shape
carat
color
clarity

she doesn''t like the ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dannyboi

Rough_Rock
A few months ago I purchased an engagement ring and proposed. She said yes but recently it came out that she does not really like the ring I bought. We are past the return deadline of 30 days. I'm not sure what to do now. I bought the ring from Tiffany's. Now I think I could have gotten a bigger diamond of similar quality for less money somewhere else. The setting is simple and I think it makes the diamond look small, which I guess it is. So, I guess I'm wondering whether I should try to sell the whole ring and start over or if I should take the ring to Tiffany's and try to get a new setting (don't know what their policy is on this) or if I should try something else altogether. Please help. I really could use some suggestions. Thanks.

DJ

bingbongbug

Rough_Rock
Sorry to hear about this development.

You're right that you could have bought a bigger, better quality ring for the same money as the Tiffany's ring. But what's done is done and there's no sense in worrying over that now.

If I were you, I'd do one of two things. Option one for me would be to resell the entire ring, and start from scratch (at someplace other than Tiffany's). Option two would be to send or take the ring to an excellent jeweler, and have them either redesign it (put a different head on it, add some sidestones, something) or put it into an entirely different setting. If she feels shortchanged on diamond size, maybe you could add some diamond sidestones to give her some more flash?

Get her involved in whatever you decide to do, so that you can be assured that you get something she likes this time!

Let us know what you decide to do. Good luck.

dannyboi

Rough_Rock
How would I go about finding a place to sell it? Also, if I decide to add some sidestones (perhaps another good option) how do I know what jeweler to go to? I'm in New York City so there are tons of options but perhaps too many. It seems overwhelming, which is part of the reason I went to Tiffany in the first place.

bingbongbug

Rough_Rock
You're right, there are a lot of options.

I am not sure the best venue for selling a Tiffany ring. Consigning it with a jeweler for resale could be possible, maybe someone can suggest someone in your area that would be good for that. It could take a while for it to sell that way though. You could take an ad out in the paper, see if that generates any interest. You could think about ebay, perhaps...

As for to whom I would take my ring for redesign...I don't know anyone in your area that does that kind of custom work, but maybe someone else does. Given my location and preference, I would probably send it to one of a few jewelers whose work I have seen a great deal of on boards. These are people whom I've seen posting and helping other people a great deal, and whom I would trust to not only do good work, but give good customer service. If you'd like some more info about these people, please email me and I can give you some links to check out, to see what you think

Hope this helps. How long have you had the ring?

student

Shiny_Rock
I visited Tiffany's at the start of my diamond search, and I remember they said they would exchange gold settings for platinum, and vice versa, at no charge. So it might be worth asking if they would change for a different style.

GiGi

Rough_Rock
What are Tiffany diamond rings like? Are they really that much better than other no-name diamond rings?

hope

Rough_Rock
I was at Tiffany's when I was looking for a diamond, and they told me that while they do not deal in used diamonds, they do have a one-time trade-up policy in effect.

Call and ask about it. If you are in a position to spend a bit more for a little large stone, perhaps she could pick out her own ring there and you could just pay the difference. It might be more cost effective than selling the one you have and repurchasing one of the same value.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Hope

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I would take the ring back to the original vendor (Tiffany's). Your chances are better with them helping you than anyone else, because they got your original money.

Perhaps they might bend the rules for you. It's possible. Just be courteous and respectful, instead of demanding. Ask to speak to a manager.

Rich

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
Hi & bummer she doesn't like the ring...woulda been convienent had she told you about that right after the yes!
I've dealt w/Tiffany's before, as long as your willing to make a larger purchase with them...I'm sure they'd be willing to work with you.
Ask for a manager and explain your dilema.
Good Luck to you...I'm wonderin, whats not to like?
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results