they sent me. I am sure they or one of the other highly regarded Pricescope vendors can seek out a stone that mets your specifications. It does not have to be in their inventory as long as they send for it and examine it.

Often the best stones may not make it to the multiple listing because a vendor has a customer for it and it is sold before it can be listed. As to EGL, if I understand correctly many vendors will not take it back for an upgrade at the full price if it is not GIA or AGS. Although with the current bribery scandal at GIA, I do not know how highly regarded their reports will be.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I chose a 1.32ct and viewed it next to several 1.5 and 1.6 ct stones and could not see the size difference with my eye.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t mind me saying, your GF sounds a bit demanding. Emotions can run high at this important time, but I totally agree with you to stay w/in your budget, especially because you should be able to find a beautiful stone within your budget! Why are the specs so important to your GF? In real life, I have had many people work up the nerve to ask me the carat of my stone. Nobody''s ever asked me the color or clarity, and nobody''s ever come up to it with a loupe. Seems like it is most important to get a stone that is sparkly (aka great cut) and eye clean (doesn''t matter what the spec is, IMO, as long as it looks great.) Beyond that, get the biggest one you can, but what does it matter if it''s 1.4 instead of 1.5? I hope she will realize that when working with any budget, something''s got to give.
Good luck - hopefully when you do pop the question she;ll be so thrilled with the sparkles that she will not care so much if it is SI1 or whatever.

PS One of my best friend is a petite woman with a gorgeous ring. They were saving for an expensive condo and thus had a limited budget for the ring (much lower than yours). Her fiancee researched like crazy and bought it in chicago''s diamond district. Her stone is one of the most beautiful I''ve ever seen. It sparkles across the room and always attracts crazy attention. It is 0.65 carats.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
are you sure you have the right girl? there is a word thats coming to mind and its not pretty....................

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
He didn't say she was going to make him go over budget but that she wanted 1.5 period. She'd sacrifice on other aspects to get size. I don't think you can make assumptions about someone you've never met just b/c she wants a certain carat size if she's willing to cut back on other areas to get it without making him spend more.

Danile B....that said I would try to get her just shy of 1.5 with a great spread....or if it has to be 1.5 which I can understand (sometimes it's just knowing the carat weight)...If you get a super well cut stone I'm going out on a limb to say you'll never see the diff with your naked eye from a perfect H&A

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just gettin home after a long day. MMM thanks for posting that option. IMO its perfect for the call as it accomplishes the task at hand yet does not compromise one iota in beauty.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That 1.49 looks very good though man I hate to pay for VVS anything. I also don't like paying for anything branded if I don't have to.

I know WF also had some J SI's that are around ~1.50 or similar, did you consider those too? Or are they all gone? There was a new one that just came out last week that someone on PS snapped up right away, a 1.52 I think J SI1 that was ES for something like $7500.

For me I am like your GF...love size and don't mind going down in color and clarity to get it as long as cut is top notch. Not necessarily perfect H&A but ideal with great numbers, great light return, great look.

With your budget you should be able to find something or almost at the 1.50c range (1.49 is 1.50 basically and you may save a few bucks if it DOESN'T exactly hit 1.50) and keep it top-notch cut and eye-clean with near colorless. For me that's the best of ALL worlds.

Good luck!!

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
That 1.49 J VVS2 from GOG was my old diamond. Trust me, that stone is SUBLIME.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I had a really hard time letting it go.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 5:39:22 PM
Author: moremoremore
He didn''t say she was going to make him go over budget but that she wanted 1.5 period. She''d sacrifice on other aspects to get size. I don''t think you can make assumptions about someone you''ve never met just b/c she wants a certain carat size if she''s willing to cut back on other areas to get it without making him spend more.

Danile B....that said I would try to get her just shy of 1.5 with a great spread....or if it has to be 1.5 which I can understand (sometimes it''s just knowing the carat weight)...If you get a super well cut stone I''m going out on a limb to say you''ll never see the diff with your naked eye from a perfect H&A
"and she wants 1.50,Period. She said she would sacrifice a little on cut/color/clarity for that size (but not too much of course)." says plenty to me....

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone-
Maybe I made my GF out to be a female dog- she's not like that at all! But I can tell you this- she changes her mind a lot. . . A LOT! She changes her mind on everything: career choices, clothes, cars, alot of things, but thats all well and good- he treats me better than I deserve and is a kind-hearted girl.
So her latest change of mind is now to get perhaps a 1.35 range H&A OR,(ideal cut with slightly better color). Those two stones should be in teh same price ballpark.
This is like a whirlwind im in, and I'm sure it'll change tomorrow
9.gif
2.gif

EDIT: I really dont why we would be looking for anything 1.3x, because the only thing we would see is difference in price. Nobody can tell between a 1.25 and 1.35, right? My rule of thumb is in the range of .20-.25 can you start to see a difference

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 5:39:22 PM
Author: moremoremore
He didn''t say she was going to make him go over budget but that she wanted 1.5 period. She''d sacrifice on other aspects to get size. I don''t think you can make assumptions about someone you''ve never met just b/c she wants a certain carat size if she''s willing to cut back on other areas to get it without making him spend more.

Hell to the "yes" ... geez, the girl knows her priorities ... obviously they''ve been discussing this ... he likes ideal specs, she likes size ... within a budget it''s always a trade off. IMHO -- This is no place for virtual name calling or dogging on people''s future spouses .
38.gif
29.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ditto! :)

LOL...I know what it''s like to always change your mind...
That J sure is a nice stone though...and it has a great spread to it too...so it will look even bigger! Tell your fiance to look at the mm spread instead of carat weight!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi there, I guess I was the one who started off the controversy by saying "your gf sounds a bit demanding..." I didn''t mean anything more, or anything less by that comment that what I said. I was referring to the tension that you expressed about trying to get the specs she has specified within the budget you have set. Obviously don''t know the woman, have no idea what she is like, and I am glad she makes you very happy!
There seem to be two schools abt the e-ring - 1) a gift from man to woman and 2) a jointly made decision. I''m not going to even begin to go there, but of course, there are tons of arguments to be made on both sides!
Since she likes size and changes her mind a lot, I can totally relate to that. A few thoughts -
1) Maybe something basic like a tiffany style RB solitaire in plat or vatche x prong or regular cathedral setting (i.e. A SOLITAIRE) would be great b/c she could get a few different w-bands (eternity, plain, thick, gemstone(s), different shapes) to alternate as the mood strikes her. maybe get one w-band for now, and buy her diff ones over the years for anniv or b-day or whatever. She can also wear them as stackables on RH, but would have the versatility to keep changing around her wedding set. (this is what I am hoping for, for myself!)
2) OR, if the simple soliatire doesn''t appeal to her for the long term, maybe spend the majority of your budget getting that big stone she desires but for temporarily, get a cheaper setting (some pretty white gold ones out there for $200!) , then upgrade the setting when you can afford to in the future.
3) For someone who changes their mind a lot, go with something classic so it will be longer before she is craving a change!
good luck!

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Gail dont worry about it- Its hard to upset me, if you didn't mean anything by it, cool. Thanks for your advice too, BTW
2.gif

Moremoremore- what a name! I get a kick out of it everytime I see it
31.gif
Maybe I am being lazy, well, I am (just wrote a 3 hour long, 3 page paper and its 2 am) but can you explain a little about a good spread- the measurements-- if you dont have time a link would be cool, too
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results