shape
carat
color
clarity

Shaving down eternity band that 1/4 size...ramifications?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since I got married, the two rings together on my finger have become unbearably tight..I don't know why other than maybe my finger is slightly fatter (though literally the minute I got married, they were both suddenly tight), and we didn't size the wedding band to be slightly larger than the existing e-ring which I have now read is more common and preferred?

Anyhow, it's come to the point where my knuckle seems to swell as I take them on and off since they are both so tight--and my knuckle skin is splitting which is pretty painful and then I can't wear the rings while it heals. It splits about once a month, which is starting to become a real drag and I swear that the knuckle is also getting small callouses on the sides which of course make it only harder to get the rings on and off. I only take them off at night..so once a day.

So last nite Greg said for me to just take in the rings to our local Willow Glen jeweler and see what they can do about sizing them up that 1/4 size that I have heard is possible to do by somehow shaving down the insides or something? I am unclear on HOW they do it and know there are previous posts to that effect but they are jumbled around so if a few experts can comment, aka Garry and/or others on how this may be done, and also what ramifications (if any) this exposes my ring and/or small stones to. Does it compromise the setting? Is it really not recommended? Should I just have the rings entirely resized? Do you think that the 1/4 size will actually assist from what I have noted?

I really want to get this done but don't want to rush into anything that will compromise the rings or the design or the melee safety. I'd prefer to get some comments from people here before I go into the jeweler and ask them what they think.

Thanks!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Mara,

It’s done by grinding, filing or sanding away a little bit of the material from the inside surface of the ring, thereby making the ring a little bit thinner. Whether or not this is a good idea depends entirely on the design of the ring. In some cases it’s no problem while in others it will do irreparable damage to the structure of the piece. You may also have an issue with the inside edge of the ring being sharp and not sliding smoothly against your skin. This can be easily dealt with and just might fix your problem. Your jeweler should be able to tell you.

Given your description, I kind of doubt ¼ size is going to be enough to resolve your problem.

Sizing it by cutting and inserting a piece has the same sort of issues that revolve around the design. Sometimes this is easy and sometimes it’s wickedly difficult. This really is one to ask the jeweler who is going to be doing the work.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's an image of the e-ring, w-ring is the same style of eternity which is 4 prong set each melee stone. Don't know if you can see the design of the ring well enough to give an opinion on if it would be possible to have the slight mod done easily or if it would be too risky. I appreciate the comments here as well as the ones from the local jeweler, because if they tell me 'oh that's a cinch, no problem, no ramifications' but a few red flags are raised here, I'd rather err on the side of more info than just the local jeweler's opinion. Call me a cynic.
9.gif

Also part of the problem I think is that the w-ring is not as smooth on the inside as my e-ring is, so that slides more roughly along my finger regardless...is there a way to have the jeweler smooth out the inside to make it more comfortable like my e-ring was? Possibly a bit more polishing?

I hate having to address this now because later this year, maybe fall, I am planning to upgrade my e-ring stone, and was hoping to just have WF address the sizing issue and the upgrade all at the same time and maybe enlarge the rings entirely, but I don't think I can wait that long...I'm so tired of the tedious finger splitting and it HURTS!!
7.gif

Mara-New-ediamonda.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I think I have the "cure" for the finger split:

You must not wait another minute- You must upgrade now and have WF address the issue with the two rings.

(besides- if you wait longer prices are only going up, up and away!!!)
emotion-14.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
That was my thought exactly!!!! Perhaps NOW is the time!!!!!
emthup.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That one doesn''t look like too much of a problem but it will depend on how deep the stones are. Polishing on the inside will almost certainly help and will not be difficult. It should have been done originally.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I think this one will do. Ofcourse you may have to brown bag it for awhile.
2.gif
Hell, who needs to eat, really!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
cflutist had this exact procedure done on an eternity band and they were able to bring it down a 1/4 of a size very successfully. Sounds like you need an expert opinion on your rings'' ability to undergo this procedure and if it can be done, then a skilled jeweler to do it. The polishing alone may help also.

Of course, I like Nan''s idea of this situation demanding an immediate upgrade. I mean, isn''t it obvious?
31.gif
11.gif
2.gif
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course an upgrade is in order! Isn't it always? However, I need some TIME to work on the dear hubby and we have a few other financial goals to reach before I can begin to really make some progress on the upgrade discussion.
9.gif
Though of course I love the way you gals think.
31.gif

SO unfortunately in the meantime, I must figure out the solution for the time-being...I'll see what the WG jewelers say...I can't really put my rings on right now, so I figure I will wait a few days to head in and ask, because if they want me to put on the rings to determine if the 1/4 will even assist, it ain't gonna happen!
40.gif
It's me and neosporin all the way for the rest of the weekend!

Thanks for your help Neil...keeping fingers crossed they can do something to alleviate the immediate problem. The upgrade is another matter.
20.gif

Though I have already given WF the notice to keep me in mind on future Antwerp visits... it may take a LONG time to find the elusive H&A ~1.85c-2c H SI2 stone I want. I haven't seen one of those on their site in the last 6-9 months!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Mara,

I wanted to let you know that I''m kind of in the same situation as you. I comfortably wear a 5 1/2 ring on both ring fingers, but on the left, it is always slighly loose, resulting in a lot of spin with my e-ring. So I had it sized to a 5 1/4 (which my fiance then told the jeweler to make it even a tad smaller, damn him). So when it is on my finger, it is perfect. But throughout the day, there are many times that I cannot get my rings off without really hurting myself (at first I even had little scabs or dry patches on the sides of my ring finger too).

So I finally figured out that I can''t take my rings off everytime I want to wash my hands, etc. It''s silly, but I kind of have to plan ahead. I usually sleep in my rings which means that at 6 am when I want to take a shower, I can''t take them off. So if I want them off, I have to remove them a while before bed. Not even right before bed, but when my hands are really cold. So all this snow and 1 degree temperatures here in the Northeast have been perfect for me lately!! (well at least for my rings and hands)

So the whole point of my rambling here is that maybe until you decide on what to do (I do love the sound of an upgrade but totally understand ;)) you should try to only take off your rings when you know your hands aren''t swollen at all. Of course, many women''s hands never swell, so if that''s the case, forget my whole speech!!

Good luck!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, took the rings in today and they resized them within 5 minutes to 6.25. She noted they could even take them to 6.5 if I discovered that the 6.25 was not working, but I wanted to err on the side of caution and test this out for a while. It already feels better which makes me hope that was all that needed to be done.

I went to Willow Glen Jewelers, they didn't even charge me! I take my rings there all the time to have them tighened and cleaned and they are always very nice and even let me bring Portia in and they coo over her.
9.gif

Someday I plan to purchase from them...probably something small, like maybe that cutie little .56 H I1 EightStar they had last year!
9.gif
That is screaming my name for a pendant! Maybe bezel set.
31.gif

THANKS for all the advice and help everyone!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and I guess I should mention that the resized rings looked exactly the same, not even a whit of difference to me unless I look inside the band, and the ''holes'' where the melee are set look a very tiny bit bigger (easier for cleaning I guess!), but the rings otherwise look the same...thank goodness!

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, so happy to hear that worked out for ya!!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
we didn''t size the wedding band to be slightly larger than the existing e-ring which I have now read is more common and preferred?

REALLY? Why would you do that?

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Mara you''re fingers didn''t get fatter. Its when you put two rings together on one hand they get tighter. I don''t know why it occurs, it just does. Wonder if it''s due to the extra width of the second ring. If anyone knows please help explain. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results