shape
carat
color
clarity

Shallow Pear Questions

bbc779

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I'm currently in the process of buying a pear shaped diamond and setting from a jeweller in another city. He sent us pictures and some info of the diamonds that he had selected for us last night. Of the bunch he sent us, the one that stood out the most was a .70ct VS2. We spoke on the phone about the pros and cons of each diamond, and when we got to this one, he indicated that it was cut quite shallow, and that usually when a diamond is cut shallow it loses sparkle, but this one does not. The depth percentage for this diamond is around 51%.

I am a diamond newbie, and I've never purchased one before, but I trust this jeweller's word. He did provide other diamonds that weren't shallow, but when I asked which one he would recommend, he said the shallow one was the best of the bunch. I know that with fancy cuts you cant rely so much on numbers, but more so on the actual look of the diamond, because we cant see it in person and are relying on pictures/the jeweller's recommendation, would you purchase a diamond like this?

What are some things to expect with a shallow diamond? If we were to purchase it, are there things we can do with the setting to help it out?

Thanks for your help!

Q

Queenie60

Is there a return period for the stone? I wouldn't want to make a complete commitment without seeing the stone first. If you are able to return it if it doesn't perform to your expectations then purchase, take a look and return it if you do not like it. As for expert advise on what to look for, I am sure some of the experts will chime in on that part of your question. Wishing you luck and hope you find the right stone. :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the pictures? 51% is very shallow.

bbc779

Rough_Rock
I don't have great pictures, and I'm really dont want it ripped to shreds on here. I think its the stone we're going to go with and no more comment is necessary!

Sorry for the pointless post!

E B

Ideal_Rock
bbc779|1456352218|3995128 said:
70_ct.png

I don't have great pictures, but I'm really hoping that this diamond isn't ripped to shreds on here.

Why? Nothing's been purchased yet, right?

We can't tell you much from a photo, but it looks like there may be some (a lot of?) leakage on the top half. If that's the case I would pass, but if you don't, I ditto making sure there's a good return policy just in case. Do you need to use this particular jeweler?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you getting a really good price...we could help you look around JA in your budget to see what you could get for
comparison sake. You need to look at a lot of stones and do some comparisons with how well it reflects light/fire etc
compared to other stones. Have you compared it to any well cut rounds? Pears will almost never (ok, never :) )perform as
well as a round but you should compare just so you can see the difference.

bbc779

Rough_Rock
We are getting it for a very good price, yes. We did compare it to other pears within our price range and this was the nicest by far. We understand that in the price range we are buying in we aren't going to get a flawless diamond and are pretty happy with what he found for us.
What exactly is leakage though?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a well cut stone the facets all work together to reflect light back out the top of the stone. In a not so well cut stone
light will leak out the bottom or sides (pavilion area). Shallow stones are more apt to have leakage : (.

Here are some examples...
This would be a better cut pear where you can see well define, clear, crisp facets.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.55-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-895938

This would be a not very well cut stone. You can see the lack of light return out the top of the stone. (Ignore the color).

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.71-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-sku-618055

E B

Ideal_Rock
bbc779|1456355166|3995159 said:
We are getting it for a very good price, yes. We did compare it to other pears within our price range and this was the nicest by far. We understand that in the price range we are buying in we aren't going to get a flawless diamond and are pretty happy with what he found for us.
What exactly is leakage though?

See how on the top portion of the pear (toward the tip and at the edges on both sides) you can see what appears to be the color of his skin?

Is he able to get a video for you? How does the price compare to, say, something like this:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.70-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-847846 (The color and clarity are higher than most really need, but it was one of the nicer pears in a good price range).

tyty: that .55 is purdy! :love:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Measurements and price then let PSers find a couple of diamonds and you can judge better whether you are getting a good deal or done over always good to put mind to rest before purchase not after

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results