shape
carat
color
clarity

Share your favorite purveyors of fine leathergoods

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I have a confession y'all.

I'm a vegetarian who loves fine leather!

Let us discuss your favorite makers of shoes/bags/luggage/saddles/lord know what else. I'm especially interested to learn about brands that are really high quality for the money. I don't want a birkin, I just want accessories so spectacularly well crafted I only need to buy them once. I just sprung for a Mulholland Safari Bag for all the trips I've been taking on these wee little single prop cessnas. :errrr: Actually got it 30% less than retail from J. Peterman so I'm hoping the quality really is such that it's the last carry-on I buy. I picked up a $34 Kathy Van-whoever "designer" carry-on 8 months ago from Ross and it's already fraying so I hope this was a wise purchase. For 10x the price it better last more than 10x as long. Also thinking of getting a Filson laptop bag for my husband's b-day.

Other guilty pleasure is coach shoes...the Italian made ones...not the canvas logo covered ones made in a SE Asia sweatshop.

Safari Bag.jpg

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Kelpie,

I'm so with you on one quality purchase but make it last forever.. this is a Celine handbag.. ten years and going strong. I don't have the patience to shop that often but when I do I try to scoop up stuff that will last for ages. It may look impulsive, as I will gather up a few at once, but everything I buy is going to last

this is such a great idea for a thread, and your bag is gorgeous! ....

Celine2.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
That handbag is a classic! Thank you, I did not know about Celine. I'm off to stalk some gently used ones on eBay! Fortunately so many woman buy a zillion bags then tire of them after they carry them a few times!

Anyone have thoughts on the quality of Mulberry bags? There is one I love but jeez they are steep even used. I won't blow money on a name, the quality has to be reflected in the materials, design, and workmanship.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would kill for a Mulberry or an Hermes Birkin. I currently rotate between two Linea Pelle Dylan Zip Totes. The leather is fantastic. I also have owned a Leibeskind which was also amazing leather and workmanship, both under $500 price point.

I own some TUMI Wallets which are phenomenal.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I got my husband a pair of shoes from these guys;

http://www.newandlingwood.com/category.php?id=6

and they really are amazing shoes. Every little bit of them are handmade, and they are just beautiful. My MIL had purchased a pair of handmade leather shoes for him over 35 years ago, and they slowly wore out about 5 years ago (we never sent them in for touch ups, and we should have). But she's passed away and the onus was on me to buy him a new pair. I tried buying him cheap shoes, they were still around $100, and they fell apart. So I searched around and found New & Lingwood. They have a sale once a year, just before Christmas, so I got him a nice pair for under $400, which is a steal. They are very polite, but you have to speak to someone on the phone, they are still (!) not used to internet sales.

For a travel bag, don't discount Louis Vuitton. The covered canvas really does last forever, here's a legit dealer of used goods, no need to pay full retail;
http://www.fashionphile.com/product_detail.php?product_id=15897

I love your carry-on though, that's a beautiful thing. :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Roger Vivier shoes. They look fabu regardless of what I do to them!

cheers--Sharon

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
I am a label-lover, but I have to say Ferragamo makes exceptional quality handbags. They're not super popular in the Bay Area where I live, I hardly see any walking around, but I love them and I'm always sniffing my handbags because of that yummy leather smell!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tips. Vivier is intriguing. I love ferragamo leathergoods. I was pretty surprised I think the zippers on the luggage were plastic though.

I got my mulholland carry-on and it is faboosh! I also found the holy grail of purses in Joburg by Lorenzi. I love the way it opens with a frame inside so not too slouchy but easy access pockets outside.

purse1.JPG

purse2.JPG

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
Oh, wow! The internal frame bag is FAB! I love the color and the smooshy leather.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ohh that Mulholland bag is TDF! My colleague is gaga for the Fall 2011 purple dreamboat...... Must investigate carry on's :lickout:

cheers--Sharon

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1317950297|3034969 said:
HI:

Ohh that Mulholland bag is TDF! My colleague is gaga for the Fall 2011 purple dreamboat...... Must investigate carry on's :lickout:

cheers--Sharon

LOL LOL LOL please share what a purple dreamboat is, the first hit on google is a vibrator! :o

defendiendo3u

Rough_Rock
I am too pure vegetarian and loves fine leather bags .. Nice collection kelpie @ :appl:

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
kelpie|1317980293|3035211 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

LOL LOL LOL please share what a purple dreamboat is, the first hit on google is a vibrator! :o

I'm dying to know now, too!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CoutureFemme|1318006218|3035389 said:
kelpie|1317980293|3035211 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

I'm dying to know now, too!

Hysterical ladies! The purple dreamboat is the name I gave to a bag recently shown in Holt Renfrew flier--featuring Fall 2011 goodies. I named it the "dreamboat" b/c is was gorgeous! hahaha But do you think I can find it anywhere now I am looking? Nope. If I get to Holts I'll get the model name. Really was good looking! (batteries not included??) :saint: :devil:

cheers--Sharon

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
After an entire life without them, finally got some Frye boots! these feel great - the tall ones are called ' The Engineer" I love it!

Winter weather be warned - I am all over it.

frye boots.jpg

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
jainsley|1320345005|3053347 said:
gardengloves|1320285144|3052968 said:
After an entire life without them, finally got some Frye boots! these feel great - the tall ones are called ' The Engineer" I love it!

I love your new boots! Are they comfy?

Comfy?

