shape
carat
color
clarity

Shane Co Classic cut and Whiteflash A Cut Above Comparable?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynnchee

Shiny_Rock
Sorry about the double post everyone. I wanted to make sure readers knew what my topic was about in the title. I hope I don''t get into too much trouble. I don''t think I''m allowed to remove my own posts.

Anyway, I am a pricescope and diamond newbie. I''ll start by saying that pricescope is awesome. So many of you are super informative, friendly, and so helpful. Thank you all for the wealth of information. So, i am a hoping that I may find some reassurance here. I am excited, anxious and nervous about receiving my first custom Ritani engagement ring (also my very first diamond ring, ever)

It''s a Ritani Classic platinum engagement ring: .69 ctw single shared prong beaded diamond shank with prong set round center stone.

I am anxious and nervous, because, I worry if I have made the right decision about the center diamond.

I learned from Pricescope, Bluenile, and several other sources that I want to maximize cut. I want the best cut possible because that''s what gives the most brilliance, right?

So, I called Whiteflash and they found a .60 carat, "A Cut Above", G, VS1 for $2300 and the Ritani for $3700.

I wanted to spend $4000, so Whiteflash blows my budget out the water, but at least I reserved the loose diamond while I continued to shop around. However, I have never physically compared diamonds ever before. That''s where Shane Co. comes into play.

I went to a Shane Co. in Atlanta and they showed me over a dozen loose diamonds of varying color and clarity. They showed me on a white paper tray thing colors F - I, and the different levels of inclusions from VS1 - I1 through a loupe. It was very interesting and fun.

I finally decided that G really was my color because, although I could tell the difference on it''s side, I could hardly tell the difference face up. I was on the fence about clarity though. With the loupe, VS1 - S1, I could see some inclusions in the S1 and it gradually became more difficult to spot (with my untrained eye) as i got to VS1. However, between those three clarity grades, normal distance, face-up, I couldn''t tell the difference in brilliance.

When they showed me two of the same diamond (.60 G S1) in two different cuts, the "shane classic" and their standard brilliant, I was Wowed. The way Shane classic sparkled in the sunlight.. (sigh).

So, anyway, I fell for it and bought it for $2800.
BUT, with the EXACT platinum Ritani band for $2200

After I bought it, I realized that, perhaps I rushed into it a bit. Because, I never got to compare the whiteflash ACA diamond, which this forum holds in high regard.

I feel extremely comforted by Shane Co''s lifetime warranty. The same Ritani band would cost $1500 more at Whiteflash, and they could only provide a warranty on the band as good as what Ritani could offer - and their site was a bit vague on the warranty details.

If I bought the loose diamond from whiteflash, and set it with the band at Shane Co, I would''ve had to buy extra insurance. Since Shane Co won''t warranty loss or damage to a loose diamond other than their own. So, maybe I saved more money in the end?

I find it odd that the same carat weight diamond with a S1 clarity rating, would be $400 more than the one with the better clarity rating. I did Love the way the diamond sparkled, but these nagging thoughts keep bugging me that what if the ACA diamond was better! I guess mentally, I know my diamond isn''t clean, but physically the difference may be neglible. Maybe I need a "mental clean" diamond.

I''m not sure if it''s too late for me to change my mind on the diamond. I should have enough to buy the whiteflash diamond to make a side-by-side comparison. Then, go through the hassle of returning one of the diamonds and possibly going through re-setting and insurance and all that jazz. Is it worth the hassle?

Did I make a mistake? Does anyone have any experience between a Shane Classic and ACA?

Thank you soooo so much for your constructive comments and criticisms.

-Tida

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Lynnchee, others have already responded in your other thread, this might confuse. if your not happy, you can use the "report post" button and ask admin to remove one your threads . This way you will get more cohesive answers.
this is Lynnchees other thread https://www.pricescope.com/forum/topic86061.html

Lynnchee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 1:52:41 AM
Author: arjunajane
Lynnchee, others have already responded in your other thread, this might confuse. if your not happy, you can use the ''report post'' button and ask admin to remove one your threads . This way you will get more cohesive answers.
this is Lynnchees other thread https://www.pricescope.com/forum/topic86061.html

Yea! Sorry! I reported the other one. So this one will be the one i will be responding to.

