shape
carat
color
clarity

Share A Song That makes You Yearn (or Long) For Something!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The Feeling Begins by Peter Gabriel. Makes me yearn to be on the ice.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so :oops:. I thought this was a Sheryl crow song. Love his version so much better. His voice good god. If he were 20 years younger....

Cat Stevens wrote it, but he wasn't the first to record it. He let a female singer, P.P. Arnold, record it before he did. He started out planning to be a songwriter, not a recording artist. Her version is not very well-known. Here is some information on the song.

Link...https://secondhandsongs.com/work/7370/versions

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cat Stevens wrote it, but he wasn't the first to record it. He let a female singer, P.P. Arnold, record it before he did. He started out planning to be a songwriter, not a recording artist. Her version is not very well-known. Here is some information on the song.

Link...https://secondhandsongs.com/work/7370/versions

Keith Hampshire's version is the one I remember and love the most. It reached number #1 in Canada in 1973. For many years I didn't even realize it has been recorded by anyone else (lol). Edited to add: Cat Stevens may have written it but his version doesn't even come close to Keith's in my humble opinion. Keith's voice is powerful and passionate at the same time.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keith Hampshire's version is the one I remember and love the most. It reached number #1 in Canada in 1973. For many years I didn't even realize it has been recorded by anyone else (lol). Edited to add: Cat Stevens may have written it but his version doesn't even come close to Keith's in my humble opinion. Keith's voice is powerful and passionate at the same time.

I recall this version...lol. Big booming rendition.....:mrgreen2: Makes me yearn for my youth!!

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, also, remember Keith Hampshire's version very well. For me listening to his version was like listening to Judy Collins sing Leonard Cohen, however. She had a more melodic voice than Leonard Cohen and when she sang "Suzanne" it was "prettier", but it wasn't as meaningful. I knew Cat Stevens' version even before I heard Keith Hampshire's version. I agree it is lovely and so is his voice. I am glad he recorded it and that his version, as well as Cat Stevens' version exists. However, I am partial to Cat Stevens' rendition of his song. I can enjoy both. :))

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I recall this version...lol. Big booming rendition.....:mrgreen2: Makes me yearn for my youth!!

Big booming rendition is the perfect way of describing it (lol). And I hear you about yearning for our youth. Can this song really be from 45 years ago?

Gordon Lightfoot has been mentioned a lot in this thread. His song Pussywillows Cattails was the first song that popped into my head. It’s hauntingly beautiful and takes me back to summer vacations and simpler times:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For my biological dad. He was in my life until I was 8 years old. We spent most of our time in San Francisco.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For my biological dad. He was in my life until I was 8 years old. We spent most of our time in San Francisco.

I thought that Sharon and I were on some strange, shared wavelength, House Cat, but maybe you and I are, too. This is one of my favorite songs ever. I have put it up on Pricescope before. :))

This is a big thumbs up from me! Magical.

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The Feeling Begins by Peter Gabriel. Makes me yearn to be on the ice.

It reminds me more of Africa or the Orient than of ice, so I am hazarding a guess that someone skated to this music in the Olympic or another ice skating competition? The music is beautiful!

Deb :wavey:

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I, also, remember Keith Hampshire's version very well. For me listening to his version was like listening to Judy Collins sing Leonard Cohen, however. She had a more melodic voice than Leonard Cohen and when she sang "Suzanne" it was "prettier", but it wasn't as meaningful. I knew Cat Stevens' version even before I heard Keith Hampshire's version. I agree it is lovely and so is his voice. I am glad he recorded it and that his version, as well as Cat Stevens' version exists. However, I am partial to Cat Stevens' rendition of his song. I can enjoy both. :))

So many lovely versions of the same song. It’s like Judy Collins version of Both Sides Now. Her version pulls at my heartstrings.

I was really surpised when I found out Keith Hampshire was such a good singer. He was a regular actor/comedian on the Wayne and Shuster comedy specials. I didn’t even realize it was the same person at first.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this song. I listen to it a few times a week and dance around lol.:dance:

It makes me think of new relationships and how there are usually always some baggage you've gotta toss.

