shape
carat
color
clarity

shaving down a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WeddingGirl150

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''ve got two questions related to shaving down the inside of a ring to make it bigger. The wedding band I''m infatuated with is an engraved band from Tiffany''s, one that can''t easily be resized by cutting (would mess up the unity of the pattern). Incidentally, here is the link to the picture: http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/wedband_legacy.aspx?

Because my finger size is just under a 5 (probably about a 4 and 7/8), I''m thinking of buying the 4.5 size at Tiffany''s and shaving the inside to bring the ring up in size; I''d really like it to fit right. My question is how much shaving will shrink the height (profile?) of the ring. I actually WANT the profile to be quite a bit thinner -- this is pretty "tall," in my opinion, and right now the top bumps slightly against the diamond in my high-set engagement ring, which I''d like to stop. But I don''t want the ring to completely disappear, either, with a lot of shaving. In short: does shaving as much as a half size change the thickness/height of the ring dramatically? How much, in this case?

My second question is whether or not anyone knows if Tiffany''s would even be willing to resize a ring by shaving the inside. I''ve heard it''s a pretty easy process, but every time I''ve talked to the Tiffany''s salespeople, they''ve been pretty uppity about the thought of resizing (they want me to just take the 5 and get sizing beads if I need them). I haven''t asked them about whether or not they "do shaving" yet; I wanted to have my arsenal of facts before I went back there!

Thanks for your advice and thoughts!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess i''m a little confused..if you buying it from Tiffany''s why not just have them make it in your size? they should be able to size in increments that small. Just order a 4.75 or a 4.75 plus so it''s a touch bigger. you''d have to ask Tiffany''s if they''d be willing to shave it..

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 11:57:58 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I guess i''m a little confused..if you buying it from Tiffany''s why not just have them make it in your size? they should be able to size in increments that small. Just order a 4.75 or a 4.75 plus so it''s a touch bigger. you''d have to ask Tiffany''s if they''d be willing to shave it..
This seems more logical to me as well, there are threads here of people who have ordered quarter sizes from tiffany''s. As far as it looking too tall...Since the ring is not very wide, the height may be needed to keep the structural integrity of the ring. I douct tiffany''s would shave it, but it''s worth an ask.

I wouldn''t have someone else shave the ring however, because then the piece would probably not be under warrenty at tiffany''s anymore and it would affect the value of the ring since it is a designer piece.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
adding a couple very thin strips of metal inside a ring is the way to proceed. Years from now you will likely have a somewhat larger finger. I hope you keep trim and fit, but many people do gain a little or their knuckles enlarge. If you put strips inside then someone can readily remove them. It is worse to plan on making a ring thinner as fingers increase in size with age.

You do not need sizing balls. Get a very thin lining put inside to do the job correctly and beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results