shape
carat
color
clarity

Shady certs???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Hey all,

( http://www.diamondcutters.com/specials.html ) and check out the stones listed. Nothing too unusual so far. Now, look at the certs they have linked to the listed diamonds. Am I missing something, or are the dates they have listed on the certs indicative that the documents themselves should be the new style GIA certs (one I saw had a September, 2002 date)? Also, the diamond diagrams seem to be completely clean, even on stones of SI2 clarity. It looks like they may be using some sort of generic (old-style) GIA blank and entering information for individual stones, at least for display in the web. If so, what sort of shady behavior are they employing over there at diamondcutters? I know nothing of the company who owns the page, but if they're using some web form that they are then inserting information into, that sounds wildly improper to me given the fact that I couldn't find any notices on the site that they are showing anything other than genuine documents. If I were still shopping for a diamond, I would be expecting to see scans of genuine documents, not the sort of thing they appear to have.

In my mind it also raises the question of whether the documents that one would receive if they actually purchased a diamond from them would be genuine.

Anybody ever seen this kind of thing before?

-Tim [/u]

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Well, upon doing about 10 seconds more research, I see that it is indeed a web form they're using. I see that the graphical elements of the report have been grafted onto the page fairly meticulously, with text spaces for the specific characteristics of each stone. Although nicely streamlined for the Internet, it still looks pretty shady, IMO...

-Tim

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very interesting!. I see no inclusions on the plots and there are no GIA report numbers....Strange and potentially something problematic there.

Why not ask them about the missing details and see what they tell you. I think they would be very defensive if I asked them, but someone they might not know would just be a potential customer for all they know.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Looks fishy as hell to me. No girdle information, no symmetry info, no flourescence info, no characteristics on the plots.

I don't think GIA would be too happy seeing their certs portrayed on the Web like that. I know I wouldn't be if someone put my reports up there like that.

Hey Tim, why don't you give them a call like Dave suggests? We'd all be interested in their answer.

Rich, Independent GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

optimized

Shiny_Rock
for a little mischievous fun... (Apparently the IdealBB message board system has trouble with extremely long URLs, so the link above will actually take you to a redirect page on another site. The final destination (with the cert) is the diamondcutters site though...)

Btw, I may contact them about this, but I'm also considering emailing the GIA P.R. department about it to see what they think of it. It'll have to wait though, gotta get back to work....

-Tim
[/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results