I've squeezed and struggled into many a shoe and boot in this old lifetime for the sake of fashion , but nothing can compare to the buttery softness, comfort and inner structure of these boots.. they are a dream, modeled to the foot- super comfy, hardly need breaking in.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
gardengloves|1320285144|3052968 said:

I have the short Engineers and couple pair of Harness's. I love them, but I don't wear them as often as I thought!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I am loving all these good leads. I ordered another smaller bag made by a company called TreVero to be my "personal item" when I fly. I found it on ebay but currently they are only distributed by dillard's. Anyway the quality appears INSANE for the price, I read they use the same hardware as prada, the lining is beautiful grossgrain, brass feet, and the zippers are metal.

7_f.jpg

4_f.jpg

8_f.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Nice Kelpie!

I wear Cole Haan shoes/boots to work and I like the Air Nike Technology. Look good and feel great.

cheers--Sharon

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
christmas present for daughter.. Frye boots - Campus in a taupe color... hope she will like them.. I hinted around, had her pic her favorites

frye christma.jpg

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
Fantastic thread!

I was just pondering this the other day. Can't wait to hear others suggestions also. I have a 3rd hand balenciaga which I brought for what I still consider to be a bomb. Leather is gorgeous but the bag is not holding up as well as I would expect.

I was wondering about the mullberry bags. I have read on tPf the Alexa getting a bad rap for its poor quality leather, but I don't personally own one and my preference would be an Oak. My understanding is the poor leather quality is specific only to the Alexa.

I like the look of Fossil but they are a bit to pricey here in Australia - especially when you compare what you can buy in the states for the same price.

I am the same as all the other posters, I'm not so fussed with price as long as it is good quality.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
supergirl10|1323246586|3075945 said:
Fantastic thread!

I was just pondering this the other day. Can't wait to hear others suggestions also. I have a 3rd hand balenciaga which I brought for what I still consider to be a bomb. Leather is gorgeous but the bag is not holding up as well as I would expect.

I was wondering about the mullberry bags. I have read on tPf the Alexa getting a bad rap for its poor quality leather, but I don't personally own one and my preference would be an Oak. My understanding is the poor leather quality is specific only to the Alexa.

I like the look of Fossil but they are a bit to pricey here in Australia - especially when you compare what you can buy in the states for the same price.

I am the same as all the other posters, I'm not so fussed with price as long as it is good quality.
Pic of the balenciaga?

I just noticed a coworker with a new Mulberry messenger bag. Obviously I didn't paw her purse but the quality of the leather did not amaze me, looks kind of thin and not in a high-end lambskin kinda way. It looks like the finish on her bag will weather nicely though.

I'm still so thrilled with my Lorenzi bag, it really is the holy grail of purses.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I have a number of mulberries, including the agyness, the poppy and the jody in cracked metallic gold.

They are well made, but cracked leather really needs a careful touch.

Overall, I think every handbag lover needs at least one Mulberry in their collection. Several of my friends carry the classic bayswater to work and it seems to be holding up well. That bag is everywhere in the UK so I won't be getting it myself.

I think I need a Ferragamo for my collection now. Right after I get that Chloe :Up_to_something:

marchesa6989

Shiny_Rock
i have a bit of most of the "major" brands, but i always end up going back to chanel for timeless elegance and style. the lambskin is so buttery soft :love: and some of my older pieces have held up really really well, especially the caviar leather. my miu miu and marc jacobs bags are more for everyday life, and withheld a good bit of unintentional trashing. the marc jacobs mini stam is the perfect size - it can fit a small umbrella, long wallet, iphone and more inside (which is why i bought it in 2 colors... so handy!)

ferragamo bags are great too! my mom was always a ferragamo fan as their stuff is quality and really stands the test of time. she has vara shoes (the flats with the bows) from 20 years ago that are still in tip top shape! i recently had a pre-christmas splurge there and bought 2 bags - a small purple clutch with a mini bow, and a blush patent sling bag with a bigger bow. bows are tdf!

i've been wanting a balenciaga for awhile as well though, but never got round to getting one and after the main trend died down couldn't really justify buying one. hearing the quality is not great is good for helping me strike it off the "want" list!

tbh haven't really been following the bag trend this year though...been more than happy with my already quite large collection and haven't seen anything that really caught my eye. next thing to save up for is an hermes :naughty:

kittykat717

Rough_Rock
How about these? :)

377893_2320585184609_1548952096_31701347_402479517_n.jpg

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Lucchese and Old Gringo boots are my recent obsession... I don't even want to confess how much I've spent recently on them. They seem so reasonable and easy to "collect" compared to big leather bags.

I haven't been happy with the Frye's I've ordered. The leather didn't live up to the hype IMO, and my experience with their quality control hasn't been good. I had one pair of boots that was missing a rivet, and the replacement pair came with a scratched heel. Maybe just bad luck though.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Dug my "old" Prada slouch bag out of the closet--what a gorgeous bag. Remind me why I gave all my other Prada bags away? :rolleyes: So well made; timeless. No color fading.

My sister is disappointed in her Balenciaga--not wearing well. A friend complained about her Marc Jacobs bag also not being what she hoped. Live and learn.

My Bottega still pleases me--my husband and son have their leather goods also and find them of good quality.

chees--Sharon

PilotsWife523

Rough_Rock
IMG_2978.jpg

Hi Y'all. I am new to PS but I have been reading the threads for a while now. Thought it was time to finally join in. My favorite bag is my LV Palermo GM. It is HUGE and can hold everything.single.thing I carry in it. I have been known to carry the world in there. Love seeing everyones personal favorites.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I purchased my husband a briefcase from Jack Georges and it is well-made and has held up so nicely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results