I remember on my first official date with my husband (or second if you counted the non date outing that turned into a date), my husband's ex of over a year randomly called and he let it go to voicemail. I was like dude, what's the deal? If she reaches out again keep it short and succinct and state that you're in a new relationship and must cut ties and focus on it. Two months later MY ex of 2 years randomly texted "I'm sorry." Ahh the side eye i got from my husband Bahahaha :twisted2::???:. I didn't reply and he never responded again.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call your girlfriend
It's time you had the talk
Give your reasons
Say it's not her fault
But you just met somebody new
Tell her not to get upset, second-guessing everything you said and done
And then when she gets upset tell her how you never mean to hurt no one
Then you tell her that the only way her heart will mend is when she learns to love again
And it won't make sense right now but you're still her friend
And then you let her down easy
Don't you tell her how I give you something that you never even knew you missed
Don't you even try and explain how it's so different when we kiss

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stormy is missing his wifey4vr. Another week then she will be back!

You and Karen have a beautiful marriage, Karl, and you have a beautiful heart. God bless.

Deb :))

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
This song tells of longing and what might have been....

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Bowie at his best! And. He has the best bottom ever!!!!!!
He actually wrote this song for Mott the Hoople.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Gosh I love this mournful song....The Poppy Family

cheers--Sharon

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recent unpleasant online dating experiences made me even more wary about jumping in head first, and I can't help but think of Fools Rush In, the young Frank Sinatra's version.

DK :rolleyes:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg love this song but I'm partial to Kate Bush's version. Probably bc pf "shes having a baby". Not that we are old enough to have seen that movie :oops:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg love this song but I'm partial to Kate Bush's version. Probably bc pf "shes having a baby". Not that we are old enough to have seen that movie :oops:
PB, we have good taste in music. :)

I have never seen that movie. I love Maxwell’s voice so much. I think that’s why I always choose his version.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PB, we have good taste in music. :)

I have never seen that movie. I love Maxwell’s voice so much. I think that’s why I always choose his version.
I'm :lol:right now bc Maxwell's Embrya album is known to be like "aural sex" and whenever I'm single it pops up on my ipod (set to random by album) a lot and I skip the whole album, but when I'm not single, ipod hides it.:eek2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Black Day in July. So poignant. I long for diminished strife. (I am continually overwhelmed by ugly news and ugly images.)

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black Day in July. So poignant. I long for diminished strife. (I am continually overwhelmed by ugly news and ugly images.)

cheers--Sharon

Wow, Sharon. Thank you for posting this. I certainly remember the time, but I am not sure I ever heard the song. And I have heard more protest songs than most people. That was very moving.

Deb

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ever since I was little, this has made me long for a better place to live. It actually exists, and one day I shall live there.... It's interesting how many times this video has been viewed (27,342,705 views). Apparently a lot of people are wistful for a different place to live.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chattanooga Choo Choo - by Glenn Miller and Begin the Beguine - by Artie Shaw, basically any swing music but these two in general, they make me feel melancholic and yearn horribly for my parents, it was their time, my father was a swing nut.. But I long to hear these songs because it reminds me of my parents happiness when they were young.

Last edited:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my favorite song: "White Flag" by Dido. It reminds me of the grand passion I felt for one man in my life. I like the studio version more than the live version, but I do not like the video that accompanies it. The video with the live version appeals to me much more.

I have tried to explain the song to my daughter, who knows I like it. She has trouble understanding that a white flag means surrender, so that if someone does not place a white flag above his door on a ship, the enemy would assume he was still fighting and let his ship sink, let him die.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This song was dedicated to me by a man that I’m not fond of. It reminds me of a time when I was a different person. I long for that version of myself...it was before the total shitstorm of mental health diagnoses and breakdown. I feel like I was stronger then. I feel that I was more capable of being “the worry” in a man, where now I’m so afraid to be a burden that I try to be the perfect wife, mother, and person so that I don’t compound all of my very obvious issues.

Oh, and because this song sits perfectly in my range, I can sing it flawlessly. This makes me love it even more. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results