Lynnchee

Shiny_Rock
The ring that I purchased is http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/ritani-jewelry/rings/14QQ1/24/

Though I didn''t buy it there, I bought it at shane Co.

The details of the diamodn I purchased are:

56% table 61.2% depth 43.1% pavillion .9% to 1.5% faceted girdle

pointed culet

AGS Ideal 0

Polish: Ideal

Symmetry: Ideal

Color: AGS 1.5 (G)

Clarity: AGS 5 (SI1)

Carat Weight: 0.598

Flourescence: Neglible

I don''t have the specs on the Whiteflash diamond.

Lynnchee

Shiny_Rock
Do you think the representatives at Shane Co will be upset with me by making them stop the completion of my ring? Because then they have to wait for me to receive the diamond in order to bring it in to compare them. Then maybe return their diamond back to them. I''ve bugged them SO much over these past few weeks, i''m afraid they''ll start to hate me.
7.gif

Even though, they''ve been super nice to me through the entire process.

Lynnchee

Shiny_Rock

Hmm... maybe i''m making mountains out of mole hills. I''m losing sleep over this nagging! However, I do remember in my Shane Co policy that I cand get my diamond appraised by a certified gemologist. If it appraises less than the value I purchased it, then I have 3 options.

1: Return it (then I can check out WF, GOG, and other vendors and compare)

2: Get the cash difference

3: Double the cash difference and use it towards a better purchase at Shane co on top of the diamond value.

Not to mention the fact that I can upgrade my diamond as many times as I want with lifetime warranty.

It''s my first diamond ring, so I can just put this on my list of experiences. It was still fun, and my diamond looks beautiful. There will always be a better brighter diamond out there somewhere. We have of our lives to find it over and over again.

I think I will get some rest. There are better things to worry about than a diamond that''s less than perfect.

Thanks arjunajane and kcoursolle for your thoughts and answers.

21.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Lynchee, just for the record most of the PS recommended vendors also have lifetime upgrade policies that are very fair - you may not be aware, but the majority are real stores with long standing reputations, that have also decided to trade on and embrace the internet.

As I mentioned, i don''t have experience with Shane co beyond the feedback I have read on here - if you''re interested to read some, just do a quick search on "Shane Co'' with the PS search function.

It seems you may have already made up your mind, the only thing I would suggest is to make sure you have it appaised before you decide to keep it - at least this way you can put your mind to rest that you got what you paid for - or, if not, you can return it and start again. If you like you can find a trusted independent appraiser using the "Resources" tab at the top of the page. Whatever you do, if you decide to appraise it, make sure they are independent- ie. don''t sell jewelery and don''t have any motivation to grade inacurrately.

Either way, I am glad you like your diamond and we would love to see some photos is you care to share!
And if you do change your mind, we''ll be here to help!

Lynnchee

Shiny_Rock
Thank you arjunajane!

I am still thinking about it. I''ve searched PS diamond prices and WF and the same exact specs for my diamond are at least $1000 cheaper. I don''t think I got the value I paid for.

Once the ring is done, I have 60 days to return the diamond if I am not 100% satisfied. You''re right, each vendor has their own return policy. So, I am thinking that I will purchase a loose diamond from WF and/or maybe GOG. Then, compare these diamonds side by side.

The only issue with that is, I can only compare them face up - since the shane classic will have been set. I guess that''s more important in the grand scheme of things anyway. If one of them turns out to outsparkle the other at a better price, then I will go ahead keep that one, and return the other diamonds. With eacn respective return policy, i''m only out a few grand for a few days once I return the diamonds.

Do you think this is a better idea?
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 9:41:39 AM
Author: Lynnchee
Thank you arjunajane!

I am still thinking about it. I''ve searched PS diamond prices and WF and the same exact specs for my diamond are at least $1000 cheaper. I don''t think I got the value I paid for.

