shape
carat
color
clarity

shape question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
just out of interest, what would you call this shape?

cheers
Andrew

LW0144C.jpg

outlander

Rough_Rock
Hi Andrew,
I haven''t seen a shape exactly like that before. It looks like it wanted to be a briolette(sp?). Do you have a name for it?

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
No sorry i havent a name for it . We played around with a few custom cutters when we first started ,the man who did this one has left the area This ones been sitting on the shelf and I havent been game to show it to anybody as the first question you get is what cut is that? I remember it was cut out of a (dogs tooth) crystal on the cross table hence the lighter colour to our usual product.

Cheers Andrew Lane

Georg

Rough_Rock
Hi Andrew ,
I would call it a free form,..
Fee form is very popular in todays modern jewelry if you need it , you can never get it!
George

2005spbusiness3rdtn.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely briolette... how big is it ? Are you makng the same from black spinel ?

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Hi
That sapphire is 1.7ct about 10mm long and 5mm dia at top. No we havent tried that style in Black Spinel,good idea!

Cheers Andrew Lane

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
I''d definitely be interested in that cut in black spinel. I like jet and mourning jewellery. I also like the use of black onyx in art deco jewellery.

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Crystals cut this way and set into necklaces are usually called vogels or pendulums. They are a great scrying tool for wiccans.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/16/2005 7:17:25 PM
Author: Emeraldgirl
They are a great scrying tool for wiccans.
Now that sounds scary. Does it hurt ?
Andrew,
That looks very much like a briolette to me. Check out this site for some neat briolette''s, a well designed attachment method and a possible market for your dogstooth stones:
http://www.briolettes.com/
Could you tell me how you take your pictures ? I''ve talked to several people who all take pictures of gems and jewelry in different ways and your pictures are interesting. Also, the stone that you''ve shown looks like it has an interesting wavy growth line directly up the middle, doe it really look like that or is that part of the cutting or the picture ? Very nice stone !

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the comments -

That particular gem is not the typical colour of our Reddestone blue sapphire but we hadn''t cut any dog tooth crystals and it was an interesting shape. The wavy line visible in the photo is zoning. Our dog tooth crystals often have a pipe through the centre and are usually lighter in colour at the tip, darker at the base.

We have just started trying to take better photos of our gems so still have a lot to learn about it - we use a 6 megapixel camera set on maximum macro zoom (automatic focus with manual settings) and a Gem-e light box. Had to get it in from America but we wanted to make it a bit easier and this seemed a good way to standardise the lighting of each photo. Some we hold up in the centre of the box using the grabber and some we lay on the floor of the box (as in this case). As I said, we are still learning about it and hopefully improving our photography.

We were thinking of getting a few black spinel cut a bit like the one in this picture - still discussing ideas with the cutter. Had never even thought of the wiccan angle (might have to do a bit of research on that one).

cheers
Andrew
www.aussiesapphire.com.au

BS-briolette.jpg

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/16/2005 8:48:31 PM
Author: Michael_E

Date: 1/16/2005 7:17:25 PM
Author: Emeraldgirl
They are a great scrying tool for wiccans.
Now that sounds scary. Does it hurt ?
Andrew,
That looks very much like a briolette to me. Check out this site for some neat briolette''s, a well designed attachment method and a possible market for your dogstooth stones:
http://www.briolettes.com/
Could you tell me how you take your pictures ? I''ve talked to several people who all take pictures of gems and jewelry in different ways and your pictures are interesting. Also, the stone that you''ve shown looks like it has an interesting wavy growth line directly up the middle, doe it really look like that or is that part of the cutting or the picture ? Very nice stone !
Not scary at all it''s a way of fortune telling that''s all. You hold the vogel/pendulum over something to help you answer a question (e.g. hold it over a map for where to take your next holiday and where it ends up pointing to is where you go or the old wives tale of putting a wedding ring on a string and wbving over a pregnant ladies tummy and the way it moves either in circles or back and forth can tell if it''s a boy or girl) See not scary just a very old divining tool.

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Funny you mention devining I that to help find our sapphires sounds like moonshine but it works!

I dont know where the origional picture we posted went , has it been deleted or just lost??l

Regards

Andrew Lane

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
grrrrr...........the missing first picture.......
for some reason lately, if a picture is in a first post, it goes missing. i''ll investigate.
feel free to post it again, as it should stay.......

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Emeraldgirl,
You mention using that as a divining tool. It brought to mind a documentary that I had seen a few years ago about people who were going into old mines and attempting to revive them using a number of different tools. They used metal dectectors in old gold mines, ground penetrating radar on some alluvial mine areas and in a tourmaline mine in Southern California they were using a diving tool. It was a similar, briolette cut piece of tourmaline, hung with the point down, and suspended on a chain. They then had someone who was into this, hold the chain over a geological map of this old tourmaline mine and were directed to dig in specific spots by the way that the pendant was acting. They seemed to get a fair percentage of success with this, at least for the documentary. It must act sort of like dowsing for water I suppose. Very interesting !

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Gday
I divine using two pieces of rusty fencing wire ,and cary two large pieces of corundum, if I dont carry the stone it doesnt work. The wires cross when you walk over wash bearing areas, more strongly over better spots. My theory is it''s a reaction to magnetism in the sapphire wash? But who knows? It helps to find a spot to dig so I dont worry too much about whether it''s crazy or not.

cheers
Andrew
www.aussiesapphire.com.au

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2005 1:44:21 PM
Author: Michael_E
Emeraldgirl,
You mention using that as a divining tool. It brought to mind a documentary that I had seen a few years ago about people who were going into old mines and attempting to revive them using a number of different tools. They used metal dectectors in old gold mines, ground penetrating radar on some alluvial mine areas and in a tourmaline mine in Southern California they were using a diving tool. It was a similar, briolette cut piece of tourmaline, hung with the point down, and suspended on a chain. They then had someone who was into this, hold the chain over a geological map of this old tourmaline mine and were directed to dig in specific spots by the way that the pendant was acting. They seemed to get a fair percentage of success with this, at least for the documentary. It must act sort of like dowsing for water I suppose. Very interesting !
That''s it extactly.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results