shape
carat
color
clarity

Shall I buy the diamond and the setting seperately?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fishy

Rough_Rock
so i could see the hearts and arrows. By the way, I''d like to buy a tiffany classic style 6 prong platinum setting but unfortunately i don''t know the details of it very well, how to describe it? anything need to be noticed? and how much does it cost?

many thanks!

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Hi,

Because of all the things that can go wrong, I feel consumers are better served by having the same vendor supply everything , if possible.

It keeps the chain of responsibility very clear.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2005 8:53:51 AM
Author: Brian Knox

Hi,

Because of all the things that can go wrong, I feel consumers are better served by having the same vendor supply everything , if possible.

It keeps the chain of responsibility very clear.
Yes, buy them separately.

Even when they are being sold by the same vendor, most will sell the ring and the diamond separately. This allows you a much larger selection of possible combinations that will end up getting exactly what you want. What seem like minor details can actually be quite important and this allows for you and/or your appraiser to examine the stone prior to setting in order to make the most informed decision. The only reason I can see for buying pre-mounted goods is speed and the trade off, IMO, is pretty high. In most cases the jeweler can do the setting and sizing work pretty quickly if there's a big deal hanging on it.

Neil Beaty
GG (GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer buying the stone and setting from the same vendor. Most good vendors can either get that Tiffanys setting or make it themselves. It''s so common, jewelers know customers are gonna ask for it.

I like the stone separate b/c I wanted to check out the diamond carefully. A simple solitaire like the Tiffany one is not that important b/c it''s so cheap compared to the stone and so easy to get. If you want a really good cut, you want the stone loose so you can see how teh hearts and arrows look. You want to make sure they''re symmetrical and stuff. You can''t see the hearts if it''s mounted already.

As for how to show the jeweler? If he doesn''t already know what it looks like, just print out a picture. I did. Went straight to the Tiffany''s website, clicked on that ring, the big picture popped up, right click, copy and paste into a word processor, click print.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results