Once the ring is done, I have 60 days to return the diamond if I am not 100% satisfied. You''re right, each vendor has their own return policy. So, I am thinking that I will purchase a loose diamond from WF and/or maybe GOG. Then, compare these diamonds side by side.

The only issue with that is, I can only compare them face up - since the shane classic will have been set. I guess that''s more important in the grand scheme of things anyway. If one of them turns out to outsparkle the other at a better price, then I will go ahead keep that one, and return the other diamonds. With eacn respective return policy, i''m only out a few grand for a few days once I return the diamonds.

1.gif
Date: 5/25/2008 9:41:39 AM
Thank you arjunajane!

1.gif

I think it''s a great idea!!

Lynnchee

Shiny_Rock
Yay! I think that''s just what i''ll do!

BTW, I called Shane Co about my feelings on wanting to continue diamond shopping. They completely understood, stopped the setting of my ring and are happy to give me the diamond to take to an appraiser of my choice and compare side by side. They are SO patient and SO nice!

I live in Atlanta and going to see Kathryn Kinev for the appraisals when the diamonds from WF and GOG arrive.

OooH, i''m actually really excited about it! Thanks everyone!
35.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lynchee,

I can offer a comparison between Tiffany and ACA. I can''t speak on Shane, but I am going to assume that Shane cuts are on par with Tiffany. If my assumption is wrong, then most of what I write will have little value. If my assumption is right, then maybe you will find some guidance here by analogy.

To give you some historical background, I have always been (and still am) a hugely passionate fan of Tiffany, not only for the brand but also for the quality and the art that comes from many of their designs. Before I got on Pricescope, I always believed that there were diamonds that were as nice as Tiffany diamonds, but I never imagined finding any that I thought could surpass some of their diamonds. So with that in mind, I got a chance to see the ACA diamonds in person in a whole range of carat weights. I saw really small ones, like 10 pointers, I saw some 1.00 carats, some 1.25''s, some 1.5''s, 2.00''s, and even a 4.00 carat. Using Tiffany as a benchmark, I would say that there are no ACA diamonds that are not *at least* on par with Tiffany RB diamonds. And I would say that I have seen many Tiffany RB''s that while stunningly beautiful, they were not as beautiful as the ACA.

I strongly urge you to get an ACA before you make the final decision. I have never seen more beautifully cut RBs.

Good luck.

Isabelle :)

Lynnchee

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Isabelle, for your well informed opinion.

Shane Co told me that their "shane classic" would outsparkle a Tiffany''s. However, I think it''s a biased opinion and I have never seen a Tiffany''s diamond up close. So I''ll take Shane co''s advice with a grain of salt. I hear nothing but praises for the ACA diamonds. I have been speaking to a James Ramsey at Whiteflash, and he has been really helpful too. I won''t be able to speak to him until Tuesday, but I''m going to explain to him exactly what I''m doing and what he thinks is best. I will also talk to someone at GOG.

All in all, my experience has been wonderful with tiny sprinklings of negative treatment from Solomon Brothers, and Bailey Banks & Biddle. Shane Co, Whiteflash, and Blue Nile all have treated me very kindly and been informative. I am looking forward to writing about my first time experience as soon as everything is finished! Overall, this was/is fun.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fact is, even if the diamonds are equal in cut quality, the Shane stone costs more than the WhiteFlash stone did and the WF stone had better clarity. If you overpay now, you''ll overpay again if you ever upgrade the stone. I know for a fact that both WF and GOG have top quality cut stones, so I wouldn''t even bother to compare the Shane stone that is overpriced. I''d call Pearlman''s to verify current price of the setting because they can be less than what is quoted on the website. If you have a quote from Shane with the price you mentioned, they may match it.

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
IMO, Shane is no different than shopping at Zales, Kay Jewelers, Jared and the like. I would run for the hills. If you decide on Whiteflash you will be in very good hands. If you choose to shop locally as I do, may I suggest Tara Fine Jewelry in Buford. I make all my purchases at Tara. Best of luck!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Its an interesting delemer. Why does the ritani band differ in price by $1500. Thats a huge amount within your budget.

