shape
carat
color
clarity

Shared prong eternity - better handmade or cast?

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
Sorry everyone, there are a few different topics floating around from me at the moment, I am desperately trying to fine tune my requriements for my wedding bands, which have been orderd but deposit not paid yet, so need to make any changes now!

2 x platinum bands 3/4 eternity shared prongs - 0.06ct stones - approx 17-18 stones.

Do you think eternity bands are better handmade or cast? I have the option of having it done either way. I chose handmade, for better density of the metal, and I think this would be best, but the jeweller told me he prefers cast because they can get it 100% perfect... I am quite confident with this jeweller, he has done a lot of work for another friend of mine and it is lovely... i just need some other opinions so I know i am on the right track...

Thank you - Thank you - Thank You!!!!

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
So, handmade could make for uneven prongs? Sorry, this is all still pretty new to me...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the skill of the benchman. I wouldn't do it unless they can show you examples of ones they have made. I understand why you want to have it made locally, but it is so risky with custom and the fact that you usually can't return them if you don't like them. We have the benefit here of seeing highly magnified pictures of rings made by various people, so we can order with some confidence about a finished product. I'd want to see one they have handmade and one that is cast and look at both with a loupe to see if the prongs are like you want them.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely look at other bands the jeweler has made. I'd most likely chose cast as well b/c like diamondseeker I'm super picky about the prongs being even and it does required a very skilled bench to accomplish that with a handmade ring. There are only a couple designers I'd even let attempt on for me. But, if you can see the finished work and you like it then it may work fine. Double check the return policy though or what they will do if you are not 100% satisfied with the finished product.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like handmade things but that's sort of my preference and it's sort of a slippery word. Be sure you know what they mean by handmade. That said, it's possible with a computer and casting to make things that have a more 'machined' look in terms of symmetry and the like so if that's your standard, go with the CAD. It's rather like buying a painting of our wife. The very best painters can make an image that looks a lot like a photograph but even a mediocre photographer can make an image that's more 'realistic'. If that's your standard, buy a photograph. They're usually cheaper too. On the other hand, if you want a piece of artwork, you may do better with a painter.

It's also worth noting that there is a wide range in the quality of work for both paths. Fabrication is a more unusual skill and it takes a bit more time, which is why fewer and fewer people are doing it and CAD has tons of people who are reasonably good but remarkably few masters. A crappy job will be a crappy job no matter what tools the craftsman is using. Choose your craftsman first, and then follow their advice on what they think is the best path to your desired result.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi lottapalooza,
As Denverappraiser said, hand made is a slippery word for many. I'm perplexed with what your jeweler says that a hand made piece would have uneven prongs. Maybe you could have him elaborate a bit further. A real hand made piece would have very even prongs, superior to a cast piece. The prongs should be very even and will be stronger than their cast counterparts. The amount of time it would take the jeweler to manufacture the piece though will be an order of magnitude more than a cast version, therefore the hand forged piece would be more expensive.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suspect your jeweler might have a different deifnition of hand made than the experts here have expressed?

I would only get handmade from certain vendors who had proven their skills.

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock

Hi Victor, thanks for popping in. I think I should clarify a couple of things... the person I have been dealing with is the manager of the shop, but he isn't the actual jeweller who is doing my work. Also, he didn't say that the ring would have uneven prongs - I was just wondering whether I should be worried about that? What he did say is that to keep in mind there are always small discrepancies with handmade pieces, but he also said that cads are not 100% perfect all of the time.

I think I might actually and email him and say that whilst I understand there could be minor discrapancies, I want it agreed that if I am not happy with the quality of the work, that it will be redone. What do you think?

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
I might also just add that I have seen quite a few pics of their handmade work (in this setting) and I truly think it is lovely. I also got to try on a eternity ring instore that one of the sales girls had on (she had had it made through them) and it was beautiful... Oh I hope it is all going to be ok...

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
Sorry, one more last thing to add.

I believe it is handmade in the true sense of the word - can someone break this down for me? I know that they roll the metal through the pressing thing... sorry, I can not think of a better way to describe it!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results