My opinion is to factor in the total cost where possible as hard as that will be. Ideally WF should match the ring cost then you will have the best of all worlds.
12.gif

Its good that you can compare in real life and use your eyes.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Shane Classic ASG0 E VS1 and absolutely love it. I compared it to an F ACA VS2 and was more than satisifed that my diamond was of equal if not better quality (I did not see the certificiate on the ACA). The ACA stone was placed in an ering that I put on right by my ering so the stones were side by size in the same lighting. The ACA stone (it was at a high end independant jeweler) was about $1600 more than my Shane Classic.

Shane Co. has awesome customer service. I can''t tell you how impressed I am with them every time I shop there and 95% of the jewelry I wear is from them. Yes, you can get a better price online but you''ll find the Shane Classic will score as well as an ACA in the diamond cut advisor and I am willing to pay (in my case about $600) more to have a store where I can take my ering in for cleanings, checkings and no hassle repairs and exchanges.

I will be anxious to see your finished ring.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Well Lynchee, it looks like you are getting differing opinions on what is nicer: ACA or Shane Cut. I have only seen ACA versus Tiffany and Cartier. I haven''t compared to your source. I would say that when you are talking about the top .0001% of diamond cuts, then you really just have to use your eyes. This is where diamond personality comes into play. Each is different and you absolutely cannot just use numbers when it comes to comparing two equally rare and beautiful diamonds. I assume both stones you are considering score well on the AGS scale and both are really beautiful, so in that sense you really cannot make a mistake by sticking with your original choice. OTOH, if you absolutely must know which of the two is the better *for you*, then you obviously have to order the WF diamond. If that is where you are, then it becomes a function of seeing both and then making a choice. Let us know what you decide. :)

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 8:45:01 PM
Author: marcyc
I have a Shane Classic ASG0 E VS1 and absolutely love it. I compared it to an F ACA VS2 and was more than satisifed that my diamond was of equal if not better quality (I did not see the certificiate on the ACA). The ACA stone was placed in an ering that I put on right by my ering so the stones were side by size in the same lighting. The ACA stone (it was at a high end independant jeweler) was about $1600 more than my Shane Classic.

Shane Co. has awesome customer service. I can''t tell you how impressed I am with them every time I shop there and 95% of the jewelry I wear is from them. Yes, you can get a better price online but you''ll find the Shane Classic will score as well as an ACA in the diamond cut advisor and I am willing to pay (in my case about $600) more to have a store where I can take my ering in for cleanings, checkings and no hassle repairs and exchanges.

Why was a high end independent jeweler carrying an ACA? I thought those were only sold by Whiteflash.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was some small jewelry store in downtown Denver that had custom rings on display. I was rather surprised myself, as I said I did not see any papers so I can say for sure - that is what they told me.

Lynnchee

Shiny_Rock
Woo hoo! Someone who compared another shane co classic! I am eagerly awaiting both the G VS1 WF diamond and the E VS1 GOG diamond. I have to wait til Tuesday to wire the money. I''m thinking of taking a bunch of pictures and perhaps a small video comparing them myself at home in sunlight. I would love to post the pics and video links on here to share with everyone my experience and read all the varying opinions. Am I allowed to do that? I''ll read up on how.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2008 11:59:10 PM
Woo hoo! Someone who compared another shane co classic! I am eagerly awaiting both the G VS1 WF diamond and the E VS1 GOG diamond. I have to wait til Tuesday to wire the money. I''m thinking of taking a bunch of pictures and perhaps a small video comparing them myself at home in sunlight. I would love to post the pics and video links on here to share with everyone my experience and read all the varying opinions. Am I allowed to do that? I''ll read up on how.
I will be anxious to see what you come up with. I think no matter where you get an AGS0 from - you''ll be happy with it.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2008 11:47:59 PM
Author: Jelly

Date: 5/25/2008 8:45:01 PM
Author: marcyc

Why was a high end independent jeweler carrying an ACA? I thought those were only sold by Whiteflash.
Jelly and all - I apologize - I asked my DH if he remembered what they said that day and the diamond was a Hearts on Fire not an ACA.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results